Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

? for LBS employee's (and/or others)

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 09-15-05, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I've been shopping for a bike for 2 weeks or so, nobody in Colorado has an '05 Kona Caldera to ride, and the '06's seem to be a step down (components and fork), so it looks like it'll be a Specialized...

The bike at the top of my list is an '05 Stumpy. The bike lists for $1300 (XT RD, Deore FD & shifters, no disc brakes, don't recall the fork) and it's currently marked down t0 $1175. I am wondering if there are any folks out there who work at a shop (or have other means to help) and can answer my question.

I keep raising the ceiling on my price, but have decieded to draw the line at $900(ish). Is $900 a fair price to offer an LBS for the '05 Stump Jumper above, or will I be wasting my time as well as insulting them? I know ya never know unless you ask, but at the same time I don't want to be an a**.

thx
Old 09-15-05, 04:47 PM
-default-

Bikes: 3 of them

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around here 20-25% off is it. Anymore they give it away. More than just the cost of the bike to consider-overhead, salaries etc...
Old 09-15-05, 04:53 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turkish
The bike at the top of my list is an '05 Stumpy. The bike lists for $1300 (XT RD, Deore FD & shifters, no disc brakes, don't recall the fork) and it's currently marked down t0 $1175. I am wondering if there are any folks out there who work at a shop (or have other means to help) and can answer my question.

I keep raising the ceiling on my price, but have decieded to draw the line at $900(ish). Is $900 a fair price to offer an LBS for the '05 Stump Jumper above, or will I be wasting my time as well as insulting them? I know ya never know unless you ask, but at the same time I don't want to be an a**.

thx
The shop is already taking a hit by discounting the bike as much as they have. They still paid $XXXX for the bike it's just that now they'll be making less money from the sale of the bike. Factor in things like the fact that the bike occupied marketable space for this long, space that could have been used for a much faster selling bike that would have in turn made more profit for the shop. Shops have to pay employees, pay for the space (rent, or mortgage / taxes) utilities, buy new supplies and merchandise the list goes on.
Bottom line: You can try, but be prepared for them to say NO

One last thing: THX is next generation surround sound, developed by a George Lucas company - not an acceptable way of saying thanks.

Refrain from using AOLese or TXTSPK while visiting our forums.
Old 09-15-05, 05:04 PM

Bikes: Ridley Helium, 83/84 Shogun 600, ~85 Peugeot (PGN 10?), Masi Vincere Premio, Miyata 600GT, Yeti 575

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am getting my '05 stumpy for a little less than $1000, but I am buying a lot of accessories and referring at least three other people to the shop who don't barter at all.
Old 09-15-05, 05:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300 converted into SS, Mongoose Cannan Elite, GT Pro Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id ask "Whats the best you can do on the price?". Its better than being told NO! (or HELL NO!) when making a lowball offer and maybe having some tension there. If you planning on buying accessories with it, see if they can work a package deal.
If $900 wont get you what you want, save up a little more or get something in that price range.
Old 09-15-05, 05:20 PM
Director @ Bike Law

Bikes: Christiania, Bullitt, All City Nature Boy, Linus Mixte

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it sounds like $1300 was advertised price and the $1175 is the MSRP. Under dealer agreement they can't go below that unless it's for an employee or family member.

Bike Law
We are your network of bicycling lawyers and advocates across North America.

Women's Cycling
Empowering women to bike more and worry less.
Old 09-15-05, 05:25 PM

Bikes: Ridley Helium, 83/84 Shogun 600, ~85 Peugeot (PGN 10?), Masi Vincere Premio, Miyata 600GT, Yeti 575

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arsbars
it sounds like $1300 was advertised price and the $1175 is the MSRP. Under dealer agreement they can't go below that unless it's for an employee or family member.
I can assure you that they are not advertising bikes for more than MSRP. MSRP is the retailer's suggested price, no one ever pays more than MSRP!
Old 09-15-05, 05:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. As usual, very quick answers w/ good substance (things I hadn't considered). I will probably still ask, as the owner seems very nice, and I will end up buying a bike from these folks regardless (either the '05 Stumpy or the '06 RH).

