Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Kona vs. Specialized

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Kona vs. Specialized

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona vs. Specialized

So I went to my LBS again today (I'm certain they're sick of seeing me and letting me ride during my lunch hour). I was looking at an 06 RH comp w/ disc and now I am looking at an 05 Stumpy w/o disc. There is a $300 diff in price ($850 vs $1150) and to me the frame on the SJ felt a lot lighter.

To the point...Since I was now confused by the Speacialized situation, I decided to check out the Kona Caldera (which my LBS doesn't sell), and I was wondering which Kona has a frame comparable to the '05 SJ (which is M4 I think. Which means nada to me, but felt real light). The reason I ask, is it seems that a Kona in the same price range as a Specialized is coming equiped w/ better compents (XT vs LX on RD, LX vs Deore on shifters).

Just something I was wondering and figured some of y'all may know.

Thx
Old 09-19-05, 01:42 AM
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not my area of expertese, but i think the Kona Kikapu is the XC full suspension bike comparable to the Stumpjumper.

in general the Specialized frames are much lighter as Kona's are built for STRENGTH as opposed to lightweight
Old 09-19-05, 06:07 AM
Scooby Snax

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The Kona's frame is going to be a titch heavier, more trail oriented, where the Specialized will be a XC race geometry.
On the surface, I think that the Specialized is a better spec'd bike. Fox RL fork, compared to a marzocchi MXR, but I do like the Kona's Curb Appeal.
The stumpy's frame is the same across the whole range until you get to an S-Works.
I'd say that the Specialized off the line may be a better buy, but it does come down to what you want, which feels better. We cant decide that for you, that's your job.
Just remember, John Tomac won world cup races on a Raleigh, He probobly would have done it on a Huffy as well.

Old 09-19-05, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a comment on LBS getting sick of you. I hope that's not the case. The more they let you ride, the more they build loyalty in you as a customer, and get you closer to that perfect bike, which should guarantee a sale for them. Letting you ride is a good move, and I hope they realize it.