Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

dog trailer?

Old 09-22-05, 03:45 PM
angry young clown

Bikes: bianchi rollo, trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anybody have any luck with hauling a dog in a trailer? I was thinking that you could convert an old Burley, stick some kind of solid floor in the thing and it might be a decent way of hauling the pup round town. ya see, I like to take my dog to the river for some swim time and I was hoping to cut the truck out of the equation.

any dog specific trailer already on the market that you know of?

thanks
Old 09-22-05, 07:16 PM
Machine is not broken

Bikes: Soma Rush (fixed), Surly Karate Monkey (SS), Specialized P.2 (all the bells and whistles)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking around for a trailer for my dog this summer. The Burleys seemed to be the best choice for me (I have a 60lb basset hound) but damn there expensive. I guess
she'll just have to chase after me for the the whole 2 blocks she can handle.
Old 09-22-05, 07:25 PM
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a buddywho hauled his dachschund mix in a Burley. The dog could sit or stand as he pleased. Later, he started using a Yak (one-wheel trailer), and the could could only stand. It seemed the dog developed back trouble as a result.

I have seen a couple who hauls a large (60 - 80 pound) dog in a two wheel trailer behind their tandem. The trailer looks kinda like a little Roman chariot.
Old 09-22-05, 07:45 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take a look here: https://www.wicycle.com/ldt.htm
Old 09-22-05, 07:49 PM
can't member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.cycletote.com/doggy_tote.html
Old 09-22-05, 08:50 PM
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Wike trailer linked to above. The trailer is plenty comfortable for the dog, and she would lie in it when it was still. However, once we started moving the dog wouldn't stay in the trailer. She got her front legs out and ran with the front legs while her hind legs were stuck in the trailer. It looked funny, but also unsustainable.

I think a lot depends on your dog and your relationship with the dog -- probably a lot more than the specifics of the trailer.
Old 09-22-05, 10:41 PM

Bikes: Terry Titania, Terry Classic, Riv Betty Foy, Riv A Homer Hilsen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Burley flatbed trailer and strap my dog's crate on it. He's only 45 pounds so the medium sized varikennels fit nicely on it. Couldn't take my 108-lb dog though. I can still use the trailer for other uses when not going to the park.
Old 09-22-05, 11:33 PM
Vino 4-ever

Bikes: road, mtn, and several commuter bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve been wondering how it might be possible to bring my 70-pound German Shepherd Dog along on a loaded tour. Strapping the crate to a flatbed trailer seems to be the most practical idea in this thread but I’ve thought about trying to build a trailer around a sturdy dog crate – so that the crate can act as both the structural frame and the carrier for dog.

I found a Cannondale child trailer that a neighbor discarded (only the fabric was torn – it’s ok otherwise.) I thought of using some of the components from that trailer as a starting point.

I have seen the trailers on the wicycle.com site. They look like they would last about 10 seconds with my dog inside if she saw a cat by the side of the road.
Mattie Ross: I am the person for it. Mama was never any good at sums and she could hardly spell “CAT”.
--from the movie True Grit (2010)
Old 09-23-05, 04:18 AM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an old Burley Cub that I ride my miniture dauchaund around in. I just run one of the the belts through her harness. She can sit, stand, and move around a bit, not to mention bark at everything.
Old 09-25-05, 08:52 PM
Oi!

Bikes: Masi Team 3V, Diamond Back road bike that I built through trading massage with my wonderful messenger friends in Sea-town! I just tore it down to build my Masi. This bike served me well for the last 4 years!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Nashbar trailer that I put a solid plastic floor into (drilled holes in it and used zip ties to attach to the frame). Had to put pipe insulation tubing around the edges so that it didn't tear the bottom material. My dog weighs about 45lbs and it works just fine. I also made some other simple modifications to it so that she can lay down.
My advice is to not spend too much money on the trailer and spend the money in the modifications.
Old 09-25-05, 11:28 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Marin mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take my aunt's dog for rides in my son's Burley Cub. He weighs about 65-70 lb and it goes great. The Cub has the hard plastic bottom so there are no worries about durability.

https://www.brantcycle.ca/Html/cub.html
Old 09-25-05, 11:41 PM

Bikes: fishers-sugars and big sur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I only had 1-23lb dachshund, a pannier basket with a solid, modified bottom and a counter-weight worked very well. Gained a second dachshund, (22-pounder) and it was a perfectly balanced load. Off to the dogpark we went. Then (3 years later) came the 3rd dachshund, a 12-pounder. All three fit well into a modified kid-trailer. 3 years after that, came dachshund #4, a 27-pounder. Now we walk.
Old 09-26-05, 07:11 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daskobtimburt
When I only had 1-23lb dachshund, a pannier basket with a solid, modified bottom and a counter-weight worked very well. Gained a second dachshund, (22-pounder) and it was a perfectly balanced load. Off to the dogpark we went. Then (3 years later) came the 3rd dachshund, a 12-pounder. All three fit well into a modified kid-trailer. 3 years after that, came dachshund #4, a 27-pounder. Now we walk.
There is a few Oscar-Meyer jokes in there somewhere.