Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Round receiver hitch adapter

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-05, 02:04 PM

Bikes: GT Avalanche 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, ive tried googling. All I got was tubular steel hitches. I also checked one or two places, but just found size adapters (2" to 1.5", etc).

What im looking for is an adapter to go from a round female receiver hitch, to a standard square one for bike racks, etc.

Heres a pic of the factory hitch for my car. Kinda goofy I know I want to keep this one rather than hacking in another complete hitch, as this as higher load ratings than any other options (2500 pounds tow, 250 tongue). Non factory has 1000 or less tow, and 100 tongue. Also, non factory options require drilling into the car, which isnt an option. That and ive already paid for this

So does anyone know of a site that sells something like this? Or a place that will custom make one?
Old 08-31-05, 02:21 PM

Bikes: Trek 930 mutt (beater) Gary Fisher '98 Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thedge
Yes, ive tried googling. All I got was tubular steel hitches. I also checked one or two places, but just found size adapters (2" to 1.5", etc).

What im looking for is an adapter to go from a round female receiver hitch, to a standard square one for bike racks, etc.

Heres a pic of the factory hitch for my car. Kinda goofy I know I want to keep this one rather than hacking in another complete hitch, as this as higher load ratings than any other options (2500 pounds tow, 250 tongue). Non factory has 1000 or less tow, and 100 tongue. Also, non factory options require drilling into the car, which isnt an option. That and ive already paid for this

So does anyone know of a site that sells something like this? Or a place that will custom make one?
What's that off of?

While I can't claim to be an expert on hitch varieties, I've never seen a round one like that, and I'm a bit of a gearhead. They're usually square as the shape limits movement inherently.

Anyway- What's the diameter of the receiver? Have you checked with fabrication shops in your area? While I'm sure I can make an adapter (just a handy guy, not a professional fabricator or metalworker) I'll bet a local shop would be fast/easier.
Old 08-31-05, 04:00 PM

Bikes: GT Avalanche 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slooney
What's that off of?

While I can't claim to be an expert on hitch varieties, I've never seen a round one like that, and I'm a bit of a gearhead. They're usually square as the shape limits movement inherently.

Anyway- What's the diameter of the receiver? Have you checked with fabrication shops in your area? While I'm sure I can make an adapter (just a handy guy, not a professional fabricator or metalworker) I'll bet a local shop would be fast/easier.
Its the factory hitch kit for my Porsche 944 Turbo. Id never seen a round one like that either

Looking at the pics, it seems to have a square socket in the back that the end of the ball arm sits into. Im hoping there will be something available online, but if not ill see what I can whip up myself or get a shop to do.

Dont know the diameter, theyre still in transit. Ill prolly be able to pick the boxes up this weekend.
Old 09-01-05, 08:08 AM
@#$% cars

Bikes: '02 Schwinn Frontier;'03 Fisher Tiburon; '04 Raleigh Companion; 04 Dahon SpeedPro; 69 Raleigh Sport fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thedge
it seems to have a square socket in the back that the end of the ball arm sits into.
Can you take out the ball arm to expose the square socket ... and then attach the rack there?
Old 09-01-05, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you could go to a local welding shop or steel fabrication shop and have them fab you up one. I'm sure it wouldn't cost too much. Just need one piece of round and one piece of square tubing welded together with a couple of big holes drilled for the pins.

Last edited by dragracer; 09-01-05 at 08:26 AM.