Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton copy?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton copy?

Old 09-28-05, 08:04 PM

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brompton copy?

Has anyone else seen these:

https://www.mercbike.co.uk/

They look like a blatant Brompton copy, at very good value compared to the Brompton... In fact, the copy seems to be so close I imagine it must be under licence or they would surely be sued????

Anyone know anything about them?
Old 10-06-05, 07:19 AM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I found this in the Marque reviews on the A to B site:
https://www.atob.org.uk/Buyers'_Guide.html#Merc

"Merc: Dysfunctional Pirate Copy:
A bit scary this. The Merc is an attractive Chinese pirated clone of the Brompton, correct in most respects, and apparently upgraded from the classic British bike, thanks to a light alloy frame. The reality is a bike that weighs 13.2kg (heavier than the steel Brompton!), on which almost nothing works properly - the saddle slips down, the brakes barely function, the front carrier block is a bit dodgy, and the cables get in a tangle when you fold it up. If offered one at the ludicrous price of £499 - or any other price - just say no."
Old 10-06-05, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah i remember reading that bit, sounded like a def. no go! Buyer Beware!

That page was last updated in July, so i am assuming the review reflects the current quality of the Mercs...?

Since i am also a little intrigued by these bikes i wrote the Merc peeps the following:

---
Hey there,

A rather authorative site on folders has some words to say on your bike.. I was wondering what your response is as i am considering buying 4 or maybe 5 of your bikes but was dismayed by the review. Specifically i want to know of the problems mentioned are a thing of the past and whether you produce your bikes under license of Brompton.. Thank You.

The review on:

https://www.atob.org.uk/Buyers'_Guide.html#Merc

Reads: "Text on merc Here"
---------

Should be interesting to see if they reply and what. So i did bend the truth , i don't think i will buy 4 or 5 ha ha, but hey if they are actually pirating a rotten copy (merc as in "Mercenary...?) i can't say i feel too guilty...

Also according to the Merc site the 3 speed bike weighs 12,34 Kilo's... huh...?

Last edited by v1nce; 10-06-05 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-08-05, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a blatant copy but the reality is that Brompton's patents have long ago expired so there is nothing illegal here. Time for Brompton to start innovating a bit.

you should also know that the publisher's of A to B are sometime Brompton employees (they work trade shows for Brompton) so their indignation is somewhat to be expected.
Old 10-08-05, 05:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah,.. that is interesting info, you gotta wonder if their review is really fair then. I must say the review seemed a little incongruous with the Merc Pics on the site. Of course you can make any bike look good on a site. What was the price diff. between the Merc and Brompton again anyway?

So far no reply from Merc btw..