Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Inspiration for riding

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Inspiration for riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-05, 08:02 AM

Bikes: Sun EZ Sport, Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take away my excuses

I was peddling home from work one day and saw a little, low to the ground trike on the bike path up ahead of me. The guy was going pretty slow and looked like he was struggling a little. When I caught up to him I found out why. He was on a hand peddle trike. He had no legs and his left arm was gone at the elbow. As I passed him I thought, "This guy has taken away all my excuses."
Ever since that day, when I get up in the morning and think "I just don't feel like riding today", I think of him and get on my bike and go to work. I wish I could meet that guy again so I could tell him how much he has inspired me, but I have not seen him since.
Do any of you have any stories to share like this. I would like to hear them.
Old 09-05-05, 11:02 AM
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your inspiration is certainly better than mine, though now, I'll remember the hero you passed on the trike!

Mine has been to get fit, lose weight, and keep it off. And I also remind myself of how much money I've spent getting my bikes all set up and equipped.
Old 09-05-05, 01:49 PM
ppc
Senile Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gew0419
Ever since that day, when I get up in the morning and think "I just don't feel like riding today", I think of him and get on my bike and go to work.
You definitely need a recumbent to put the fun back into your rides :-) You really sounds like you cycle because you have to, and nothing more.

I wish I could meet that guy again so I could tell him how much he has inspired me, but I have not seen him since. Do any of you have any stories to share like this. I would like to hear them.
Knowing disabled people, I'm careful about being inspired by them, because I know they usually don't want to be a source of inspiration, just live their lives like everybody else. However, there's one story I like about a disabled kid who wanted to bike, and a custom bike builder, Bram Smit from Fastfwd, who built him a bike, then decided to sell it for other similarly disabled kids at a reasonable price. The story is here:

https://www.fastfwd.nl/eng/artikel-1.php
https://www.fastfwd.nl/eng/yepp.php
Old 09-05-05, 05:47 PM
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude on a handtrike SMOKED a ton of people on the last ride I participated in. I didn't even catch upto him until about 5 miles from the finish.
Old 09-05-05, 08:32 PM

Bikes: I own a diamond back. Other than that I have no idea.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say, the excitement of riding along traffic gets me going. The fact that I love the "fun" factor of riding helps me get out there, I really feel like a kid. I love not really sweating while I know I am working my legs like crazy. The fact that I like my bike enough to want to ride around here. The fact that I can! On almost all of my runs, rides, workouts I am always thanking God for giving me the opportunity and ability to do what I can and allowing me to enjoy it so much. Honestly, I feel sorry for those I see riding in the car smoking. What it comes down to though is that I love biking, and I love how it makes me feel.
Old 09-05-05, 08:40 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
How cool is that! I'll remember that guy when I beat myself up for coming home way below my usual average speed.

I don't really have a specific motivation, it's just part of life, like sleeping.
Old 09-05-05, 09:01 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just the motion of riding and pedaling themselves are sufficient. On my 4th or 5th day I would be so happy not need to ride anymore because I have done enough miles already.
Old 09-05-05, 11:10 PM
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Only motivation I have is to get in miles during the week. And yes, alternative to driving a gas guzzling car adds to the motivation, but it's not the only reason.
Old 09-06-05, 07:15 AM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow that guy is amazing!

My motivation? I love to ride. It would feel like a wasted opportunity if I didn't. I guess that's like your motivation: I'm happy that I can ride so I do.
Old 09-06-05, 07:22 AM
broke cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale F400; 1979 Star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love to ride, and commuting is the only way to fit exersize/riding into my schedule
Old 09-06-05, 08:07 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Great story. My motivation comes from a friend who recently lost his right foot due to a congenital blood disease. He now wears a prosthesis, but has been unable to do anything athletic for a year. I don't know what I would do if I could not ride my bike...
Old 09-06-05, 10:10 AM
it's my road too, dangit

Bikes: early 90's marin, 1969 schwinn collegiate, waterford, bridgestone rb1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With 3 boys and a full-time job I find my commuting time to be quite relaxing ... just me time. Also love the fact that I can observe people's gardens, yards, etc. when not zipping by in a car. Every day I see something I'm glad I got a chance to see that I would have missed had I been in a car. This morning included some birds that looked like starlings except that there was a yellow patch on the backs of their heads. I don't know what they were and have a mystery to solve over lunch.
Old 09-06-05, 12:13 PM
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aikigreg
Dude on a handtrike SMOKED a ton of people on the last ride I participated in. I didn't even catch upto him until about 5 miles from the finish.
Yeah but he wasn't going one-handed, was he?

That's an awesome story about that other guy though. One-handed... yeesh, I'd probably be able to keep that up for about 5 minutes before my arm died.