Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

downhill bar

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

downhill bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-02, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
downhill bar

Hi all!

I am about to buy a new bar. I have been using straight bars so far, but I would like to get me a downhill bar now (for everyone is telling me to).

What do i have to consider due to length, height and angle of its bending, what is good for what?! I'm doing a lot of freeriding and want to do some trial stuff.

Greetings
Jugga
Old 08-27-02, 03:05 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try a few. This is personal preference. I like a wider bar with a steep angle. Some like closer to flat. As for quality. Titus makes an awesome dh bar for a reasonable price. Can't remember the name right now.
Old 08-28-02, 03:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how much do you want to spend?

i switched to a riser bar recently. it took me a while to convert because i'm a weight freak and didn't like the weights of most of the bars on the market. I finally bought myself an Easton Monkeylite bar (the higher rise one) made of carbon. amazingly light..but kinda expensive....don't think i'll go back to a flat bar..unless i really get anal about weight...
Old 08-28-02, 07:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd spend up to $40. Weight is a secondary factor, I'd rather get a solid one than a light one since i saw a friend's bar breaking at 25 miles and his stunt afterwards that I'm not looking forward to imitate ;-)

What about crossbars?! Do you suggest adding one?

Thanks again!
Old 08-28-02, 09:16 AM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is personal preferance to what type of bar to run. As stated above try a few. I like the Easton Monkey bar, light and strong. I also run a White Brothers DH Ti bar on my freeride bike. I would say staying with the flat bar if that is what you are comfortable with. As to width, if you are running on long fast fire roads get a longer bar, if your riding technical trails go with some thing shorter. The longer bar will be more stable but will turn slower where as the shorter bar will turn quicker but get a little twitchy at high speeds.
Slainte
Old 08-28-02, 11:43 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all, why do you think you NEED a riser bar? If you are comfortable with a flat bar and like it, stick with it. If you want to change your riding style, then get a riser. Flat bars are more XC race oriented and in combination with a 0 degree or 5 degree stem will put you into a lower riding and forward position, this helps when climbing. Riser bars are more for recreational riding, Freeriding, Jumping, and Downhill. The rise puts you in a more upright (comfortable) and further back position. Riser bars are usually wider than a flat bar, have a bit more sweep (bend) and will put you in a more upright position on your bike. You can get into the same position with a flat bar and a steeper stem. Either way!

What I'm trying to say is, "Don't get a riser just because your friends tell you to" If your buddy has one and you can ride his bike and like the more upright position, then get one. If you're a racer stick with a flat bar.

Easton's are very sweet, well made, thoroughly tested, light and strong and above all expensive as heck! If your budget is only $40, stick with an aluminum bar from a reputable company. There are tons to choose from. Azonic, Answer, Titec, Race Face,...etc. I'm using an Answer Alumilite bar that was only around $30.

Good Luck
L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger