Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

locking my solid axle wheels

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 09-20-05, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So i just bought a new set of wheels on Formula hubs, and apparently they can't be rethreaded with quick-release axles because of their construction... this sucks because i wanted to put my locking skewers on the wheels so i wouldn't have to haul around an extra lock/cable for the front wheel... anyone have any tips/tricks/solutions for how one might secure a bolt-on wheel to a bike to make it unsavory to the thieves that might like to steal my shiny new wheels?
Old 09-20-05, 01:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've heard of two strategies

1. use two different sized nuts so the potential thief has to
have two wrenches (or one adjustable)

2. use BMX pegs so said thief has to have a deep socket
extension

that's all I've got
Old 09-20-05, 01:38 PM
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eh, I wouldn't trust QRs on a fixie. I've heard baaaad things. Just carry around a little cable lock - they're light and reasonably theft proof (just the fact that it's there).
Old 09-20-05, 02:53 PM
Rebel Thousandaire

Bikes: Public D8, Yuba Mundo (cargo), Novara Buzz (1-speed, soon to be 2-speed w/ a kickback hub), Xootr 1-speed folder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could always try to find a fork lock of some sort. (I know they make more modern ones, but that's all I could find.)
Old 09-20-05, 02:59 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by el twe
Eh, I wouldn't trust QRs on a fixie. I've heard baaaad things.
Oh yea? What things have you heard about QRs on a fixie? Source?

I have been running QR on my fixie since its inception, and haven't had a single problem.

No slippage. EVER.
Old 09-20-05, 03:24 PM
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
If you were careless and didn't tighten down enough, I could see why a QR in back would be bad, but having a QR up front is more convenient to me. I think I'd feel a little nervous with a QR in back on a track bike, but if you actually make sure it's tightened down well, I guess there's no real reason why it wouldn't be OK.
Old 09-20-05, 03:40 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
If you were careless and didn't tighten down enough, I could see why a QR in back would be bad, but having a QR up front is more convenient to me. I think I'd feel a little nervous with a QR in back on a track bike, but if you actually make sure it's tightened down well, I guess there's no real reason why it wouldn't be OK.
What would happen if you were careless with your bolt on hubs, and didn't tighten them enough?

There's no rearon to fear a QR. Adding the word "track" doesn't change anything, either.

Serated Steel QRs, paired with quality steel dropouts, and steel hub locknut faces don't slip. Period. Add aluminum into this equation, all bets are off.

Last edited by BostonFixed; 09-20-05 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-20-05, 03:47 PM
crotchety young dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
Oh yea? What things have you heard about QRs on a fixie? Source?

I have been running QR on my fixie since its inception, and haven't had a single problem.

No slippage. EVER.
I thought I'd heard some horror stories here, and Sheldon advises against it (under normal circumstances), although he has one himself. I just wouldn't trust myself to set it up perfectly. I slipping QR on a roadie is much less of a concern (unless you're going super fast downhill) than on a fixie, it seems. But hey, if it works, it works!

EDIT: Sorry, I thought cusack meant a rear wheel. Front should be no problem. That's what I'll be doing...
Old 09-20-05, 03:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, my question quickly derailed into a debate over skewers v bolts... for the record... my old set-up consisted of a bolt-on rear with a quick-release front hub secured with a locking skewer... a friend of mine rides a singlespeed geared at around 52-16 and used to pull off his rear wheel going up hills... he recently switched to locking skewers and hasn't had the problem... regardless, it looks like i will be resigned to carrying around an extra cable... thanks for the tips! (oh and i am not trying to snark about the change of topic... i realized there probably wasn't a lot of info for what i was asking)
Old 09-20-05, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
What would happen if you were careless with your bolt on hubs, and didn't tighten them enough?

There's no rearon to fear a QR. Adding the word "track" doesn't change anything, either.

Seratted Steel QRs, paired with quality steel dropouts, and seratted steel hub locknut faces don't slip. Period. Add aluminum into this equation, all bets are off.
Personally I find it much easier to tighten track nuts than a QR. If I had a QR on my fixed gear however I would be sure to tighten it down as much as possible.
Old 09-20-05, 04:17 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by el twe
I thought I'd heard some horror stories here, and Sheldon advises against it (under normal circumstances)...
No I don't! Skewers rule, but only if they're good skewers. There are so many junky exposed-cam skewers out there that they've given them all a bad name, but good skewers properly secured hold well in most cases.

See: https://sheldonbrown.com/qr for the skinny on good vs bad skewers.

Sheldon "Quick Release" Brown
Code:
+---------------------------------------------+
|  I have suffered from being misunderstood   |
|  but I would have suffered a hell of a lot  |
|  more if I had been understood.             |
|                         --Clarence Darrow   |
+---------------------------------------------+
Old 09-20-05, 06:18 PM
crotchety young dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
No I don't! Skewers rule, but only if they're good skewers. There are so many junky exposed-cam skewers out there that they've given them all a bad name, but good skewers properly secured hold well in most cases.

