Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My bike is 10 ft under right now.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My bike is 10 ft under right now.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-05, 02:14 PM
It's a Sledgehammer..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all. It looks as though I have become a Florida resident for an indefinite amount of time. The wife and kids and I evacuated New Orleans a couple days ago to Orlando where my wife is from and as you all know it is getting uglier by the minute back at home. My bikes, one car, and pretty much everything except for pictures and a suitcase of clothes is now under 10ft of filthy water with the house. Its very possible that we have just become Floridians. When we first left the city, we intended on staying at my parents' house one hour away in Louisiana for the weekend, and then return home to pick up limbs and such just as we have several times in the past, but when we saw reports of the cat 5 behemoth bearing down, we high-tailed it over here to Orlando. It sucks knowing that we left so much in New Orleans, but it hasn't sunken in long enough to really bother us about our stuff. It also sucks not having a bike to ride, too, especially since this area offers SO much better riding opportunities than New Orleans. I'm borrowing a friend's computer right now. Looks like we're going to have to start looking for some temporary (or not so temporary) employment and schools for the kids, because its becoming more obvious that our home is not going to be an option for quite some time, if ever. I'm certainly not writing for sympathy or anything like that... just touching base with everyone. Glad to know that this place still exists. -Jason
P.S. How do you think an aluminum Fuji Roubaix pro will fair after several weeks underwater?
Old 08-31-05, 02:22 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR CF, Raleigh Fixie, Bridgestone Radac, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jason:

I know you're not looking for sympathy, but you have mine. Human suffering and loss means far more than all the "Hey, I maced a rude SUV motorist" or "DA vs. Record" threads combined, at least to me.

Good to hear you and your family are safe, I'm sure over time the shock and reality of the loss will sink in, but might also put the greater joys of life into perspective.

And on a lighter note, at least the Roubaix won't rust, unlike a "steel is real" frame.

Kiss your wife and kids and be thankful you're all healthy and safe.

Regards,

Tim
Old 08-31-05, 02:22 PM

Bikes: 2003 Jamis Nova - commuter setup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's aluminum I'd think the frame would fare fine along with other non-steel components. The rest of it should probably be tossed.

Regarding your relocation, be thankful (I'm sure you are) you're alive. The mayor has now put his estimated death toll in the thousands.

My prayers to you, your friends and family, and everyone affected. We have a good friend in Biloxi who likely did not evacuate, and his home is close to the water. We've yet to hear from him.
Old 08-31-05, 02:24 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The important thing is that you and your loved ones are safe. Everything else can be replaced.
Old 08-31-05, 02:24 PM
Space for rent!

Bikes: Colnago Dream B-Stay, Trek Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad you and your family are safe. I have friends and colleagues in New Orleans. The company I work for has a clinical research facility in New Orleans. Sounds like the buidling is in a undertermined number of feet of water. As for the frame, aluminum won't rust like steel so the frame may be OK. The components, however, may be a loss.
Old 08-31-05, 02:26 PM
mamafitz

Bikes: Serotta CDA, Cannondale R800, mid-80's Bianchi hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even though you may not be looking for sympathy, please know that you're getting some anyway, along with everyone else facing the aftermath of the storm.

Sure wish I could give you a happy answer to the question about the longevity of your underwater ride...but I hope your losses are minimal!

My best to you and your family,

B
Old 08-31-05, 02:31 PM
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJ
P.S. How do you think an aluminum Fuji Roubaix pro will fair after several weeks underwater?
New bar tape, relube the chain, and you're off.

I have a couple friends that live down there in the uptown parts. Doesn't matter as they're flooding out too. Going to miss the muffalettas at Cafe Maspero and the beignets and chickory coffee at Cafe Du Monde.

