Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Red Bull.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-02, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red Bull.

I was reading the energy boost posts and I was wondering what the consensus on this board is about Red Bull as an energy drink?
Old 08-15-02, 07:56 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I've used Red Bull under very specific circumstances,
and never for riding.
When I lived in Africa, when returning from dive trips,
we had a 1000m climb about 40 minutes from the coast.
Due to a combo of Nitrogen in the bloodstream from
diving, and the altitude you would become VERY tired.
this is not a good thing on a 2 lane road with lots of
twists and turns and no guard rails.
I'd drink a red bull about 10 minutes before hitting that
climb/pass. It seemed to work but I crashed kind of
hard about an hour later (no not the car, someone else
was driving then )
I don't think in cycling it would work. I have some doubts
about Taurine, Guarana etc. Look at all the
(justified) broohaha about Ephedra and Ma Huang.
nope, I just don't think its all that good idea.
just my $.02
Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 08-15-02, 09:32 AM
vlad

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Red Bull? no thanks.

https://www.epinions.com/content_9882668676

Old 08-15-02, 10:26 AM
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guarana is just a source of caffeine. No rocket science there.
Old 08-15-02, 11:04 AM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But doesn't it also have ephedrine in it? Not just caffeine. IOn combination they are many times more powerful than just coffee.

I haven't tried it because ephedrine is very illegal up here (arg it sucks) But when I was bodybuilding I did use supplements of similar chemical design for years(When I had a supplier in Ontario). You get several affects from it.

1 - Weight loss
1a - muscle retention. The chemical makeup stops the body from using muscle as a fuel and forces it to use fat
2 - slight increase in body temp (.5 to 1.5 degrees celsius)
3 - you are UP and very awake and more alert

Some downsides if you take to much

1 - you are WAY UP. This can cause sleep problems and headaches
2 - There are other similar ones to headaches but they generally varry.

Would I use it again? In a heartbeat if I could find a supplier. IMO it has been made illegal wrongfully. I know the risks and probably understand the supplement better than ANY doctoc I have ever seen. I know how much is safe for me and when and how to cycle it properly. That is my last warning too. Don't overuse and use to long. If you plan to use a supplement cycle it in and out. 6 weeks on a few weeks off. DRINK LOTS OF WATER
Old 08-15-02, 12:42 PM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by Maelstrom

Some downsides if you take to much

1 - you are WAY UP. This can cause sleep problems and headaches
2 - There are other similar ones to headaches but they generally varry.
Might I add to this
3 - Known to cause heart attacks
4 - Known to cause stroke
5 - Indicated in changes to psyche which can
lead to psychotic episodes or affective dissorders.

I think that about sums up why I won't be using any
ephedra.

Marty

Old 08-15-02, 01:03 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But you can continue to add to that the caveats of those results. Known heart problems overuse or usage with other dietary or upper style drugs or use with halucinagenics. Sorry but taken as the dosage issues for your size there has never been a death...

As for number 5...is there any proof you can show me of that. I know that claim on steroids but this is the first I have ever heard of it with ephedra (which btw has been used in its purest form for 1000's of years in Asia)
Old 08-15-02, 07:31 PM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
FDA
fda2
ohio state university
CNN report on HHS action
health canada

Maelstrom,
I have no problem with use of stimulant (i.e. coffee/guaranna
etc.) but Ephedra is dangerous. Do a google search on
Ephedra, 1/2 the returned sites are for lawyers offering to
sue everyone and their dog because of ephedra.
The other problem with it is, alot of the supplements are
using a synthetic version of Ephedra, and god knows what that
is doing to you.
Do the work, read the information out there (and not just
the nut case lawyers).
We tout health and fitness here, well personally I'd rather
take my chances smoking 3packs of marlboro reds a day than
take this crap.

Marty

Old 08-15-02, 11:15 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's great if you like massive nosebleeds after exertion (thins your blood) as well as the SHARP dropoff in your "high" afterwards. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!
Old 08-16-02, 12:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have to use it stick with the herbal form Ma Haung not standardized extracts or synthetic version as I recall there are other components in the herbal form that counter the dangerous negative side effects(though not the wired feeling).It is more useful as a fat burner(speeding up metabolism)rather than an energizer and I definately would only use it with low intensity activity/exercise.I could never tolerate it on an empty stomock when it is reportedly most effective or during activity more intense than walking and use to occasionally drink it in a bodybuilding formula that contained 20 grams of whey protein and 20 grams of complex/simple carbs and viewed it as more a meal replacement when I was away from home and engaged in low intensity activity such as beach or mall.I don't miss that they no longer make the formula and have not used ma haung in a number of years.
Old 08-16-02, 04:47 AM
Honorable Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They had Red Bull on the Cycle South Carolina this year. I've never tried it before that.
All I know is, that when I drank one I needed to be near my bike!! It was GO TIME.
Old 08-16-02, 05:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks beowoulfe, for a minute there I thought I was losing my post to all the techno jargon about ephedrine and its side effects. All I needed to know was what people thought of it as an energy booster.
Old 08-16-02, 11:43 AM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by CycleMON
I was losing my post to all the techno jargon about ephedrine and its side effects. All I needed to know was what people thought of it as an energy booster.
CycleMon,

yah, you were losing it to technobabble, but we do that
here.
As I stated in original post (albeit not too clearly) its
an OK energy booster, but runs out rather quickly.
I wouldn't use it in a race situation or during long
organized rides.

