Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help a Newbie?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Help a Newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-02, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help a Newbie?

Hey Guys-
My name is Stephen, and I'm new to the biking world (came from the world of motocross). I guess the first thing I need to do to get started is buy a bike. I think I want a hardtail (because my riding is split between trails and street), and I want something that's really well made. I've more or less trashed every bike I've owned because I ride (I guess my crashing is the problem) pretty hard. For example...I bent the forks back to the frame on my dad's Scott hybrid. So...what's the right bike for me? I'm 6'1, 170lbs. I was thinking about a Schwinn (because my dad is more than willing to buy almost any schwinn for me), does Schwinn make any bikes that would suit my needs? I saw a Schwinn Ranger in a bicycle shop yesterday that was only $138 dollars (which seemed ridiculously cheap), is this a good bike? Anybody know anything about it? So what's a well made bike that will be able to work great after four years of hard use? Thanks a lot
-Stephen
Old 08-23-02, 11:26 AM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I believe shwinn was bought by a 'big store' and is no longer a good mtb. I remember hearing that. I would go with specialized, norco, or Giant. I would include Kona in there but they may not be in your area.

You will need steel. If you are planning on using it hard I can tell you right now you will be replacing rear wheelset (on any standard bike),freehub every few months, bb (standard ones suck in the under 1000$ class), pedals and maybe crank arms. Bikes dont keep working they take loving and at your size (I am 6'5 and 250) they need a lot of loving.

Next, try a few out there are different geometries for diffrent styles. xc or freeride. Go to a local bike shop and try a couple out. Rent each for a day and play around. When you figure out the basic gerometry then we can discuss bikes.
Old 08-23-02, 03:26 PM
pnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you want a bike that will hold up you gonna have to spend some cash.

you get what you pay for.

Schwinn is NOT what it used to be.

schwinn=huffy=crap
Old 08-25-02, 06:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the Schwinn thing; I was surprised to see a couple of them at Wal-mart the other day. I stopped and checked them out, and as I was on my way to the bike shop any way, I looked to see if the Schwinns there were the same. Different models completely. Maybe they are making models exclusively for discount chains and are keeping their better models for the lbs. Many manufacturers do this to up their sales and name recognition; Wal-mart now sells Nikon cameras-that doesn't make Nikon products junk.
Old 08-25-02, 11:37 AM
New to bikeforùms.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need this.
Old 08-25-02, 12:43 PM
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, Klein, he Doesn't need that.

I NEED THAT!

I bet that dude can leave some killer skid marks.
Old 08-25-02, 06:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pitty his headtube will probably snap because of the triple clamps... although the p3 is a fkn awesome frame. infact anything made by Specialized is awesome.

For our newbie on hardtails.... Incase you get currupted by such images there is a minimal times you want to put a triple clamp fork on a hardtail. Because of there stiffness it puts extreme presure on a hardtails headtube as the rear has no movement. It can cause stress fractures under the lower guessets and ultimatly snap.

As for what your actaully after I would definitly go for either Norco, Giant or Specialized. The problem is you want a bike to thrash but not want to spend much money. In the bike world there is so much crap to make prices lower that to buy componants that can take punishment you basically have to spend the money... or comprimise, but remember your going to be spending money to no end in replacement.

Last edited by SquigyMoo; 08-25-02 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-26-02, 12:12 AM
Nikon Nemisis

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Bro,

Steer Clear from Schwinn! (very clear) Definately go with a Specialized... You should look at the Rockhopper Comps... about $750 and worth every penny. If you don't need to just test the water, and you're ready to just jump in... Get an M4 Stumpjumper or an S-Works Hardtail!
Ahhhh, the S-Works Hardtail!... Oh how I do love my bike!

Good Luck Man.
Old 08-26-02, 05:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also going to suggest Specialized - the Hardrock Comp. It's frame is designed to mimic the P3. It's inexpensive, durable, and easy to upgrade. Try to find a 2002 model, the price ranges anywhere from $350 to $400.

As far as Schwinn (GT) goes, they were bought by Pacific, the same company that owns Huffy, and because of this you will see them in K-Mart and Wal Mart. They're also trying to keep the "high-end+ bikes in the LBSs, but they won't fare well; people equate Pacific to non-quality built bicycles.