Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel Building

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel Building

Old 08-25-02, 11:17 PM
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel Building

What do you do when you're at home on a Friday night?

Well let me tell you. First you grease up some nipples and that's right........ build a wheel!!

At least that what I did anyways. First time building one and so far not too shabby if I do say so myself. I'll see about hauling my lazy carcass out of bed tomorrow and giving her a test and see how she holds up.

I do only have one question.

I'm pretty sure I've heard that usually wheels where the spokes are not a equal distance from the center like on a rear wheel hub or disc hub the one set of spokes has greater tension on them. This is because when you dish the wheel you're pulling on the one set of spokes to center the hub.

Correct?

In this case a front wheel with a disc hub has to pulled or the spokes tightened from the disc side to pull the rotor mount further towards the center. This causes the flanges to be an unequal distance from the actual wheel center thus causing greater tension on those spokes. Where as the spokes on the drive side or non disc side have less tension on them being further out from the center.

Right?

I'm not talkin' a huge difference, just a slight one when you squeeze the spokes or "pluck" them to hear the different tones.

I'm pretty sure I'm o.k. and I won't kill myself on my new wheel tomorrow. I'm looking for anyone with greater insight or who builds thier own wheels on occasion or all the time for that matter.

For the record, I have the tools necessary to the get the job done. Both for the wheel build and the greased nipples.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-25-02, 11:50 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Good job and yep, the spoke tensions will be unequal whenever the rim's on center but the spoke flanges are different distances from the center. Have a blast on your new wheels!
Old 08-27-02, 09:27 PM
Scooby Snax

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Speaking of spokes having un equal tension....

I noticed that on a pair of Mavic cross max wheels that the rear hub has an extended cone on the non drive side, centering the hub on the rim. Or, is that centering the rim on the hub...?

Does this improve the wheel?

Or are those fellers pullin a swiftie?

HHHmmmmmmmmmmm...........? :confused:

Last edited by Scooby Snax; 08-27-02 at 09:29 PM.

Old 08-27-02, 09:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by stiffee_shane
What do you do when you're at home on a Friday night?

Well let me tell you. First you grease up some nipples and that's right........ build a wheel!!

Old 08-27-02, 10:38 PM
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to touch base on my experience so far.

I haven't had the chance yet to give the new wheel a good thrashing yet. Just a couple bunny hops and a few trips around the block, nothing more.

I have however built up my new rear wheel and found that it did not take as long to lace, tension, true, and dish as it did the first wheel. Honestly its not as hard as I thought it would be. Admittedly though the whole process definately requires a lot of patience and attention to detail. Little things like making sure the rim label can be read while looking at the drive side of the bike or the hub label can be read when looking through the valve hole. I reason if you want to act like a pro then do it like a pro.

I've built up a set of new XT disc hubs laced with black DT spokes to a set of Mavic X517's (from the original wheel set I tore down). The rims are little over a year old, so there is still tons of life left in them yet. The ambition being to upgrade to discs on my XC steed next spring.

All and all a good experience so far. Tomorrow I plan on heading out for a ride. I'll keep you all posted. <--- no pun intended on the posted part.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-28-02, 12:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone built wheels using mavic's new tubeless rims? From what I can tell you should be able to build wheels as light as the CrossMaxs for the price of the CrossRocs. Is it worth it? Or should I just spring for the pre-builts?