Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Biking Documentary

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-05, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For all of you cross country cycling enthusiasts out there, I'd like to announce the release of what we believe is the only film availalbe about cross country biking. After doing some great tours over the last couple of years, our crew at Cirque Productions has put together a film about a ride of the Northern Tier and the West Coast. The film is called 'Share the Road: Tales from a Band of Gypsy Bikers.' The DVD has a great all orginal soundtrack, and does a nice job of capturing the joys of a traveling/adventuring lifestyle, and what life is like on a bike for a few months.

You can find a trailer and more about the film at our website www.CirqueVideo.com. If anyone is a backpacking fan, you may be familiar with our previous release; TREK: A Journey on the Appalachian Trail.

We would love to hear some feedback, so if you get a chance to see the film, please let us know how you liked it.

Strider 01
Old 08-30-05, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Trek 520, Giant VT1, Norco Scrambler, Norco Unicycle, Dirtsurfer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen something similar about touring on the Great Divide Trail:

https://www.bicycletouring101.com/VideoTapeTour.htm

Definately interested in checking out your flavour.

~Jamie N
Old 08-30-05, 12:18 PM
Alien lifeform

Bikes: 2002 Specialized Expedition Elite, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the 'Share the Road: Tales from a Band of Gypsy Bikers.' DVD after I saw another post here recently. I was pretty dissappointed. It was too short (about an hour) and the picture quality gave me a headache (looked like it was filmed with a web cam at 15fps). It didn't have a documentary feel to it as much as a bunch of kids who brought a video camera with them on tour and shot some video of themselves.

I bought it from Amazon, and felt it was way too expensive for what I got. Reading some of the travelouges on crazyguyonabike.com has been much more satisfying.
Old 08-30-05, 02:05 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Strider01
For all of you cross country cycling enthusiasts out there, I'd like to announce the release of what we believe is the only film availalbe about cross country biking. After doing some great tours over the last couple of years, our crew at Cirque Productions has put together a film about a ride of the Northern Tier and the West Coast. The film is called 'Share the Road: Tales from a Band of Gypsy Bikers.' The DVD has a great all orginal soundtrack, and does a nice job of capturing the joys of a traveling/adventuring lifestyle, and what life is like on a bike for a few months.

You can find a trailer and more about the film at our website www.CirqueVideo.com. If anyone is a backpacking fan, you may be familiar with our previous release; TREK: A Journey on the Appalachian Trail.

We would love to hear some feedback, so if you get a chance to see the film, please let us know how you liked it.

Strider 01
I bought the video after seeing a posting about it here. I've watched it twice and found it entertaining and fun.
Old 08-30-05, 02:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got this movie recently from Amazon, and I must say I'm quite impressed. Plenty of scenery and actics that reminded me of my ride on the Northern Tier a few years ago. The music is also very good, and I just bought a CD of the band (Big Pretty and the Red Rockets) that did the soundtrack for the film, so hopefully that'll be good too.

Samundsen mentioned that the movie didn't have a documentary feel to it, I'm not sure what he meant by that. Yes, a bunch of folks went on a long distance bike trip and filmed themselves, and then told the story of the journey through the film medium. I'm not sure how that doesn't count as a documentary. Anyway, I really liked how they changed up the format, using the different narrators and even the poem/verse-style of the third narrator.

I'd recommend this film to anyone interested in bike travel; it certainly made me want to get back out there soon...
Old 08-30-05, 08:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was more of a home video than a real documentary. Not at all worth the money.

I thought the third narrator's style was annoying. And that 13 year old kid talking about his return to school. Geez. What a joke. I feel bad for the kid. He'll have a hard time making any friends.
Old 08-30-05, 08:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeFreek
I got this movie recently from Amazon, and I must say I'm quite impressed. Plenty of scenery and actics that reminded me of my ride on the Northern Tier a few years ago. The music is also very good, and I just bought a CD of the band (Big Pretty and the Red Rockets) that did the soundtrack for the film, so hopefully that'll be good too.

Samundsen mentioned that the movie didn't have a documentary feel to it, I'm not sure what he meant by that. Yes, a bunch of folks went on a long distance bike trip and filmed themselves, and then told the story of the journey through the film medium. I'm not sure how that doesn't count as a documentary. Anyway, I really liked how they changed up the format, using the different narrators and even the poem/verse-style of the third narrator.

I'd recommend this film to anyone interested in bike travel; it certainly made me want to get back out there soon...
Gee I wonder if you stand to profit at all from the sale of this home video er, uh... documentary..
Old 08-30-05, 08:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would you ask that? It's probably just a coincidence that his first post ever to this forum was about the DVD.

Originally Posted by jcwitte
Gee I wonder if you stand to profit at all from the sale of this home video er, uh... documentary..
Old 08-30-05, 09:53 PM

Bikes: None - yet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcwitte
It was more of a home video than a real documentary. Not at all worth the money.

I thought the third narrator's style was annoying. And that 13 year old kid talking about his return to school. Geez. What a joke. I feel bad for the kid. He'll have a hard time making any friends.
Feel bad for the kid?! Most thirteen year-olds spend their summers comatose on the couch playing nintendo, or singing camp songs around a campfire at some dinky summer camp, or far, far worse. But this kid biked across a good chunk of the country, a feat people twice his age rarely attempt or achieve, and you think his experience was a joke?

This summer I biked from San Fran to Ocracoke along the Western Express and TransAmerica routes (https://katexusa.blogspot.com), and I actually rode with this kid and his "friends" (bunch of 16-18 yr olds) for a while as they attempted a coast-to-coast cross-country trip. They made it, and are now heading back to high school with an epic adventure under their belts. Man, what a joke. I sure feel bad for them.

Seriously though, any video that has the potential to inspire others to get off their butts and get on a bike should be lauded, not bashed.