Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ditching my wireless cyclometer

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Ditching my wireless cyclometer

Old 09-06-05, 10:06 AM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I picked up a dB4LW this weekend because it seemed like a way to go wireless at a reasonable cost. After several rides, I got home to find that my maximum speed was 75.8 mph. The overall time and miles seemed pretty close to what they should have been, so I wasn't going to worry about it. That is until I had to make a run to the auto parts store, last night. I locked my bike to a pole right outside the front doors and forgot to take the computer off the handle bars. When I came out, it had been clocking miles at 63 mph the whole time I was inside. I guess it was something about the automatic doors at the store. This made my total 22 mile trip show up as 57 miles. Anyway, I'm one of those map/distance geeks that likes to know where I am and how far it is from point A to point B, so I found this rather frustrating.

I figured this problem was due to my having bought a cyclometer "on the cheap". However a few searches of the forums here show that this is a common issue, even amongst the higher-end wireless units.

I like the four line display and I saw some of these in the bargain bin at the LBS. So, unless someone out there knows of a way to either change the frequency or turn down the sensitivity of the receiver, I'm going back to a wired setup either tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by MMACH 5; 09-06-05 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-06-05, 10:09 AM

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
My brother has that same computer and has not ever had that kind of problem with it. In act I am not aware of any problems with and he likes his very much
Old 09-06-05, 10:11 AM
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a wireless computer but I do have an HRM which is, of course, wireless. I've noticed that it stops working when I press the throttle on my electric bike and it also stops when I listen to the radio that is mounted on my handlebars. So I'm not too surprised that the wireless computers suffer from interference problems.
Old 09-06-05, 10:33 AM
Sprint the hills!

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro w/Campy, Dahon MU P8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a "Cateye micro wireless" and haven't had any problems with it. I also find it to be very accurate. I did not however get it on sale but even so I figure $45 wasn't that bad. Prior to purchasing my Cateye computer I though I'd go cheap and grabbed one at walmart for $10 (non wireless). Needless to say it had clearence issues and did'nt fit my bike. Lesson learned... don't skimp on the cyclometer.
Old 09-06-05, 10:36 AM
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow! I thought I was the only one with wireless computer issues. I replaced a very old Cayeye Mity2 (wired) with a new, up-to-date wireless Sigma 1600. I rode to the state fair and (on the Katy Trail, fully loaded) it clocked me at an average speed of 48 mph! Wow! I only rode 35mi but it still took me a couple of hours! HOW CAN THAT BE?

At that speed, I should have gotten there BEFORE the show opened!

I went through all of the adjustments and it is still off. I hate it. I'm trying to re-wire my old Cateye.

That will teach me to get modernized!
Old 09-06-05, 10:51 AM
Master Pontificator

Bikes: Schwinns,Schwinns,and more Schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any of you guys that are having problems with the wireless, can ship them right off to me. I have several bikes and several wired and wireless and love em both. If anyone doesn't want theirs contact me and we can definaltely work something out.
Stacey
Old 09-06-05, 11:59 AM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Bikes: Trek Pilot 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a wireless cyclocomputer. There were a few times when I'd be parked and notice my speed jump up to 75 mph and stay there for a while. It only happened occassionally, but it was a real bummer if you were trying to track the data closely.
Old 09-06-05, 01:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a cat eye 7 wireless computer. After a lot of tinkering to get the magnet to line up with
the receiver, it appears to be accurate with distance/speed.

However I have noticed that it often has crazy max speeds (like 48 mph).
Old 09-06-05, 02:37 PM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jharte
Wow! I thought I was the only one with wireless computer issues. I replaced a very old Cayeye Mity2 (wired) with a new, up-to-date wireless Sigma 1600. I rode to the state fair and (on the Katy Trail, fully loaded) it clocked me at an average speed of 48 mph! Wow! I only rode 35mi but it still took me a couple of hours! HOW CAN THAT BE?

At that speed, I should have gotten there BEFORE the show opened!

I went through all of the adjustments and it is still off. I hate it. I'm trying to re-wire my old Cateye.

That will teach me to get modernized!
Weird. I have very little trouble with my 1600, and that on my bumpy 20" wheel folding bike with a suspension front hub to boot.
Old 09-06-05, 04:24 PM
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming you have the speed sensor wired correctly, is any part (or all?) of your ride under/near hi-tension power lines? Much of my riding is on the W&OD trail in Northern VA (major power lines from close-in to Washington DC out to Leesburg VA). My Polar 720 (digitized HRM with wireless speed and cadence) consistently flips out on one or all 3 measurements at various points along the trail. Fortunately (ghack!) I can edit out the data when I download to my PC. FWIW, my old analog HRM (Polar 150) was even more succeptible to power line interference. I don't know 1st-hand if the wireless Cateye or Polar cyclecomputers are as sensitive to interference. [But if anyone wants to send me some to test, I'll write up a full report ]. My old Cateye Astrale 8 (wired) was immune to interference (of course), but didn't provide all the bells and whistles.
Old 09-06-05, 05:18 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Wireless ones all use the same method for transmitting the pulses from the sensor to receiver, and most if not all will suffer some amount of interference under the wrong conditions.

My main gripe with them is they don't switch on by themselves as the wheel starts turning, and sometimes I forget to do it so lose some data.
Old 09-06-05, 05:39 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
There are all sorts of things that can interfere with all the wireless computers. Even HID headlights. Get one with a wire. It's lighter,smaller,cheaper,uses less batteries, and more reliable.
Old 09-06-05, 06:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Cateye micro wireless also, and I know the spedometer works well around electical equipment... umm... *ahem* .. because I rolled my bike onto.. *cough Cough* my treadmill *cough* to check if the MPH was accurate.. and it seemed spot on. <shrug>
Old 09-06-05, 06:25 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fitted two different wireless computers to my new bike, one sleek and expensive, one less sleek and cheap. The expensive one showed my top speed at 99.9 km/h, the cheaper one was a mere 65.5. I now have a nice wired cateye. It works.
Old 09-06-05, 07:31 PM

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not a malfunction and has nothing to do with the cost of your unit. The sensor reads magnetic impulses and any electromagnet operating on AC voltage creates magentic pulses. Ditching the wireless is about your only option, other than finding a unit you can manually turn on or off. I have yet to see a unit that can detect actual wheel motion. If it's an easy-off clip, I would recommend removing it when near an obstacle; simply cupping it in your hand is often enough to prevent false signals.

Stoplight sensors can often get my Cateye wireless MPH up to around 45 mph. Inconvenient if you are religously tracking mileage, but nice if you are trying to trigger stoplights.
Old 09-07-05, 08:19 AM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I went by my LBS, last night and got the Planet Bike Protegé 9.0 from the bargain bin for $26. It was the last cyclometer in the bin so I grabbed it. I don't really need one with temperature, but it's cool to have it available, (I'm a bit of a weather nerd also).

BTW-Temp was a consistent 71° from when I left the house to when I got to work and max speed showed as 29.7 mph.

Thanks to everyone for your input!