Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Reccomendations of SPD pedals under $60

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 07:11 PM
Obeying Gravity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a pair of clipless pedals (first pair). I would think SPD would be best to start out with, I plan to buy pedals online, than shoes at a lbs and I wuld imagine that SPD compatible shoes are most common? I need your guys' recommendations on what pedals. I want to be able to ride like no more than a mile w/o my bike shoes, just with plain shoes. I dont do real hardcore mtbing, i will mainly use them on street and XC trails. I've been looking on eBay at pedals i've been interested in, and most have been about $50-60 new. Here's ones i've looking at:

Shimano PD-M424
Shimano M520
Shimano PD-M324

Words of wisdom?
Old 08-17-05, 07:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well good sir, in order to please your plain shoes request, you may want to look at the Crank Brothers Eggbeater w/ platform. Also known as Mallet. They are a combination platform pedal and clipless pedal.

Although, I have clipless too and have done 5 miles or so with regular shoes. It is not comfortable though.
Old 08-17-05, 08:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cambriabike has Time ATAC Aliums for $51. ATACs were the first set of clipless pedals I got (on multiple people's recommendations), and I love them. I have to admit that when you're not clipped in, the Aliums don't exactly inspire confidence, but I have yet to actually slip off of the pedal when not clipped in -- my feet feel like they're about to come off the side, but they stick like glue.

If you feel the need for a larger platform, the Time Z pedals are at $75 on Cambriabike. They use the same excellent mechanism as the ATACs for clipping in. Not having used them, though, I couldn't say how much the platform might help.

Not having ridden anything else, I can't compare them to other pedals. I'd only ask swifferman where you can find Mallets for $60.

ATAC Alium: https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=11207
Z: https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=10445

[Edit: To be clear, I recommend that you get a pair of Time ATAC Aliums. The cleats are compatible with the 4-bolt pattern found on SPD-compatible shoes.]
Old 08-17-05, 09:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jenson had the M520 for $37 last time I checked
Old 08-18-05, 08:52 PM

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boyRacer
Jenson had the M520 for $37 last time I checked
its worth the extra $ for the Times. take it from a super clutz. Aliums are an excellent pedal,especially for beginners to clipless but they are an excellent pedal for the non beginners as well who are tired of getting stuck in or out of their pedals when the conditions go down and the trail begins to stick to their pedals and cleats. SPD or clones is definetly not a beginner pedal
Old 08-19-05, 12:31 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iamthetas
its worth the extra $ for the Times. take it from a super klutz. Aliums are an excellent pedal,especially for beginners to clipless but they are an excellent pedal for the non beginners as well who are tired of getting stuck in or out of their pedals when the conditions go down and the trail begins to stick to their pedals and cleats. SPD or clones is definetly not a beginner pedal
You got that right. SPD's are notorious for clogging with mud
Old 08-19-05, 09:39 AM
Digs technical steeps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also rec the Time Atac Aliums (small) or Z's (large base). Mindlessly simple to clip in and out.
Old 08-19-05, 03:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
You got that right. SPD's are notorious for clogging with mud

HOLY CATS BATMAN! WE AGREED
Old 08-19-05, 03:32 PM

Bikes: Moots CX, Redline CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been happy with my 520's
Old 08-19-05, 03:39 PM
BBall junkie

Bikes: Trek 4300

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just received word that my 520s have been shipped.

Great price from Jenson as others have pointed out.
Old 08-19-05, 03:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also cast my vote for the Time ATAC Aliums. Easy to clip into, no tension adjustments to hassle with, lots of float, and they work very well in the mud. Also, if you switch the right and left cleats, you can increase or decrease the release angle (I forgot which does which). Plus they're cheap (relatively speaking).
Old 08-19-05, 04:24 PM
Hazardous biker

Bikes: 2005 Santa Cruz Blur Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you do light XC I suggest some 50 bucks shimano pedals with platform (entry level) and some entry level Shimano, Cannondale or Specialized Shoes. Personally I like entry level shoes because you can actually hop off your bike and walk confortable too. High end shoes are a lot stiffer and more energy efficient but if you need to hop off you will end up like walking with a pair of skis under your feet.

Hope this helps,

Ricardo
Old 08-19-05, 08:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got some 661 Nuevos for $29 from JensonUSA. I used them at a place called Duncan Hollow trail on Massenutten mt that was a 24+mile rock garden. the shoes were comfortable the entire time. they are as comfortable to walk in as ride in. they are as stiff on the bottom as my Shimano M180s but feel like a pair of skate shoes above the sole. they even have a "lace keeper" to keep the laces from getting in my chain that actually works. I got them to keep from messing up my "good shoes" and now use them exclusively due to the overall comfort. I still say ATAC pedals
Old 08-20-05, 07:03 PM

Bikes: Old Raleigh Mtn Bike & 2004 Specialized Allez Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm cheap. I got my SPDs from el cheapo. That's right. Nashbar. I they have served me well. no problems at all.
Old 08-20-05, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Old Raleigh Mtn Bike & 2004 Specialized Allez Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm cheap. I got my SPDs from el cheapo. That's right. Nashbar. I they have served me well. no problems at all.
Old 08-20-05, 07:16 PM
wildjim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by MattP.
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a pair of clipless pedals (first pair). I would think SPD would be best to start out with, I plan to buy pedals online, than shoes at a lbs and I wuld imagine that SPD compatible shoes are most common? I need your guys' recommendations on what pedals. I want to be able to ride like no more than a mile w/o my bike shoes, just with plain shoes. I dont do real hardcore mtbing, i will mainly use them on street and XC trails. I've been looking on eBay at pedals i've been interested in, and most have been about $50-60 new. Here's ones i've looking at:

Shimano PD-M424
Shimano M520
Shimano PD-M324

Words of wisdom?
Performance Bike has Crank Brothers Eggbeaters for 59.97 - This is my favorite pedal since trying many others. They are secure, easy to clip into and out of and quiet. I've purchased another set this evening.