Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

My COWorker...

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

My COWorker...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 02:24 PM
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My COWorker...

I work with a lady who has to be one of the most rediculous people I have ever met.

This chick is about 5'6", 250lbs none of it being muscle. Now I wouldn't have a problem with that under normal circumstances, hell I am no "pure climber" myself at 6' 230lbs, here is where I get peeved about her.

She is constantly walking around the office complaining and moaning about how fat she is, and how her back hurts and all this nonsense, meanwhile she buys full SACKS of fast food twice a day, every day.

This morning she had a bag of McDonalds which contained 4 Sausage and Egg McMuffins and 2 hasbrowns and wolfed them down.

Now this afternoon she comes back from Jack In The Box with a double cheese burger, large fries, two tacos and a coke.

But the part that threw me into hysterics and forced me to post this is *drumroll*...................................................................she is going to start spending $75 a week on Weight Loss Acupuncture!!

Are you F'n kidding me!?

Here's a weight loss tip for ya, stop eating crappy food, and if you are gonna eat crappy food don't eat enough for 4 people every meal and do it twice a day. I am not going to say I never eat at Jack in the Box, hell I love the place, but it is once a week tops and I ride a bike 20 miles a day, there's a friggin difference.
[/rant]
Old 09-21-05, 02:35 PM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
between breakfast and lunch she had 4 mcmuffins, 2 hashbrowns, 1 double cheeseburger, 2 tacos, fries, and a softdrink?! oh my god. that's disgusting. i wonder what's for dinner? i'm getting a little sick just thinking about it.

for comparison i had a bagel, small coffee, and a baked chicken with rice and beans.
Old 09-21-05, 02:36 PM
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Make her watch "Biggest Loser"

Do you two have a good rapport? Maybe you could offer to go to lunch with her and stuff, and lead by example....
Old 09-21-05, 02:37 PM
Race to train

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sad, True, To Damn Common!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-05, 02:38 PM
Race to train

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh I forgot, she must have slow metabolism or an inactive thyroid
Old 09-21-05, 02:49 PM
Long Haul Truckin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
between breakfast and lunch she had 4 mcmuffins, 2 hashbrowns, 1 double cheeseburger, 2 tacos, fries, and a softdrink?! oh my god. that's disgusting. i wonder what's for dinner? i'm getting a little sick just thinking about it.

for comparison i had a bagel, small coffee, and a baked chicken with rice and beans.
I had a bowl of cereal, turkey and swiss with mustard on wheat bread, a can of diet soda, and lots of water. Have a small bag of trail mix left for an afternoon snack.
Old 09-21-05, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today i was on line waiting for the elevator and right next to me was this fat disgusting blob of a person. She was carrying two bags of McDonald's as we waited 5 minutes for the elevator. When it came she got off on the second floor. THE SECOND FLOOR!!!! The freaking stairs was right next to the elevator. lol

I wonder if severely overweight people think they any better then chain smokers and heroin addicts.
Old 09-21-05, 04:42 PM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NYCBM
Today i was on line waiting for the elevator and right next to me was this fat disgusting blob of a person. She was carrying two bags of McDonald's as we waited 5 minutes for the elevator. When it came she got off on the second floor. THE SECOND FLOOR!!!! The freaking stairs was right next to the elevator. lol

I wonder if severely overweight people think they any better then chain smokers and heroin addicts.
Forget weight loss acupuncture, get her some smack, she'll waste away to nothing in no-time.
Old 09-21-05, 05:12 PM
Zen Cyclist

Bikes: Orbea Orca Campified...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well obviously she wants to get slimmer without doing any of the work. Sadly a lot of people wold rather do shortcuts versus the real thing (heck why do we buy 15 lb bikes, or count the weight of our bottle holders when some of us are 50+ pounds overweight)
Old 09-21-05, 06:35 PM
The Question Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some of these replies are uncalled for. This women needs help, not for us to heckle her.
Old 09-21-05, 07:27 PM
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Weight loss acupuncture? Is that where they stick a needle through your upper and lower lips and remove it once a week?

Seriously, have a little tolerance. People who haven't been overweight before have no clue how easy it is to put on weight. Marriage, work, kids, stress, you name it. Been there, done that, trying hard as hell to lose it.
Old 09-21-05, 09:26 PM

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaye
I work with a lady who has to be one of the most rediculous people I have ever met.

This chick is about 5'6", 250lbs none of it being muscle. Now I wouldn't have a problem with that under normal circumstances, hell I am no "pure climber" myself at 6' 230lbs, here is where I get peeved about her.

She is constantly walking around the office complaining and moaning about how fat she is, and how her back hurts and all this nonsense, meanwhile she buys full SACKS of fast food twice a day, every day.

This morning she had a bag of McDonalds which contained 4 Sausage and Egg McMuffins and 2 hasbrowns and wolfed them down.

Now this afternoon she comes back from Jack In The Box with a double cheese burger, large fries, two tacos and a coke.

But the part that threw me into hysterics and forced me to post this is *drumroll*...................................................................she is going to start spending $75 a week on Weight Loss Acupuncture!!

Are you F'n kidding me!?

Here's a weight loss tip for ya, stop eating crappy food, and if you are gonna eat crappy food don't eat enough for 4 people every meal and do it twice a day. I am not going to say I never eat at Jack in the Box, hell I love the place, but it is once a week tops and I ride a bike 20 miles a day, there's a friggin difference.
[/rant]

Did she really eat 4 sausage egg Mcmuffins and 2 hashbrowns? I am a big guy with a big appetite but I don't think I could eat that in one sitting. That sounds like a disorder. She likely needs help.
Old 09-21-05, 10:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaye
This chick is about 5'6", 250lbs none of it being muscle. <snip> She is constantly walking around the office complaining and moaning about how fat she is...
Clearly the problem is genetic.