Glad you're out safe. The loss of property will sting for a while, but your family is whole. Had Katrina veered west a little more and you found yourself east of its eye, there wouldn't be much left standing to return to.
Old 08-31-05, 02:31 PM
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't imagine how they are going to rebuild that area. I remember seeing the levees and thinking it's a disaster waiting to happen, specifically wondering what a hurricane would do to that area. Blows my mind to think of the aid that will be required to bring New Orleans back to where it was. I have a co-worker who grew up in a poor flood-plain area in Arkansas that saw their house flooded twice. The first time they rebuilt as her dad was a builder. The second time they had the means to flee and flee they did.
Old 08-31-05, 02:33 PM

Bikes: Seven Axiom SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm wondering how many New Orleans residents won't even bother going back or try to rebuild. If you have to start completely over, you can start over somewhere else where this won't happen again.
Old 08-31-05, 02:39 PM
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
DocJ, do you know if its true that the drainage and pump system had worsened in recent years or hasn't been able to keep up? About five years ago, while out on the town for a friend's wedding, a thundershower popped up and rained on us for about 20 minutes. It wasn't ten minutes after it began raining that the water in the street was up to our calves. I had been down there years earlier when this didn't happen.
Old 08-31-05, 02:40 PM
It's a Sledgehammer..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikdes
If it's aluminum I'd think the frame would fare fine along with other non-steel components. The rest of it should probably be tossed.

Regarding your relocation, be thankful (I'm sure you are) you're alive. The mayor has now put his estimated death toll in the thousands.

My prayers to you, your friends and family, and everyone affected. We have a good friend in Biloxi who likely did not evacuate, and his home is close to the water. We've yet to hear from him.
Don't jump to conclusions yet about your friend.. no one in the region has any phone/cell service and won't for a long time. I have lots of family back in Louisiana that I'm having trouble contacting, too, but those I talked to said that very few places even in the broad surrounding areas have any type of services at all.
Old 08-31-05, 02:41 PM
JOCP Lives!

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't feel bad.
You got your health and your family.
Material possessions can be replaced.
And your bike will be fine with some repairs, tune-up, and some new components.
Old 08-31-05, 02:45 PM
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best of luck with everything.
Old 08-31-05, 02:50 PM
It's a Sledgehammer..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcasillo
DocJ, do you know if its true that the drainage and pump system had worsened in recent years or hasn't been able to keep up? About five years ago, while out on the town for a friend's wedding, a thundershower popped up and rained on us for about 20 minutes. It wasn't ten minutes after it began raining that the water in the street was up to our calves. I had been down there years earlier when this didn't happen.
There have been a few "modern" additional pumps added in recent years, but there is still immediate flooding in parts of the city after several minutes of rain. New Orleans as a city has been on the verge of bankruptcy for as long as I can remember. Compared to other cities in the US, its basic systems (roads, schools, etc) have long been in horrible disrepair. Its a city that couldn't even maintain itself, and now I can't see it possibly rebuilding any time soon. Officials are starting to question whether its foolish to even try or if N.O. may be an Atlantis. By the way, thank you all for the concern. I appreciate it. I wish that I could be back home to help out somehow.
Old 08-31-05, 02:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know you, but glad to hear you and your family are OK. I'm glad you had sense enough to pay attention to the warnings and get the heck out of there. Homes can be rebuilt. Bikes can be replaced. Lost lives can not.
God Bless.
Old 08-31-05, 02:55 PM
JOCP Lives!

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least you won't have to suffer through another season with the Saints anymore!

Zing.

Sorry, trying to add a little humor to the situation.
Old 08-31-05, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300 converted into SS, Mongoose Cannan Elite, GT Pro Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best of luck! While you may have lost a lot of material things, you still have your family and thats most important! I think your bicycle will be one of the few things you can actually recover and still make use from. Come move the the NC moutians! No hurricanes to mess with and some excellent riding!

Good Luck!
Old 08-31-05, 03:03 PM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
DocJ,

Glad to hear you and the family are ok.
How did your folks (1 hour away? Slidell area?) make out?
I'm of similiar mind as the rest of the posters (for the most part)
be glad y'all are ok, you can always rebuild etc.
My Brother lived in Orlando, nice area. Have family in Jacksonville also.
Originally Posted by gcasillio
New bar tape, relube the chain, and you're off.
I'd probably repack the bearings.

