Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

new brooks saddle!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

new brooks saddle!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 08:54 AM

Bikes: condor, bj on the way.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new brooks saddle!

getting a new brooks saddle tomorrow and i was wondering how long it takes to break one in?
Old 08-23-05, 09:11 AM
Seen your member!

Bikes: A black one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Team Pro and I would honestly say it got really good at about 700 miles. After that, just got better and better. The more expensive ones take longer to break in. It really depends on you though, different body shapes and weights probably can get this done sooner. Still definitely worth the wait.
Old 08-23-05, 09:14 AM
Seen your member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, I should say that I had a B17 that I would say was totally comfortable and rideable right out of the box. But this may have been my a$$ just being broken in from 2000 miles on the Team Pro saddle. Really depends.
Old 08-23-05, 09:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My B17 immediately felt more comfortable than any saddle I'd ever tried. Agonize over the set-up position (fore/aft and tilt). Brooks are unforgiving if the tilt isn't just right because you'll slip and slide on the leather.
Old 08-23-05, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a B-17 that took a little while to get used to. Maybe about 3-months. I also have a B-17 Professional that felt great in a week. Both are honey...mmmm honey.
Old 08-23-05, 09:36 AM

Bikes: DW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bought a b17 used and was a little worried that it wasn't gonna feel right, but it was amazing straight out of the… um, stoop sale. it has gotten better too, and is by far the most comfortable saddle i have owned (and my god i've owned some saddles)
Old 08-23-05, 10:00 AM
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I just got a b17 last week and so far its not bad right out of the box. I can tell though that it needs to break in. It reminds me of breaking in a fine pair of Italian hiking boots. One day they just broke in and have been comfortable ever since.
Old 08-23-05, 10:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got a swift on my bike and i love it.. but it does take awhile to break in. Buy the proof ride cream from brooks - it helps. I also heard that soaking it in water the taking it for a ride quickens the break-in perios, but i haven't tried that.
Old 08-23-05, 10:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got caught in the rain and it did "break it in" faster. I really don't think I would recommend getting it wet though. I did have to tighten up the tension bolt after it dried. Best that you can do is follow the directions provided by Brooks on how to treat your saddle.
Old 08-23-05, 11:15 AM
likes avocadoes

Bikes: heh, like that info would fit here...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not that the thread needs another 'me too', but after putting my b17 on two weeks ago I was more comfortable instantly. It's got about 600 miles on it now, and is getting even better.
Old 08-23-05, 11:43 AM
Radio Bemba 00.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know the brooks thing comes up all the time, but for you guys with the b17s... you feel good? even though, (i would assume) your bars are lower than your saddle. Because the way brooks breaks it down for you, it would seem that a b17 wouldn't be the right model for a track bike... what's your experiences with this?
Old 08-23-05, 11:55 AM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I have both B17's and B17N's (narrower version). I run lower bars (not too radical) with both saddles....no problems.
Old 08-23-05, 12:12 PM

Bikes: condor, bj on the way.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the info everyone.
lol...i must be the only one not getting the b17!!
i chose the conquest cos i liked the springs...lol...oh well...!
Old 08-23-05, 12:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm probably about a 2-4 inch drop to the bars. It's not bad. I do have the nose of the saddle tilted down slighly.
Old 08-23-05, 12:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"also heard that soaking it in water the taking it for a ride quickens the break-in perios, but i haven't tried that."

yikes!
Old 08-23-05, 12:56 PM
Yay!11! I has!!!1

Bikes: Cocaine the white stallion, Custom Witcomb pista, (Being restored) 80's Pogliaghi Track, (destroyed) RAP Round Breeze NJS, Cannondale Jekyll 900, 84/5 Pinarello Montello (all italian)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's weird, water and leather don't usually mix too well. You should probably check into that before you do it.

I know this has been asked before but theirs a gorgeous black san marco (i think that's what it is at least) with copper rivets. I'm deciding between that and the brooks. Any advice?
Old 08-23-05, 12:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EnLaCalle
I know the brooks thing comes up all the time, but for you guys with the b17s... you feel good? even though, (i would assume) your bars are lower than your saddle. Because the way brooks breaks it down for you, it would seem that a b17 wouldn't be the right model for a track bike... what's your experiences with this?
i have mine set up flat with drop bars and it's great. it's the b17 narrow. perhaps there's some issue with the non-narrow model and dropped riding positions, maybe (i'm assuming there's a non-narrow model since they make a point of the narrow thing). iunno. it is the most comfortable saddle though
Old 08-23-05, 01:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ImOnCrank
That's weird, water and leather don't usually mix too well. You should probably check into that before you do it.

I know this has been asked before but theirs a gorgeous black san marco (i think that's what it is at least) with copper rivets. I'm deciding between that and the brooks. Any advice?
yea i saw this yesterday for the first time, flipped it over. it's a regular saddle, ie plastic form, padding and a leather skin. the rivets are entirely decorative. doesn't really look that great in the flesh. at all, in fact. also more expensive than a b17 from nashbar. pointless to my mind
Old 08-23-05, 01:10 PM
Yay!11! I has!!!1

Bikes: Cocaine the white stallion, Custom Witcomb pista, (Being restored) 80's Pogliaghi Track, (destroyed) RAP Round Breeze NJS, Cannondale Jekyll 900, 84/5 Pinarello Montello (all italian)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well said. That answers that.
Old 08-23-05, 01:11 PM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by desire
thanks for the info everyone.
lol...i must be the only one not getting the b17!!
i chose the conquest cos i liked the springs...lol...oh well...!
I have a Conquest on my Nishiki MTB - took hardly any time at all to break in - I've done 50+ mile rides on it, and a couple of centuries - no problem at all - you'll have a blast! …and, yes the springs are cool!

- Wil
Old 08-23-05, 06:08 PM
Seen your member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOOOO! I have heard over and over from experts (even Sheldon Brown) that water is definitely a BAD thing for Brooks. It may seem like they are more comfortable after wet but you are shortening the life of the leather.
Old 08-23-05, 06:13 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slodo
NOOOO! I have heard over and over from experts (even Sheldon Brown) that water is definitely a BAD thing for Brooks. It may seem like they are more comfortable after wet but you are shortening the life of the leather.
Yes, because England has such a dry climate.
Old 08-23-05, 06:18 PM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I have the Conquest as well. It's basically a Pro with springs. It doesn't matter.....Conquest, Professional, Swift, B17, B66, B whatever....you'll get to love your Brooks.
Old 08-23-05, 10:45 PM
likes avocadoes

Bikes: heh, like that info would fit here...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EnLaCalle
I was using a terry fly ti saddle (a fast, racy saddle) before the brooks. I almost never used the drops because I was so uncomfortable there. Now I spend most of my time in the drops with the brooks...hbars are about 3 cm below saddle on a 60cm (c-c) frame...not too low, but not grandpa style either...I leave that for my newest fixie.
Old 08-23-05, 11:40 PM

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have B17 and a Team Pro coming, any day now. If I remember the figures, the B17 is 170mm wide, and the Team Pro is 160. The B17N is 150, which seems to be on the narrow side for me. The Pro will go on my more serious bike, which I'm often wearing bike shorts on, and the B17 will go on the Langster which is just used for the mundane grocery runs, shopping trips, and general cruising around. Usually no bike shorts worn on that one.

I'm really looking forward to this!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.