Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring > Hosted Travelogs and Stories from the Road > Dave through the Americas
Reload this Page >

8.24.02 Ferry to Queen Charlotte Islands, Skidegate

Notices
Dave through the Americas Fallow Dave as he rides his bike from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, Argentina.

Old 09-05-02, 08:04 PM
In Banff, AB

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Worksman Trike (customized for hauling)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I woke up around 7:30am and had an egg breakfast in the hostel kitchen with Flo. I gave him my email and website info and said goodbye. I headed to the coffee house to kill some time on the internet before the bike shop opened at 9:30am. I went to the bike shop and bought a tire for the rear, some more lube and some degreaser so I can clean up the bike. I hit the supermarket for some lunch food for the ferry before quickly riding to the ferry terminal. I boarded the ferry and settled in. We departed at 11am and the weather was looking halfway decent. I went outside to take a photo and enjoy the fresh air. I met Ross, an Australian and Alex, from Quebec, who were traveling together. They were telling me about the good times they had in Smithers, BC. I also met a couple, Jonathan and Tamara who had gotten back from a music festival called Shambalah. It was pretty easy to find good conversation during the ferry ride, which made time go by pretty fast. One guy I met was a forester who explained to me a little bit about the practice of clear cutting and why it makes the most sense for some types of trees. It is because if you left some trees standing, none would grow under them, as they are sensitive to light, or rather the lack of. So clear cutting allows the forest to grow back at the same time, much like it does after a fire. I ate lunch, roast beef and Swiss sandwiches and looked through my magazines. Towards the end of the journey, I went down to my bike and changed the rear tire. I degreased the chain and derailleur components as well. We were soon docked at Skidegate, it was 5:15pm. I said farewell to my new friends, knowing I’d probably run into them in a couple days in Masset, and took off North along the coast. Riding along the coast felt great. It was very refreshing breathing in the air off the ocean. I passed a large cedar tree near the coast and heard the cry of an eagle. I looked in the tree and saw it perched up at the very top. It was a great sight. I also passed some deer feeding by the roadside. One small one didn’t seem to have much fear of me at all. I was able to get pretty close for a photo. There were some nice houses set in the trees near the water and it was easy to be envious of the nice peaceful location of these locals. I passed through the small community of Tlell and started to head inland on the road. Large trees surrounded me on both sides of the road, but occasionally I saw patches of clear cut sections behind a thin wall of trees. I finished my day at the outskirts of Port Clements. I found a nice place to camp amongst the ruins of an ancient forest. I did some writing and snacked on jerky and trail mix before bed. (42 miles)

Peace

Dave
Whirrled Peas - No War!
Old 09-26-02, 12:37 AM
In Banff, AB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pic: Ferry to the Queen Charlottes. The weather starts to clear up!
Whirrled Peas - No War!
Old 09-26-02, 12:38 AM
In Banff, AB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pic: Ferry to Queen Charlottes
Whirrled Peas - No War!
Old 09-26-02, 12:39 AM
In Banff, AB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pic: Eagle in the top of a cedar tree on the coast of Graham Island just outside of Skidegate
Whirrled Peas - No War!