Of course I'm kidding, but I'll bet other members of her family eat just as poorly and all think it 's a genetic curse.
Old 09-21-05, 10:44 PM

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well... she's opened the door by complaining about her weight. Not "open the door to ridicule" however tempting. She's opened the door for discussion.

<RANT MODE>

Pretty straight: either she listens to GOOD advice (which you're qualified to give if you live a healthy, biking lifestyle) or she SHUTS THE HELL UP and lives with being fat.

I f**king hate people who either don't take responsibility or get defensive when you address their "issues" respectfully with honesty and can't accept what they're hearing.

</RANT MODE>

If, after being spoken with respectfully about her options, she continues to whine, I'd say that's grounds to ask her to stop whining or taking it up the ladder on the grounds of an unsuitable work environment. People like that are a drag.
Old 09-22-05, 06:24 AM
Twincities MN

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by af895
I f**king hate people who either don't take responsibility or get defensive when you address their "issues" respectfully with honesty and can't accept what they're hearing.
Sometimes they're just not ready to hear it from you. If some Jane Schmo came up to you and started giving you all kinds of advice, would you listen? Build a trust, a friendship, then maybe they would become more receptive, and even sometimes that will backfire.
Old 09-22-05, 06:36 AM

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kuan
Sometimes they're just not ready to hear it from you. If some Jane Schmo came up to you and started giving you all kinds of advice, would you listen? Build a trust, a friendship, then maybe they would become more receptive, and even sometimes that will backfire.

Communication is the single thing humans have most difficulty with.

I think the OP has an opportunity - and you're right. It should be approached slowly and with care.

It's been my experience some people - many people - just don't know what's possible or how to make it happen. My ex business partner tactfully gave me encouragement on how to get in shape and I did it. I might not have taken his advice to heart if he hadn't been so sensitive about it.

I like your sig. :9
Old 09-22-05, 07:40 AM
Brick Snotshoulders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheebahmunkey
some of these replies are uncalled for. This women needs help, not for us to heckle her.
She needs help, indeed. Unfortunately she seems to _want_ magic.
Old 09-22-05, 08:36 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Well combined with an inactive lifestyle and a 9000 calorie diet, it is quite hard to put on any weight at all.
Old 09-22-05, 08:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either that's dripping with sarcasm or the point is you'll die from a coronary from that kind of behaviour. At which point weight is irrelevant since you're pushing up daisies...
Old 09-22-05, 11:16 AM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It took getting diagnosed with Type II diabetes to get me to alter my lifestyle. At that point, the reality of what I was, or was not, doing to my body became very real. I had a moment of clarity that has changed my life. It may take such a moment for her to change as well.
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 09-22-05, 11:37 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get really sick of MANY people on this forum who really seem to LOVE to bash fat people (happens in Foo forum all the time). I get really worked up over it sometimes, but I try not to lash back too hard because I know these people probably know people like this Co-worker of yours. It's people like her who give us fat people who ARE trying to do something about it (the RIGHT WAY) a bad name!
Old 09-22-05, 11:41 AM
Gravel for Breakfast

Bikes: Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheebahmunkey
Monkey, you must be new to BikeForums.

We HATE fat people. We don't just disapprove of them or feel sorry for them. We want to ridicule them and spit on them and kill them.
Old 09-22-05, 12:50 PM
Long Haul Truckin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingTermite
I get really sick of MANY people on this forum who really seem to LOVE to bash fat people (happens in Foo forum all the time). I get really worked up over it sometimes, but I try not to lash back too hard because I know these people probably know people like this Co-worker of yours. It's people like her who give us fat people who ARE trying to do something about it (the RIGHT WAY) a bad name!
Like I said earlier I have absolutly no problem with fat people, hell I AM a fat person. I do have a problem with as you said, fat people who sit and complain while doing nothing productive about it. If they are happy fat then that is fine too, but if you want to lose weight and are constantly complaining about it don't sit on your butt all day eating fast food and wonder why you can't lose weight.

Once again no offense to anyone on here who is heavy, as obviously if you are on a bike forum you aren't sitting around doing nothing but scarfing down quadruple cheeseburgers.
Old 09-22-05, 01:04 PM
Twincities MN

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please don't see this as rude, but why not ask yourself why this is your problem? Why do you feel as if it's a personal attack on you that someone else is fat and complains about it?

Sometimes what they're saying is not what they want, and what you say to them is not what they want to hear. What they're saying is that they want help but don't know how to get it. Losing weight is a tough thing to do if you've never done it before. The results are not visible overnight and it's hard to stay focused and positive when you're told that 1-2lbs a week is pretty good, especially when you're 250. It's pretty obvious that they know the calories in/calories out formula, but knowing that the whole world looks at fat people kinda odd turns it into some kind of paranoid internal psychological warfare. We kept being told what we should be and that adds to the whole self image problem. It's a neverending spiral for some so all they do is sit home and eat tubs of ice cream. They close themselves off to the world, both physically and psychologically and they get harder and harder to reach. If you really wanna help then stop posting about how it makes you mad where fat people can read it and lend a helping hand. Get up the courage to be OK around other people. Listen and really hear what they are saying. Be yourself, there are fat people and they have problems. Try to be part of the solution, not the problem.
Old 09-22-05, 01:08 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Here's an opportunity for a little Socratic dialogue. You might ask the coworker (sincerely, not snarkily) what she thinks her nutritional problem is, what she would like to change, what her goal is, how the acupuncture works, and how she thinks it will help her achieve her goal. Help her think this through. And you can continue to provide a good example with your moderate diet and exercise. Without insulting, without berating, without preaching.

Good luck, and be nice! (Remember that you're representing us.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.