Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any other riders with kidney failure?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-05, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just wondering if there were any others on dialysis or with a kidney transplant who still ride a bike. I would be very interesting in hearing others' experiences.

Pierre
Old 08-22-05, 06:00 PM

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Moab2 cross-country racing, highly modified, rebuilt many, many times. very fast!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually a wheelchair can be modified into a enjoyable mode of transportation depending on your wants and needs. If you are interested in a modified recumbent cossbreed vehicle, send me a note. There is a riding position for everyone Longfemur
Old 08-23-05, 03:23 AM
EARTH IS FULL. GO HOME.

Bikes: Jeep Cherokee-se, Euro Eco-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't comment on kidney failure or your specific case but I've a congenital heart defect which limits my cycling activitys. I've been looking at some of the electric assist bikes lately. Here's a (UK) website which may be of interest.

https://www.atob.org.uk/
https://www.atob.org.uk/Electric_Buyers'_Guide.html
Old 08-23-05, 08:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can ride a regular road bike, no problem. I'm not disabled in that way at all. I let myself get out of shape during the couple of years I was pre-dialysis, mainly because I was anemic and I would get short of breath within just a few minutes of riding. Then when I started dialysis, they put me on EPO (most dialysis patients need EPO to keep a reasonable level of hemoglobin), but it's only enough to have a hematocrit of about 35 - so in my case, it ain't no performance enhancing drug! They don't let you go higher than that because it increases the chances of clotting in the dialysis access. So, what I'm finding is that, despite trying to ride every couple of days, it's extremely hard to get back into decent shape. I was wondering if there are any other cyclists here who have gone through this.
Old 08-23-05, 12:06 PM
Bent_Rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I met a fellow who was riding with some folks in know in the Tour De Penisula near SF CA. I was running on one failed kidney and I was told he is undergoing dialysis and waiting for a transplant.

He completed the 30 mile course, but was very slow and had to stop on the hills to rest.
Brave man and he had my respect.
Old 08-23-05, 01:37 PM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received a kidney pancreas transplant four years ago this month. It took three years of being on the waiting list for me, but I had other complications also. The chemo dialysis treatment lasted for two years.
Old 08-23-05, 03:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I hope you're doing well. I only need a kidney. I will have been on the waiting list 3 years next month.