Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Rosarito to Ensenada 50 mile ride on Singlespeed

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 09:48 PM
I'm Carbon Curious

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For anyone who rode the supported rosarito to Ensenada semi-annual ride in Mexico, is there any killer hills? how's the terrain. Just wondering if I should take my singlespeed which has a 50x20 gear ratio.

or should I stick with my commuter bike?

Thanks
Old 09-19-05, 09:52 PM
pedale veloce e duro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do it, nothing that bad.

though i dont know the exact route, all larger roads i have ever travelled are steady inclines.
Old 09-19-05, 09:56 PM
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when did you ride the Rosarito to Ensenada bike tour, Track Plague? Do you know if they change routes per ride?
Old 09-19-05, 10:05 PM
pedale veloce e duro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never done it, so I dont know the route, but have travelled back and forth quite a bit, and have travelled most of the roads that go down there, main and local. If you are running an easy ratio, I wouldn't worry about it. Ensenada drops down, but i am assuming it will have to be one of the highways or easier roads since this is pretty much open to everyone. Though, I could be completely wrong, so take it all with a grain of salt.
Old 09-20-05, 02:35 PM

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 531phile
For anyone who rode the supported rosarito to Ensenada semi-annual ride in Mexico, is there any killer hills? how's the terrain. Just wondering if I should take my singlespeed which has a 50x20 gear ratio.

or should I stick with my commuter bike?

Thanks
Go for it, it's a fun ride. Just watch out for all the crashes at the start. The first few miles are pretty sketchy.

Rode it a year or so ago, fixed with a 42x16 gear. If you're a reasonably fit rider it should be a piece of cake, especially considering you can coast the downhills on a singlespeed. I'm too chicken to ride with my feet out of the pedals, so I was spinning like crazy and throwing in the occasional skip/skid to check speed on the downhill.

There's only one climb of any consequence, it's only about a mile or so long, and not terribly steep. Though you'd think it was the worst hill ever from the comments of the people pushing their MTBs with triple-chainrings up the thing.

-Trevor
Old 06-07-07, 03:37 PM

Bikes: Fuji Roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done it 3 times.

There is a ride profile on the main site, rosaritoensenada.com. 25 miles of near flat, then a 900 foot climb, 10 miles of rolling hills, 400 foot climb, 800 foot rather steep drop, 10 miles of flat road into Ensenada. It is always the same route -- it's the 'free' road on the map.

I wouldn't do it with a singlespeed, but there were some along every other type of bike and even rollerblades.
Old 06-08-07, 09:05 AM

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't done that drive in 12 years, but I couldn't imagine someone doing it on a bike the way the roads used to be, and the way the drivers were.
Old 06-08-07, 10:38 AM

Bikes: Cruzbike Silvio, Cruzbike Mtb Conversion, Raleigh Technium (converted to fixie)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They basically close the road down to motor traffic. 10,000 plus riders takes the entire highway. As others have noted, there is only one climb of any significance. A second climb is shorter, but still challenging. It's a pretty fun ride, but the newbs and dip*****s and drunks make it not the safest ride. I did it three times, then discovered domestic fun rides to be less hassle and much safer.

The ride is fun and easy. The logistics of getting you and your bicycle across the border and back is the most challenging. There are companies that will take you, for a fee, from San Diego to Rosarito, then pick you up in Ensenada. That's the best way to go, but it tacks on another fee. Check to see if you need a passport, too. I think this is the last year you can do the ride without papers, but double check me on that.

Mark
Old 06-08-07, 11:14 AM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
It's definitely doable. I've done this ride several times back during the 90's and I've seen wasted dudes on beach cruisers finish this ride.
Old 06-08-07, 11:51 AM

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BeerBiker
They basically close the road down to motor traffic. 10,000 plus riders takes the entire highway. As others have noted, there is only one climb of any significance. A second climb is shorter, but still challenging. It's a pretty fun ride, but the newbs and dip*****s and drunks make it not the safest ride. I did it three times, then discovered domestic fun rides to be less hassle and much safer.

The ride is fun and easy. The logistics of getting you and your bicycle across the border and back is the most challenging. There are companies that will take you, for a fee, from San Diego to Rosarito, then pick you up in Ensenada. That's the best way to go, but it tacks on another fee. Check to see if you need a passport, too. I think this is the last year you can do the ride without papers, but double check me on that.

Mark
Passport restrictions to US and Mexico were lifted today, who knows how long that will last though.

Random thoughts on Baja....

I did some biking when I was 10 about 600 miles down Baja. We did a bunch of camping, Bahia de Los Angeles was beautiful, as I understand it is now relatively built up. One place we camped on the Pacific was absolutely deserted. There was one village about 5k down a path. There was an older lady who made corn meal tortillas and would walk from about 5k past our camp into town each morning at sunup to cook them.