Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

saddle recommendations

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

saddle recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
saddle recommendations

I need to get a new and more comfortable saddle. I bought a new bike in the spring and because of the saddle, further irritated an already enlarged prostate gland. My doc says for sure that the saddle could very well have been the culprit. My old bike had a Terry Liberator Ti saddle which I just changed over to my new bike, but I am looking for a new one as well so that both my bikes have comfortable saddles. I see that the Liberator is still made, but not in a Ti model. Other Terry saddles have ti rails and are plenty light, but they look to narrow. Any ideas on a really comfortable saddle that will give me adequate protection? Thanks.
Old 09-14-05, 09:23 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
https://www.terrybicycles.com/detail....tem_no=2154700

I thought Terry still made a Ti-railed Lib, so posted the link above. The ti-version is a little smaller than the steel railed. Is there a reason you need the ti version--weight diff. doesn't seem significant to me (but I ride a rather heavy mtb.bike, so a few grams don't matter).
Old 09-14-05, 09:33 AM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At our age I think you have to let it heal first and foremost. Then take it slow and easy until you get your butt back in shape. Saddles seem to be very indivual, and people differ on any kind of agreement about what is "best". That said, I'd try a Brooks or two. They have a bunch of different models with different widths, and a friend of mine swears by a spring saddle (B-55?) for his backside. I like the Champion and B-17, but again everyone is different. Just get that butt healed up before you try again...
Old 09-14-05, 09:38 AM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
I need to get a new and more comfortable saddle. I bought a new bike in the spring and because of the saddle, further irritated an already enlarged prostate gland. My doc says for sure that the saddle could very well have been the culprit. My old bike had a Terry Liberator Ti saddle which I just changed over to my new bike, but I am looking for a new one as well so that both my bikes have comfortable saddles. I see that the Liberator is still made, but not in a Ti model. Other Terry saddles have ti rails and are plenty light, but they look to narrow. Any ideas on a really comfortable saddle that will give me adequate protection? Thanks.
Hello. Here is some info:
https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167124,00.html
https://www.solutionbicycleseat.com/
Old 09-14-05, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
I have a Fi'z=k Aliante saddle that I find very comfortable. Highly recommended by LBS. Pricey.
Old 09-14-05, 02:13 PM

Bikes: Trek Y-Foil, Falcon San Remo 76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same here. I went through a slew of saddles, that either left saddle sores or turned the prostate into mush. Vetta (ugh), Selle TransAm (comfy if you sat on it just right), Fizik Pave (too stiff), Serfas DD Vado (irritating)...

Bought a Fizik Aliante, and that seems to have done the trick.
Old 09-14-05, 11:02 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried a few, and I still don't have the definitive answer. Count me among those lucky(?) people that have prostate issues. For almost a year, I used a saddle called SpiderFlex and it was a godsend for me. I wouldn't have made it a year on any other, more "traditional" saddle for the time it took me to get serious about cycling. Was the best $99 I spent on it.

After that, I went in search of more conventional saddles that are prostate friendly, some of which you mentioned above. The Brooks ain't the answer. Darn nice saddle. I tried one for 600 miles, and I really, really wanted to like my Brooks. But just wasn't to be. For me it was too hard. Gave me numbness hours after the ride. I just recently picked up a Specialized Alias 155mm with ti rails, and my nether-regions are rejoicing.

Oh sure, that's not to say we didn't give the brooks a fair chance. I rode him daily. On rides of 60mi plus. He was great, really, but it just wasn't as great as the $99 Specialized saddle that the local LBS sold me. I've put 250mi on it, and it sure feels like keeper
Old 09-15-05, 12:32 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Saddles are the bain of most riders lives, and I still wish I could find one for the longer rides that I do. I am OK for 60 miles, but then it starts hurting. I had a prostate problem in 2001, but thanks to surgery, will not have that problem again. After surgery, I found the saddle I had been using for 4 years or so, I could not even sit on. Quick trip to the LBS and one of the new anotomically designed saddles with the pelvic bone cutaway was purchased. This worked, for about 20 miles, so several saddles were bought over the next year or so. All had the cutaway as this does work for me, but I finished up on the solo going back to a new version of the Selle italia Flite saddle that has a little gel padding, and for the Tandem, where I sit down for a lot longer, The Selle Italia Trans-Am. These are so far the most comfortable for me, but Try a few of your mates bikes and see how their saddles feel. You can tell in a couple of minutes sitting if it will be comfortable or not.

Incidentally- there is no concisive proof that cycling has any effect on the Prostate. This is one thing my surgeon managed to confirm to me when I had my problem.
Old 09-15-05, 11:28 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I went on to the Terry site and ordered a Liberator Y gel saddle. Terry said specifically that this saddle was designed with prostate relief in mind. My Liberator Ti is pretty good, but I want a wide seat but not something that weighs a pound or more. The Y gel looked good. Unfortunately, it is on backorder till October, but I ordered in anyway.
Old 09-15-05, 02:28 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
The only saddle I have ever owned which bothers my perinaeum and/or prostate is a narrow padded vinyl Marin. I have had EXTREMELY good luck with the five tensioned leather saddles I have owned, including the three Brooks I still have (Pro, Team Pro, and Competition). My SERFAS ARC, with its center dimple, works equally well for me, and is quite a bit lighter than the Brooks.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-15-05, 06:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Fizik Pave, seems to be fairly comfy and light enough.
Old 09-15-05, 09:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried 4 saddles before I found the one I love. Selle San Marco Arami -gel. I do have to admit that if I ride for over 3 hours I still get little sore.
Old 09-15-05, 10:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-15-05, 10:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hass
Good suggestion
Old 09-16-05, 09:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone tried this seat yet from E3 "Form Gel"?

Old 10-18-05, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Go to Spiderflex online & check out their dual pad seat. It's fairly comfortable and resolves the prostate irritation problem. bk
Old 10-18-05, 07:38 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I assume your Terry is a proven commodity to you? What do you care what the rails are made of if you can get another one? What is more important, shaving a few grams of weight or comfort?

I love my Brooks, but they are not for everyone. I had good luck with the Specialized Alias. Selle Anatomica looks interesting.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-19-05, 07:58 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Chip makes a good point - comfort is what you're after first and foremost.

https://home.earthlink.net/~tkunich/_..._butt_hurt.htm

Take a look at these saddles:

https://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...u=15368&brand=

https://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...u=11751&brand=

I picked up a San Marco Aspide pretty cheap so I bought one to try out. It is a smallish saddle made out of plastic and there is no padding on it to speak of. I didn't think that it was going to work but much to my surprise it worked pretty well. And it weighed almost nothing. Now it isn't a COMFORTABLE saddle by any stretch of the imagination. But it doesn't actually hurt you anywhere save on the sit bones. And because it's a small saddle you can't move around much on it.

I went back to my Regal saddles.

Last edited by cyclintom; 10-19-05 at 08:09 AM.