Correction:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
One last thing: THX is next generation surround sound, developed by a George Lucas company - [U
not an acceptable way of saying thanks[/U].
color]
"thx" is, as stated, a version of Surround Sound. However, it also happens to be a widely accepted, shortened way of saying thank you (much the same way Regards may be shorted to "rgrds" or even "r" in professional, if not slightly more personal, business correspondence)...Just not on YOUR board. Which is duly noted, and will be respected.
Old 09-15-05, 05:29 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
<snipped>Which is duly noted, and will be respected.
Glad you understand.
Old 09-15-05, 06:50 PM

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when i got my bike I was planning on upgrades to the pedals, a jersey, hydro pack,gloves, etc. I paid the asking price( still below msrp) because they threw in the swag way cheap( If Im not mistaken there is more room to barter on swag than bikes). if you are buying accessories you can still come out the same on your total dollar amount, just in different areas. I paid just over $2k including tax for everything and the msrp was $1999.99
Old 09-17-05, 09:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So tomorrow is the day I will be taking the plunge. I am going to my LBS and offering $900 for the '05 Stumpy on the floor at $1175, down from $1300 (and I need to also buy a helmet, lock, hydration "stuff", shoes for clipless pedals on the bike, etc). I can/will go up a little from there, but can't spend over 1k on the bike.

Option B, if they won't take what I can pay for the '05 Stumpy is to buy the '06 RH Comp w/ disc's which has an $859 retail at the LBS (of which there are 3 in my general area). I am planning on asking if they will take $700 and order me the black (which they don't have in stock), I figure this is a guaranteed sale, so there are no worries about it sitting on the floor and hopefully they will be willing to negotiate down (I will still need the extra gear).

I s'pose my question is, has anyone payed $700+/- for an '06 RH Comp at this time? If someone out there has, that will give me an idea that it CAN be done, if not, I won't get my hopes up...

Thanks!
Old 09-18-05, 07:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So tomorrow is the day I will be taking the plunge. I am going to my LBS and offering $900 for the '05 Stumpy on the floor at $1175, down from $1300 (and I need to also buy a helmet, lock, hydration "stuff", shoes for clipless pedals on the bike, etc). I can/will go up a little from there, but can't spend over 1k on the bike.

Option B, if they won't take what I can pay for the '05 Stumpy is to buy the '06 RH Comp w/ disc's which has an $859 retail at the LBS (of which there are 3 in my general area). I am planning on asking if they will take $700 and order me the black (which they don't have in stock), I figure this is a guaranteed sale, so there are no worries about it sitting on the floor and hopefully they will be willing to negotiate down (I will still need the extra gear).

I s'pose my question is, has anyone payed $700+/- for an '06 RH Comp at this time? If someone out there has, that will give me an idea that it CAN be done, if not, I won't get my hopes up...

Thanks!
Getting any kind of discount over 5% on an '06 model is pretty good right about now. If I had to guess, there is no way in hell you could get the RH for $700. The stumpjumper is a much better bike. If it's between the RH for $800 and the Stumpy for $1000, you get an extra $500 worth of bike for $200.

When you offer the $900 for the Stumpy, tell him also that you need to also buy all those other accessories. Should make it easier.
Old 09-18-05, 04:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well...turns out they don't negotiate AT ALL...New, used, year old, doesn't matter. They may lower the price as they see fit, but they don't entertain offers introduce by buyers. So I am looking at some other bike shops who may be a little more willing to deal w/ a prospective buyer.

Maybe I was expecting too much from a bike shop. After reading on these boards I got the impression that some LBS's were willing do haggle, but that may not be the case near where I live.

Off to EBay
Old 09-18-05, 05:35 PM
CannondaleGrl

Bikes: Cannondale Comfort 400, Cannondale Jekyll (MB)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the same thing "Chainring" suggested and asked "Is that the best you can do?". It caused my LBS to lower the price of my Jekyll from $1250 to $1165. Maybe not a big price break, but since the bike had to be special ordered, I thought it was reasonable. I wouldn't enjoy the bike as much if the purchase was a painful protracted negotiation with the only guys who can fix the hydraulic brakes.