Marty

Old 08-16-02, 11:46 AM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
God yeah it is a stimulant in the same classification of 'speed'. BTW is it legal or illegal in the states. I know it isn't allowed up here. And what in the world does it tastes like. Ephedra isn't the tastiest supplement.

Lotec thank you for the documentation it was an interesting read. But as it continuously states the problems relating to the many side affects (granted there are lots) is of overuse. As for the pyscosis I believe you would have to be predisposed to that. Those articles mention it once and unless I saw the medical studies where there was a case of mental disturbance caused by ephedra I have a hard time believing it.

Cheers.
Old 08-16-02, 01:17 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All that about Red Bull is pure crap. It is a fine energy booster. The can is the perfect size to fit in the jersey pocket and it works better than a can of Coke.
It is NOT dangerous, for me or anyone that I have heard, and doesn't even pump you up like an esspresso for me. I don't drink it that much but it has no ill effect and gives a good boost- about the same as liquid Enervit.
I like the taste and the only downside is that it is expensive. Try the Hansens Energy (taurine, ginseng and ginkgo) that works well too. Same size can.
Old 08-16-02, 01:54 PM
Fool O' crap

Bikes: Are faster than yours.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally posted by RacerX
All that about Red Bull is pure crap. It is a fine energy booster. The can is the perfect size to fit in the jersey pocket and it works better than a can of Coke.
It is NOT dangerous, for me or anyone that I have heard, and doesn't even pump you up like an esspresso for me. I don't drink it that much but it has no ill effect and gives a good boost- about the same as liquid Enervit.
I like the taste and the only downside is that it is expensive. Try the Hansens Energy (taurine, ginseng and ginkgo) that works well too. Same size can.
I agree - other than cotton mouth (if you drink it while you ride) or a stomach cramp (if other types of caffine do this to you so will red bull) its fine. I personally don't like it for riding because of the carbonation - but a couple times when i was driving all night it came in handy.
Old 08-16-02, 02:19 PM
WallaWalla!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also don't, generally, drink RedBull because of carbonation and its high price, but I have had it before a ride. It works.
Old 08-16-02, 04:20 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I tried it once and once only. I found that it did absolutely nothing for me except waste some serious $. I think the illusion of extra energy is created because one's wallet is so much lighter after the purchase.

That is all.
Old 08-16-02, 04:30 PM
WallaWalla!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was an article some time ago in Outside Magazine to the effect that Redbull was 90% hype and 10% caffeine. The author had an amusing run-around with a rep about what "Taurine" actually is. If I remember correctly, Redbull has a curious history in Europe - I couldn't find the story online.
Old 08-16-02, 10:11 PM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As an energy booster my wife and I prefer Hansens. It hits you slower, lasts longer and does not cause you to crash because it leaves the body slower. Also tastes better and you can buy it by the case at Costco relitively cheep.
Slainte
Old 08-17-02, 12:08 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey dude that's where I got my Hansens stock- Costco has the deal. Plus with the coupon for buy 1 get 1 free, 2 cases for the price of 1!
Old 08-17-02, 06:46 AM
usnagent007

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
*gnaws a powerbar thoughtfully

Old 08-17-02, 09:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never tried Red Bull. However, I have done a considerable amount of reading on nutritional supplements and energy boosters. Opinions seem to be divided on the boosters. Those that say the boosters are the way to go probably have some reason for saying so.

I do know what has worked effectively for me. In the heat and sun I have experimented with freshly extracted celery and carrot juice. I would drink a quart of 50 - 50 mixture before doing my thing. Everytime after drinking the juice I noticed a definite increase in my resiliance to the sun and heat. Everytime I did not drink the juice I noticed a diminished resiliance to the sun and heat. The difference, while not exactly profound, was very definitely noticeable. I highly recommend it.

I found that while cycling over the Rockies, Snickers bars gave quite a boost, but after the initial kick I was left feeling somewhat frazzled. I also noticed an increase in energy by taking vitamins, minerals, and various herbs while cycling, including ginseng in liquid form.

On one tour on which I averaged eighty-five miles per day (flat land) I snacked on carrots and (what are those little round red vegetables you find in salads? They are so bitter as to be almost inedible). Going over the Apls I snacked on dates and figs. It worked for me, and they help keep you regular.

Freshly extracted, unprocessed fruit and vegetable juices are the most effective energy boosters I have found yet. I will also add that I have not tried these energy bars and drink boosters because I always felt that they were too expensive.
Old 08-17-02, 11:57 AM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JS has it. If you decide not to use an energy supplement, then bring enough snacks so you can keep enough "fuel" in your system to keep you going.
One other thing about the guarnine and ma-hung, they both act as diuretics so you need to consune more water then normal. Also remember that supplements will affect every one differently.
Slainte
Old 08-17-02, 02:13 PM
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used some Red Bull on the Tour De Cure. I liked it. We were 20 miles from the end and riding at a fast pace, I was dying. I was so sick of Chocolate Ravage Gu's that I could puke. Then the Red Bull truck pulled up and handed me an icy cold one, I drank a little of it ful power, and then mixed the rest in a water bottle. I made it to the end, with no more Gu's. I like Red Bull!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.