Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend a lock?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! I'm new to biking and need to get a lock. I read the Kryptonite posts in this forum, so I know I don't want the lock you can pick with a Bic -- but beyond that I'm clueless. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-27-05, 09:19 AM
Wheelie

Bikes: Orbit tourer, Revolution MB, Anon Hack, Raleigh St(Thr)owaway folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went through the hunt for a good lock last week and mail-ordered an Onguard Pitbull Mini DT yesterday. Small, relatively light (~2lb) and the DT version has a cable with it. £22UK (US$30?) As far as I can tell it's about second in security to the Kryptonite New Yorker (in D locks). I bought it to share between my MTB and road bikes. It arrived this morning and I think it was the right choice. Better than my old Bic-able D-locks for carrying - can just get it in a (large) under-seat bag.

And I don't work for them!
Old 09-27-05, 10:13 AM
No longer in Wimbledon...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Kryptonite problems were addressed a long time ago- those posts only really apply to older existing owners. Kryptonite, On Guard, Abus all make decent locks. D-locks are generally stronger and easier to carry than cable locks.

Other than that, the specific lock choice is going to be influenced by how much your bike is worth to you and what sort of areas you store it in.
Old 09-27-05, 11:16 AM
Wheelie

Bikes: Orbit tourer, Revolution MB, Anon Hack, Raleigh St(Thr)owaway folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by womble
..... the specific lock choice is going to be influenced by how much your bike is worth to you and what sort of areas you store it in.
Totally agree. I picked the mini as a relatively cheap but good general purpose lock for shopping, touring, pub stops, etc, mainly so I could feel comfortable leaving my new MTB almost anywhere sensible, but check https://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html for more advice and https://www.cycleguard.co.uk/locklist.asp for a long list of tested locks.
Old 09-27-05, 12:21 PM
SDM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a kryptonite and I just bought the lock 2 weeks ago. Guess what my 400 dollar bike got jacked. So no don't get the kryptonite
Old 09-27-05, 12:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone
Old 09-27-05, 02:06 PM
Cornucopia of Awesomeness

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDM
I had a kryptonite and I just bought the lock 2 weeks ago. Guess what my 400 dollar bike got jacked. So no don't get the kryptonite
maybe it was your locking technique and not the lock?
how was the lock compromised? which model?
Old 09-27-05, 02:08 PM
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want/need uber protection, I'd get the Kryptonite chain (the expensive one), and leave it at your destination if you usually ride to the same place (work, school, etc). I'd replace the Stock krypto mini U lock (new or old) with this: https://www.americanlock.com/

I like the American padlock model 700, available at hardware stores for under $30.00 - comes in a regular length and 2" long shackle - more versatile in my opinion, though more exposed metal to cut too. In a real crime risk situation, I'd use the chain with both locks - why not?

You can also get a cheap cable long enough for both wheels and frame (say, 6' long), and use the kryptonite mini-U lock for it. I use that set up for quick lock ups (running into a store/restroom, etc). This is lighter and less cumbersome to lug around. I throw mine in my bag.

Also, don't forget the lock is only half the job - you need to USE it, and also lock up wisely. That means don't lock up in the same place day in day out (thieves WILL come back and they'll have the right tool(s) to get your bike), lock both wheels - esp. if you have QR, and watch out if you have coveted components - you'd be surprised. I am afraid to lock up my 1993 mtb on the street - I was in the past because it was a 'nice' bike, but now that it is older I am wary because I know how hard it is to find 7-speed rapidfire shifters (they go for a coupla hundred bucks on ebay last I heard). So some extra tape or candle wax blocking crucial bolts and screws doesn't hurt if you feel your ride is in jeopardy.

In the end if they want it bad enough they'll get it anyway, so take some precautions to be safe and hope for the best. If it goes you can always get another bike.
Old 09-27-05, 04:21 PM
my dad can still crush me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I go for a "ride" I don't usually take a lock because I am always on or about my bike. When I go out with friends, to shop, or in other point A to point B situations I take a Krypto Chain. I like it for two reasons. I am not worried about my bike when I lock up with it, and it adds 8lbs or so to my carry weight which combined with my bag (remember shopping?) puts me in a place to feel like I am lighter then air when I am out riding. If I am going to ride I want to make it a workout wherever I am going, and if its only six miles or so then taking some weight with me is a plus.

Milo

edit: pgoat, word signature. Who said that?