Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does anyone use cycling as a way to train for another sport?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 12:00 PM
Don't Taunt Happyfunball

Bikes: 2005 Kona Jake the Snake, Fuji Club SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The reason I am asking is that the preliminary ratings are in for tennis and I am probably going to get moved up to next division. This complicates things because I was going to give up tennis to focus on cycling and running. Now I am thinking of giving running instead.
Old 09-03-02, 01:23 PM
Mister Slick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found that cycling has made me a better weightlifter/bodybuilder, a better swimmer, and a much better uncle (I can now exhaust even the most crack-fueled of my nephews).

Cycling has also helped me with one of my favorite sports: Freestyle Pasta Consumption.
Old 09-03-02, 03:46 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no fitness trainer, except for myself. It seems to me though, that tennis already involves a substantial amount of running, though perhaps not sustained endurance running.

I would love to be placed in a position where I was fit enough and had enough energy to have to choose between three different activities. Congratulations on you tennis honor by the way.

Were I confronted with your choices, I think I'd opt to keep all three, just concentrate more on the one at which I was best.

Of course, I also hate running. Thus it would be highly unlikely that I would ever find myself in need of giving it up

Carl
Old 09-03-02, 07:09 PM
Scooby Snax

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
well yeah, I use cycling to keep me in shape, period, and its helped a bit with my Skiing....
never a day with sore quads last winter...
Im now working on my Calves that screamed for 3 weeks...

Old 09-03-02, 07:27 PM
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess it is training. I have a very physical job and it gives me the energy to do it. I don't leave work tired, I have just taken up running also and already do wieght training. And I can eat all the chocolate I want.
Old 09-03-02, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
It has a history with skiers--Jean-Claude Killy used to ride mountain passes on his road bike during summers, Greg LeMond started cycling trying to stay in shape during a snow drought in the mid-1970ls.
Old 09-03-02, 08:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm primarily a rock climber, and i decided i needed to add some more aerobic activities to suplement my climbing. I tried running and absolutely hated it.

then i went to road biking, i fell in love and now i can't stop. it started as climbing with cycling on the side to help with fitness level.

now i am devoting about equal time to both sports, and i can tell that it has helped my climbing considerably
Old 09-03-02, 08:36 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Indirectly. Well maybe directly. As the only other sport I play anymore is bodybuilding / weight lifting it applys directly to my legs. I find some of the more intense xc riding actually made my upper body strong too.

Otherwise there isn't any other sports left I play. But it would have helped my basketball for SURE!!
Old 09-03-02, 10:49 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I used to run to keep in shape for my diving. Like my wet suit to fit and recall being caught in currents. swimming against a strong current back to the boat can be rather freightening. gave up running, it screwed up my right knee.. got pretty blimpy. Discovered cycling from a cycling family- friends. Love the sport..
Still dive but cycling is my passion. I use my race bike to keep in shape so I can go the distance on my touring bike.. Some year I will cross the U.S.
Old 09-03-02, 11:43 PM

Bikes: 2003 tsunami and KHS tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I biked last year in preparation for a 68 mile backpacking trip in New Mexico. It worked!! I did the whole trip and nothing hurt and never used Motrin either and .... I will be 50 soon. All the teenagers that came along thought it was pretty good for "an old man". They asked me how i did it so I had to explain that 10 -15 miles every other day for 4 months before sure did the trick. Now I still ride because I got in the habit. Tennis is certainly more fun than running and easier on all your joints. good luck.
Old 09-04-02, 06:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used Cycling as an adjunct to my Bodybuilding training when I competed. It was great because there was no stress on joints.huge
Old 09-04-02, 10:03 AM

Bikes: Trek 7200, Trek 2200, V. old Malvern Star Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use cycling to improve my aerobic fitness and build up my quads for telemark skiing. Seems to work so far! and I enjoy it!
Old 09-07-02, 07:24 PM

Bikes: LeMond Victoire

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use cycling to maintain my off season fitness for hockey in the winter.
Old 09-07-02, 08:11 PM

Bikes: '01 Norco 125cc, '09 Merida 901

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My preffered sports are soccer and biking and IMHO each helps me do better in the other one.
Old 09-07-02, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My main sport is artistic roller skating. I used to compete, so I took private lessons and skated 4-7 times a week. But in the summer, I love to be outside. I rode bicycles recreationally. When I found out how strong cycling made my legs for skating, and I could be outside--well the love affair started. Now cycling is primary in the summer (150-200 miles a week) and skating only 1-2 times a month. Currently cycling is down to 75-100 miles a week and skating up to 2-3 times a week. I also love downhill skiing in the winter.
Old 09-08-02, 08:00 AM
Don't Taunt Happyfunball

Bikes: 2005 Kona Jake the Snake, Fuji Club SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I am going to stick with cycling and tennis. I have noticed that when people run they look like they are in serious pain. Plus I don't get the enjoyment from it that I used to, but my bike hasn't failed me yet and I think I look a bit more graceful. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-08-02, 06:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i started off just indoor rowing, competetive it then became... running was soon involved, then i broke my kneecap..sigh.. started cycling.. loved it... cycled more almost forgot rowing til i started on the water... cycling rowing indoors and out.. now running again and weightlifting..hmmm did i leave anything out?.. oh yes training for an epic next year.. involves running... a lot..125kms, and cycling... three mountains one river and hopefully i will be able to do the snowshoing event in jan..
just a few things i like to do..lol
Old 09-10-02, 11:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my bike, so that i can build up my legs for hockey season, I find that when I step on the ice, I can last longer, and have more power from cycling during the summer, and it doesn't cost me anything.
Old 09-10-02, 12:36 PM
Skin-Pounder

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drumming. I know, it's not technically a sport, but the cycling keeps me in shape and keeps the legs spry. The further on I go, the more drummers I meet who also share a passion for cycling.