Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New commuter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New commuter

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-05, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New commuter

Hey all,
I've been lurking on these forums for a while, but just now registered to post. I have recently become absolutely addicted to cycling and with school starting and gas pushing $2.70 here, I have decided to commute to school. My college is only 5.3 miles away. I've figured out a route that'll involve no horrendous traffic, which will be nice because I've had to deal with some pretty stupid drivers this summer. I was wondering if you experienced commuters could throw any tips my way? My biggest concern is hygiene. When I get back from a ride, I am sweating profusely to say the least! There's no real access to showers or anything like that at my school that would be convenient at all. Any tips? I'll welcome any advice you can throw my way! Thanks a lot!
Old 08-19-05, 08:09 PM
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you a man or woman? I suppose it doesn't matter much.

If you're a man, consider showering before the ride with deoderant soap and then use anti-perspirant. Try to cool down a bit at the end of your ride. Then some people wash up with alcohol or baby wipes. Having clean dry clothes to wear when you get there helps, too. In colder months maybe you won't get so sweaty.

I'm a woman and I shower before the ride then put on some lotion that smells really good (from Victoria's Secret.) I smell good all day. In warmer months I have separate riding and working clothes, but in cooler months I can often wear my casual work clothes and just ride slow.
Old 08-19-05, 08:28 PM
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

Are you sure there aren't showers and lockers at the gym? If not, is there anyplace you can keep some toiletries on campus? If not, you'll just have to carry them with you.

I teach at a community college with no showers on my campus. I keep my toiletries in the office I share with other faculty. I clean up in the restroom using Wet Ones. I put on fresh deodorant and spray with a lightly-scented body spray. It's extremely hot and humid here in Texas and I was riding six miles each way during the summer semester but I still felt fresh and clean after I cooled off.

Be sure to catch the newbie stickie at the top of this forum. Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-20-05, 05:16 AM
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Also get some Underarmour HeatGear (or TurfGear or ColdGear depending ion the weather). The shirts do a fantastic job of getting sweat away from your body.
Old 08-20-05, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A commute is not a race. Slow down. Cool down on the bike by rolling along for the last few mintes. If you are too hot, chuck some water over your head.
Use the most puncture resistant, medium width, slick tyres you can find (Specialized Armadillo). Carry a small puncture repair kit.
If the roads are wet, the fenders will keep you clean.
If you are carrying a heavy load, consider letting the bike support the weight. Fit a rear luggage rack.
Ensure that you have lights and reflectors. Wear a helmet, gloves and bright clothing for protection.
Ride like a vehicle.
Old 08-20-05, 10:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies...to answer all your questions: I'm a guy. There are showers at the gym, but my first class starts at 8, which is when the gym first opens too. (Bad timing). I have a bike already set up with fenders, and front and rear racks, and all that jazz! I'm probably going to try doing a dry run today without school, so we'll see what happens with that!