See: https://sheldonbrown.com/qr for the skinny on good vs bad skewers.

Sheldon "Quick Release" Brown
Oops. My mistake! I thought I had read on your site that it could be pretty iffy. Well, carry on.
Old 09-20-05, 06:26 PM
Bikes are Fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cusack
Wow, my question quickly derailed into a debate over skewers v bolts... for the record... my old set-up consisted of a bolt-on rear with a quick-release front hub secured with a locking skewer... a friend of mine rides a singlespeed geared at around 52-16 and used to pull off his rear wheel going up hills... he recently switched to locking skewers and hasn't had the problem... regardless, it looks like i will be resigned to carrying around an extra cable... thanks for the tips! (oh and i am not trying to snark about the change of topic... i realized there probably wasn't a lot of info for what i was asking)
just get some phil hex key track nuts and glue some bearings in there. it'll be fairly safe...
Old 09-20-05, 08:58 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by honduraz10
just get some phil hex key track nuts and glue some bearings in there. it'll be fairly safe...
Unlike most track hubs, Phils use bolts, not nuts. The Phil bolts don't work with any other hub.

Sheldon "Phils Are The Best" Brown
Code:
+------------------------------------------------------+
|   A billion here, a couple of billion there --       |
|   first thing you know it adds up to be real money.  |
|                    --Sen. Everett McKinley Dirksen   |
Old 09-20-05, 09:35 PM
Frankly, Mr. Shankly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you get Phils, you can run the locking skewers with the QR adaptor conversion kit that Phil sells.

Read this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/63312-locking-skewers-track-bike.html

Unaesthetic did this:

Old 09-21-05, 07:36 AM
Bikes are Fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
Unlike most track hubs, Phils use bolts, not nuts. The Phil bolts don't work with any other hub.

Sheldon "Phils Are The Best" Brown
Code:
|   A billion here, a couple of billion there --       |
|   first thing you know it adds up to be real money.  |
|                    --Sen. Everett McKinley Dirksen   |
ahhhh. i thought that the phils were nuts that somehow worked with an allen key, but now that you say that i realize that doesnt make sense.
Old 09-21-05, 08:28 AM
foo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i just bought a new set of wheels on Formula hubs, and apparently they can't be rethreaded with quick-release axles because of their construction...
Anyone know specifically why a quick-release axle can't be used with this hub? Or more generally, is there a rule of thumb that determines QR/bolt-on axle interchangeability?
Old 09-21-05, 08:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that pitlock site is fairly terrible... but i got this far into it...

https://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl...%26rls%3Den-us

from what i can tell, that would be perfect... (if these Formula hubs have the same size axles as are listed compatible) but of course they don't sell them in the US... i think i will contact them and become the first US distributor... i am gonna make a million dollars! thanks all...
Old 09-21-05, 08:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oops... broken link... sorry.
Old 09-21-05, 09:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 0x4C
Anyone know specifically why a quick-release axle can't be used with this hub? Or more generally, is there a rule of thumb that determines QR/bolt-on axle interchangeability?

they are sealed cartridge hubs... i guess if you take them apart, they won't go back together...
Old 09-21-05, 09:26 AM
i don't stop

Bikes: soma rush, giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm not for using qr on a fix, but if you had chain tugs, then there should be no issue. in fact a chain tug on the drive side should hinder any type of slippage.
Old 09-21-05, 11:25 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Why not just slightly loosen the front wheel, remove it and lock it up against the rear wheel thru the frame?
Al
Old 09-21-05, 12:23 PM
d_D
645f44

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 0x4C
Generally if the hub uses cartridge bearings it needs a specific axle.
The axle needs a smooth surface of the correct diameter for the cartridge bearing to sit on. Many also have a step to prevent the bearing from being pushed too far onto the axle.
Since different hubs use different size bearings and position them differently in the hub shell axles are not interchangeable between different hubs.

There is nothing stopping the manufacturer or a third party from producing a qr axle for a particular hub but I expect this doesn't happen because demand for qr fixed hubs is very low. Looks like phil may be the only fixed hubs where this is an option.

Last edited by d_D; 09-21-05 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 12:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by travsi
i'm not for using qr on a fix, but if you had chain tugs, then there should be no issue. in fact a chain tug on the drive side should hinder any type of slippage.
Tugs or not, there is no issue. If taking your wheels off with a flick of the wrist scares you, then by all means don't run a QR.

el twe- see what ****ty infomation causes?
Old 09-21-05, 01:22 PM
foo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they are sealed cartridge hubs... i guess if you take them apart, they won't go back together...
That can't be accurate, because you can take the axle out to replace the bearings. I think I'm convinced by the argument that nobody probably makes a QR axle that fits it, that makes complete sense now that I think about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.