Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sigh... having to justify your bike!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-05, 07:49 PM
Sprockette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We all have people who criticize us for commuting by bike, but what about those friends and relatives who just rag on you for riding your bike- as if it somehow takes away from important things? I'm a grown woman and my father chews me out for riding a bike because I'm job hunting. It doesn't take away from anything! Don't you hate that you feel like you have to explain or justify riding a bike? I don't rag on other people for what they do! Gee....would it be better if I sat around boozing?
Old 09-09-05, 07:56 PM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ignore them or justify by simple economics

try this - yo'll need to factor in the exchange rate though:

the notoriuosly extravagant british inland revenue service(irs) rate bicycle mileage at 20 pence per mile (45p for a car).

Anyway, 20p per mile, 10miles ea. way, 5-6 days a week(average at 5.5), riding approx. 47 weeks (allowing for mechanicals, sickness and necessity)

would give a grand total of

GBP1034.00 per year

I replaced the last bike after 5 years

so less approx. GBP1500 for parts, accessories and public transport on those sick days

that'd be around about

GBP3500.00 once every 5 years
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 09-09-05, 08:50 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My parents, siblings, have never been overly supportive of my riding. They are all pretty convinced that i will be killed or maimed on the bike. I have learned to deal with their negative comments, and they have softened as the years have gone by.

One thing cycling has taught me is to be my own person. I pitty them more than anything else.
Old 09-09-05, 08:59 PM
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
My parents, siblings, have never been overly supportive of my riding. They are all pretty convinced that i will be killed or maimed on the bike. I have learned to deal with their negative comments, and they have softened as the years have gone by.

One thing cycling has taught me is to be my own person. I pitty them more than anything else.
pretty darn supportive family ya got there!
Old 09-09-05, 09:09 PM
damn straight

Bikes: aluminum, carbon, steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my family are pretty darn supportive... my mother and father always worry about me getting hurt or worse but they know it makes me healthier and gives me a way to vent out the stresses of a very stressful career. my brother always gives me a few shots for wearing my "Man Bag Shorts" but overall he thinks it's a cool hobby. my friends on the other hand think it's a waist of time and money.
Old 09-09-05, 09:16 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Well, they all know that I'm.....uh....gee, I'm....kinda......fa....well, no, I'm just a little................I'm perhaps a tad overw..................................................I'm an Athena!!!!!!!