Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

ike roads by using bike-exempted STOP signs?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

ike roads by using bike-exempted STOP signs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-05, 07:29 AM
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Bikes: bikes from scrap parts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread had been moved to thread: bike-roads with bike-exempted stop signs

Last edited by Scavenger; 08-23-05 at 09:10 PM. Reason: because I goofed up.
Old 08-21-05, 07:35 AM
Why Cars?

Bikes: Schwinn High Plains, modified with all Alivio accesories and more scotch-lite than 3M, Smith and Wesson Police Bike with handcuffs and a gun...heh heh heh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, terrible idea.
Old 08-21-05, 07:48 AM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by myates1980
No, terrible idea.
Yeah, imagine two cyclists coming to an intersection at a right angle... Or motorized vehicles that treat this stop sign like a regular stop sign, assuming that everybody would stop (and that's the way they would treat it, I am afraid). What a collision potential.

Perhaps this idea is workable with some modifications, I donno. One thing is clear to me - rolling through the stop signs should be allowed for cyclists in most cases. The "complete stop" rule makes biking through residential streets a very painful affair. Slowing down to 10 km/h is plenty safe and much easier.
Old 08-21-05, 07:55 AM
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last thing we need is more laws differentiating bikes and other legal vehicles on the road. I mean, it's bad enough most states have the bicycle inferiority clause stating that bikes must abandon the road if there is an adjacent bicycle facility. That’s why I advocate for multi-use paths instead of bike paths. The law says bicycle path or bicycle facility, so I can still use the road it I want.

Any traffic controls exempting bikes will reinforce ignorant car drivers belief that bikes are illegitimate users of the road and do not have full rights.
Old 08-21-05, 08:06 AM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Da Tinker
Any traffic controls exempting bikes will reinforce ignorant car drivers belief that bikes are illegitimate users of the road and do not have full rights.
Such traffic controls already exist. And I do appreciate them. For instance, I love coming up to an intersection and read on a sign "No Left Turn - Bicycles Exempted". There is also talk about introducing bike lanes on one-way streets that go against the flow of traffic, which makes perfect sense because the streets were one-way to force the motorists onto the main artery, but you don't want to force the cyclists there if you are trying to promote cycling. I think the right bicycle-superiority laws are a good idea. At least, it works where I live; maybe wouldn't work as well in some biking-hostile areas.
Old 08-21-05, 02:27 PM
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
Such traffic controls already exist. And I do appreciate them. For instance, I love coming up to an intersection and read on a sign "No Left Turn - Bicycles Exempted". There is also talk about introducing bike lanes on one-way streets that go against the flow of traffic, which makes perfect sense because the streets were one-way to force the motorists onto the main artery, but you don't want to force the cyclists there if you are trying to promote cycling. I think the right bicycle-superiority laws are a good idea. At least, it works where I live; maybe wouldn't work as well in some biking-hostile areas.
Could be you're right. I've never ridden where such considerate delights were available. My area is not so much 'bike hostile' as bike neutral.

Counter-flow bike lanes, however, do make me nervous. I much prefer being where drivers are expecting traffic.
Old 08-21-05, 05:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is also talk about introducing bike lanes on one-way streets that go against the flow of traffic,
Brilliant....