Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Sigh.....

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Sigh.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-05, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sigh.....

I'm currently in my third week of not commuting in fact I haven't been on the bike at all. Long story short I had a physical with a new doctor who after doing an exam and getting a family history suspects I have Marfan's syndrome. I've been to three doctors in three weeks and none of them has been able to say conclusively if I have this thing or not but they've all advised me to lay off the exercise until they know for sure. My father died of a heart attack when he was 42, his mother when she was 38, and now that I've learned a little bit about Marfan's syndrome I see why the doctors suspect I have it.

But god do I miss riding to work. Even taking my motorcycle, which is better than a car, is still miles below the feeling I got climbing that last hill before the office.

-bikebuddha
very cranky from not riding.
Old 08-22-05, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, sorry to hear about that...Hopefully it turns out to be nothing too serious and you back on two wheels again...Good luck.

Steve
Old 08-22-05, 06:19 PM
Crazy Like a Daisy

Bikes: Giant OCR-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yikes...sounds like you are on pins and needles waiting to hear something definite. that is the worst time; when you don't know what you want to know. i've not heard of Marfan's syndrome; what is it?

....and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 08-22-05, 06:35 PM

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goggle told me it was:

Marfan's syndrome is an autosomal dominant inherited abnormality which has been localized to a mutation in Chromosome 15. Cardiovascular features include mitral valve prolapse, mitral regurgitation, aortic insufficiency, and aortic root dilation which can progress or be complicated by dissection. The mean age for cardio- vascular events is 32 years.

Small retrospective studies suggest an increased risk of aortic dissection in women with Marfan's syndrome who become pregnant. In women with preconception aortic dilation, greater risk is due to the changes of cardiac output and plasma volume that occur by the 6th week of pregnancy and the increased stress during labor. Vaginal delivery is acceptable in patients with Marfan's and epidural anesthesia may be helpful in lowering the blood pressure at delivery. However if the aortic root is greater than 4 cm a cesarean section should be considered.

Decipher that. Sorry to hear that you can't ride. Hopefully they'll find that your perfectly healthy and tell you that you need to double up on riding once they release you.
Old 08-22-05, 07:25 PM
Why Cars?

Bikes: Schwinn High Plains, modified with all Alivio accesories and more scotch-lite than 3M, Smith and Wesson Police Bike with handcuffs and a gun...heh heh heh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From www.marfan.org :

The Marfan syndrome is a heritable condition that affects the connective tissue. The primary purpose of connective tissue is to hold the body together and provide a framework for growth and development. In the Marfan syndrome, the connective tissue is defective and does not act as it should. Because connective tissue is found throughout the body, the Marfan syndrome can affect many body systems, including the skeleton, eyes, heart and blood vessels, nervous system, skin and lungs.

The Marfan syndrome affects men, women and children, and has been found among people of all races and ethnic backgrounds. It is estimated that at least 1 in 5,000 people in the United States have the disorder.
Old 08-22-05, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
not to sound ummmm..... I don't know the right word ??? Sadistic ?

Anyways first off it sucks to hear your story! and I am sorry and I hope the Dr. turn out to be wrong. But if they are right, how long can you extend life by not exercising??

In other words, why prolong the enevitable and be cranky? In other words, ride and be happy and when it is time to go... you at least had fun.

And can you not ride at all? it is only exercise if it is work..... just leave twice as early and go half as fast
Old 08-22-05, 07:45 PM
Easily distracted...

Bikes: Surley Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Budda, I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you the best news possible and I'll be looking for you again on the mean streets of Hotlanta.
Old 08-22-05, 08:41 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys I saw the Atlanta cycling crew out tonight which put me in the mood to ride.
Old 08-22-05, 10:23 PM
Infiltrator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish all the best to you buddha. Hope you'll be back riding soon.
Old 08-23-05, 05:53 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Sorry to hear the news.

I'm not prying but what type of doctor did you go to?

Have you tried other doctors (internal medicine docs, cardiologists, or neurologists) from "reputable" medical facilities like St. Joseph's, Northside, Emory, or Piedmont?

Did you mention the "condition" to the other doctors or did they tell you to lay off exercise from their own conclusions?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-23-05, 06:55 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Sorry to hear the news.

I'm not prying but what type of doctor did you go to?

Have you tried other doctors (internal medicine docs, cardiologists, or neurologists) from "reputable" medical facilities like St. Joseph's, Northside, Emory, or Piedmont?

Did you mention the "condition" to the other doctors or did they tell you to lay off exercise from their own conclusions?
So far I've been to two general medicine practitioners, I've got an appointment with a cardiologist at St. Joes next Wednesday. I think the doctors are being overly cautious until I can have an echocardiogram.
Old 08-31-05, 07:46 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well I met with the cardio guy today and after listing the numerous problems with my ticker he's given me the ok to resume commuting as long as I don't push myself to hard. Just in time, gas just hit $3 a gallon here in Atlanta.

The bad news is I’ve probably got the Marfan’s gene and will likely be visiting the cardiologist the rest of my life.
Old 09-01-05, 05:13 AM
Crazy Like a Daisy

Bikes: Giant OCR-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wahooo! back on the bike! even if you have to "take it easy", I'm sure that you are happy to be rolling again. sorry to hear about your diagnosis, though. stay strong and try not to let it get you down.
Liz

....and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 09-01-05, 08:53 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebuddha
Well I met with the cardio guy today and after listing the numerous problems with my ticker he's given me the ok to resume commuting as long as I don't push myself to hard.
Glad to hear it.

Originally Posted by bikebuddha
The bad news is I’ve probably got the Marfan’s gene and will likely be visiting the cardiologist the rest of my life.
Sorry to hear it. I guess having a regular checkup is the best approach.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.