Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Crossing Canada....Virtually

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Crossing Canada....Virtually

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-05, 10:12 PM
Stv

Bikes: 05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duh!

Last edited by Stv; 12-07-08 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-16-05, 11:31 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stv
How's it go'n, eh ?

I have just gotten back into cycling a short 7 months ago, after a twenty year or so hiatus and with the generous help and continued support of a good personal friend, cycle-mentor and member of this board. Thanx (rvdv).

This road was not an easy one and it has been long and rough. From a motorcycle argument (accident) in my late teens that left me hindered with only 10% use of my left foot and only 30% use of my right arm, plus I've recently kicked the 50 to 75 cigarettes a day habit and the alarming, copious amounts of the daily booze grind. I lost 50 pounds from a bloated 200 lb. frame to 150 lbs.,I'm 5'9", (now risen to 175 lbs. currently) and endure the shear physical, not to mention psychological discomfort of such a radical life-style change in such a short space of time, to say the least.

I have never felt better, nor been more pleased with myself than I am this very day !

Since March of 2005, of this year, to September the 16th., today, I am celebrating my 4,600 kilometre of cycling! Now, that is approximately 3/4's of the distance across Canada. The total distance across, starting in Vancouver, B.C. and ending in St. John's, NFLD is 7,400 kms. est. That means that I have only 2,800 kms. by my math left to pedal the equivalent of crossing Canada, in my first season back to cycling, virtually of course, but the kilometres are very, very real.

There are only 6, maybe 8 more weeks tops, me thinks, of suitable ride weather into mid-November left before the winter nasty's set in and I think, I hope, I'm gonna make it.

Sure I will.........

I better get going now. Got a way's to go yet.
You go, Stv! What a great story! And congrats on turning yourself around. I too have a similar story, at least with alcohol and letting my self baloon to 300#, but that's about me and not about what you've accomplished.

I should shut up and let you get peddling!

Cheers!

Steve
Old 09-17-05, 12:09 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow!!! This story is SO inspiring! Thank you for coming out of lurk-mode, and sharing it with everyone. And good luck getting to the opposite shore. Clearly, YOU CAN DO IT!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-17-05, 03:44 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would have been nice to actually traverse the route from BC to NFLD.
Good example of the power of will power - keep it up
Old 09-17-05, 08:00 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
stv,
Although it doesn't sound as if you need any more inspiration, you might be interested in reading a book by Mike Magnuson which is entitled "Heft on Wheels".
Old 09-17-05, 08:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazing what you've accomplished. I'm in awe. I really hope you keep us updated on this truly inspiring turnaround.
Old 09-19-05, 06:18 AM
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great work, Steve, I'm 51 too, but have yet to admit that I'm not 19 anymore (My wife has mistakenly pegged my acting age at 14) This is my 4th year of "serious" cycling (how can it be serious, I'm smiling all the time?!) and have found this forum to be a great source of inspiration and information.
Great job on accumulating the kilometrage, too, but the good cycling doesn't end in November, it keeps going all year long. Check out the winter biking forum for more info!