Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you live in a bike friendly town?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you live in a bike friendly town?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-05, 07:13 AM
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Columbus is decent, but it has work to do. The biggest problems are a large number of barrier intersections, mostly over/under freeways and rivers.

Columbus could get worse in the next few years. Instead of addressing the barrier intersections (of which the city has made a really neat map), the city is thinking about putting in a network of bike lanes on 25 mph downtown streets, which would would make the downtown cyclist-unfriendly.

Last edited by Daily Commute; 10-02-05 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-02-05, 09:34 PM

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pittsburgh has some hills. There is realatively little car traffic so that helps. Check out this link. The best bikin' city that I have lived in was Madison WI. Trouble there is that it stays below 0 for months.

https://www.bicyclinginfo.org/de/friendly.htm

Here is an example of how cool of a cycling city Madison really is-- they lend city employees bikes to use as an alternative to the motorpool!

https://www.ci.madison.wi.us/Environment/BikesAtWork.htm
Old 10-03-05, 06:31 PM
rained out

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Twin Cities, especially Minneapolis, are quite bike friendly, I think. Lots of bicycle-specific infrastructure (designed with both recreational cyclists and commuters in mind). Drivers are generally cooperative (especially in the inner cities) with bicyclists on the streets. All public buses and trains have bike racks, and there's a large, active cycling community. And Minneapolis just got a big piece of transportation pork from the feds to improve and expand bicycle infrastructure.

As in Madison, however, year-round cycling is out unless you're very hardy. A surprisingly large number of people do it, but I'm far too wimpy to be among them. I don't venture out on two wheels during December, January, or February.

Cost of living is a lot higher than it used to be, especially housing. Still, it's a bargain compared to California or most of the Northeast.