Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Reuters: New Guidelines Say Eat Less Fat and Exercise More

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-02, 07:40 PM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is one of the Top stories on Yahoo! right now, Is this really news? https://dailynews.yahoo.com/news?tmpl...health_food_dc

Anyone remember the headline a few weeks ago? "drinking causes people to look more attractive."
Old 09-05-02, 09:14 PM
L41

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol...Actually, I think it *is* news. A government sponsored agency of some kind, making recommendations for all Americans to exercise at least an hour a day, and distinguishing between different types of fats (saturated, mono, omega3 and omega6, transfatty acids)? Those may be well-known items to people interested in nutrition and fitness, but I don't remember government recommendations for all Americans reflecting what seems to me fairly current. (I don't think the current food pyramid distinguishes between types of fats, for instance. Or types of carbs, either.)

Given that most of it was quite sensible, given the source, I was a little puzzled by this statement:

"We suggest that no more than 25 percent of total calories should come from added sugars -- essentially soft drinks, pastries, cookies, candy and other foods and beverages to which sugar is added during production."

They want a population to become healthier by throwing away 25% of their daily calories on junk food? :confused:

Oh, well, maybe the 60 minutes of exercise a day will get more people communting on bicycles
Old 09-05-02, 10:36 PM
L41

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally found the report that this newsreport was based on, it's at https://www.nap.edu/books/0309085373/html/

It looks pretty umm, clinical, it seems to be based on the original report that replaced RDAs/RNIs with DRIs (which I thought happened some years ago, where we started getting the %DVs on food labels), and has expanded on that report (rather than being a completely separate report.)

Just in case anyone has trouble sleeping tonight
Old 09-06-02, 07:48 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's a quote from the article:

"We recognize that lifestyles of many in the United States and Canada might make this goal seem difficult to achieve," panel chair Joanne Lupton, a professor of nutrition at Texas A&M University, told a briefing.

A more accurate statement would replace the word “lifestyle” with the words “the laziness”.
Old 09-06-02, 09:24 AM
hehe...He said "member"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-06-02, 02:44 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quoted from the aritcle:

"The panel of 21 scientists and physicians, formed at the request of Congress and various U.S. government agencies and Health Canada, stressed that the guidelines are aimed at healthy people and not designed to help people lose weight."

What's this mean? If you are already healthy and eating and exercising this way keep doing it? If not, wait for some other guidlines?
Old 09-08-02, 04:40 PM
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently saw a news story with the earth-shaking revelation that women can live longer if they exercise! Duh... gee, imageine that you'll live longer if you don't sit on your ass all day watching tv or surfing the net. And people get paid to figure this out. There was another study recently that said kids need to get more exercise.
Old 09-08-02, 06:04 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
I am always amused by how long it takes the government to get around to advocating the practices of the health-conscious subpopulation. Recent "revelations" include the value of: aerobic exercise, resistance exercise, weight-bearing exercise, dietary fiber, quasi-vegetarianism, Vitamin C, minerals, and Vitamin E.

When Jack LaLane founded one of the nation's first "health clubs" in 1937, the mainstream considered him to be a whacko. How many of his critics are still alive and (VERY) well at age 86?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-08-02, 07:23 PM
Oh God, He's back!

Bikes: Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by John E
.....When Jack LaLane founded one of the nation's first "health clubs" in 1937, the mainstream considered him to be a whacko. How many of his critics are still alive and (VERY) well at age 86?
To quote my favorite philosopher Mr William Nelson:
"There more old drunks than there are old doctors, so I guess I'll have another round".
Old 09-09-02, 10:52 AM
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jack LaLanne is still alive? Wow. But I keep seeing people who look ten years younger than they are and it's always because they are athletic. Like one guy who I was told raced at master's level. I was "gedouda here!" I thought he was like 27, tops- turns out he's 34. I keep seeing all these cyclists who are in their 50s and 60s and have the physiques of teenagers! Of course being an athlete is no guarantee of perfect health- you can still get cancer or other diseases, but you sure can LOOK a lot younger for longer!