Good luck,
Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 08-31-05, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God...what a mess. Good to hear your OK. Good Luck.
Old 08-31-05, 03:15 PM
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're okay. Sorry to hear about the loss of your home and all your possessions.

At least you were smart enough to leave and you still have your family. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-31-05, 03:27 PM
Go Titans!!

Bikes: '04 Eddy Merckx Team SC - Record - Rolf Prima Vigor; Andy Hampsten Cinghiale - Dura Ace 7800 - Rolf Elan Aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DocJ, glad you're ok. My uncle evacuated this weekend to his brother's house in Houston. Having visited him in 2004 for New Years, I have a lot of fond memories of the city and partying with the LSU fans for the National Championship.

Definitely, I hope the city can rebuild and restore itself with better safeguards in the future, at least with the levees. My uncle lives in the East Side and says his home and belongings are under water as well. Incidental property can be replaced, but a lot of his sentimental belongings can't.

I'd say your bike computer is hosed, but the aluminum and mechanical parts can be salvaged.
Old 08-31-05, 04:16 PM
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, there is not a lot i can say that hasn't already been said, but you, your family, and everyone else down there are in my prayers.
Old 08-31-05, 04:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you made it out with each other, you have all that you really needed. Nice going and hang in there. I can't imagine what it is like for you and yours. I'll remember you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-31-05, 04:43 PM

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJ
Hello all. It looks as though I have become a Florida resident for an indefinite amount of time. The wife and kids and I evacuated New Orleans a couple days ago to Orlando where my wife is from and as you all know it is getting uglier by the minute back at home. My bikes, one car, and pretty much everything except for pictures and a suitcase of clothes is now under 10ft of filthy water with the house. Its very possible that we have just become Floridians. When we first left the city, we intended on staying at my parents' house one hour away in Louisiana for the weekend, and then return home to pick up limbs and such just as we have several times in the past, but when we saw reports of the cat 5 behemoth bearing down, we high-tailed it over here to Orlando. It sucks knowing that we left so much in New Orleans, but it hasn't sunken in long enough to really bother us about our stuff. It also sucks not having a bike to ride, too, especially since this area offers SO much better riding opportunities than New Orleans. I'm borrowing a friend's computer right now. Looks like we're going to have to start looking for some temporary (or not so temporary) employment and schools for the kids, because its becoming more obvious that our home is not going to be an option for quite some time, if ever. I'm certainly not writing for sympathy or anything like that... just touching base with everyone. Glad to know that this place still exists. -Jason
Jason,

What kind of work are you looking for? There's lots of electronics industry over here. I'm over on the coast in Melbourne. Orlando has "hills", we have a 15mph easterly wind every day - except for when it's stronger.

The devastation we see on TV has me like a deer in the headlights. It's almost unimaginable to me. Like you say, on saturday when it was a 175mph storm, I would have done just what you did - get as far away as possible.

Best of luck,
BobL
Old 08-31-05, 04:54 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 437 Posts
[QUOTE=DocJ]Hello all. It looks as though I have become a Florida resident for an indefinite amount of time. The wife and kids and I evacuated New Orleans a couple days ago to Orlando where my wife is from and as you all know it is getting uglier by the minute back at home. My bikes, one car, and pretty much everything except for pictures and a suitcase of clothes is now under 10ft of filthy water with the house. Its very possible that we have just become Floridians. ... SNIP...
I'm borrowing a friend's computer right now. Looks like we're going to have to start looking for some temporary (or not so temporary) employment and schools for the kids, because its becoming more obvious that our home is not going to be an option for quite some time, if ever. I'm certainly not writing for sympathy or anything like that... just touching base with everyone. Glad to know that this place still exists. -Jason

seems unimaginable. I can't imagine having to do that for myself, much less as the family with school age children. Hope the kids are handling it well. When everything does sink in, having everyone pulling together will be a big help in overcoming hurdles.
What do you do for an occupation? Was it based in NewOrl. or is it something you can also do in FLA? Is it able to be done online? Maybe someone 'on-forum' can help in getting you back to income earning? Getting up and busy for you and your family will be a big boost for you (and your wife - you a 2 income family?). Anything you can use that would be hard to get your hands on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.