Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a better bike shop in denver area than performance?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-28-05, 10:13 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Starting to get tired of performance. Is there a better bike shop in the Boulder-Denver area?

My ideal would have:
-- good selection of road/touring bikes. [Perfect would have at least trek, litespeed, merlin]
-- good selection of accessories: lights, cyclometers
-- good selection of bike clothing
-- fair pricing
-- excellent service dept

thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Old 09-28-05, 11:12 PM
Mmmm...Hardtails

Bikes: '01 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok there is bicycle village on wadsworth near bowls but they will screw you if you dont know much on bikes. They are a chain and their service center will do more than you need. Big kahuna bike is off of ken carl road 9032 W. Ken Caryl Ave. Check them out at https://bigkahunabicycles.com/site/intro.cfm They carry a bunch of brands. They have excelent service. If you are looking for a deal there is a shop in boulder called Boulder Gear Recycler. They are very unhelpful and are drinking no matter what time of day you go in. You can also get some of the best deals on cycling related items. It is used stuff but a cool shop recomend checking it out.
Old 09-29-05, 02:40 PM
Big Man Riding...

Bikes: '07 Fuji Roubaix RC, '04 Kona Hoss, '95 Cannondale RT2000 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For bikes & service, I'd recommend The Bicycle Pedal'r at University and County Line (https://bicyclepedalr.com/site/intro.cfm). They carry Litespeed and Trek (among others) and have good service, knowledgable and caring staff/mechanics and a nicely setup store.

For a big selection of accessories, you can't go wrong with Supergo in Westminster. The store is near 88th and Wads and features about the most inventory (especially clothing) of any store I've been to. Fair notice - if you're anti-Performance - Supergo is owned by the same parent company.

If you like Pearl Izumi gear, there's a great place at the Flatirons Crossing Mall in Broomfield - Cutting Edge Sports. It's a Pearl concept store and carries nearly everything PI.
Old 09-29-05, 04:00 PM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not anti-performance, just annoyed at their narrow focus. The supergo and performance catelogues seem about the same. Guess I'll have to check out the supergo store. Wads and 88 is as close as boulder.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-29-05, 04:26 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
not anti-performance, just annoyed at their narrow focus. The supergo and performance catelogues seem about the same. Guess I'll have to check out the supergo store. Wads and 88 is as close as boulder.

Thanks for the info.
Supergo is even more narrowly focused than Performance, it that is possible. On the north side of town there is Golden Bear; Louisville Cyclery LLC
1032 South Boulder Road , Louisville, (303) 665-6343; University Bicycles 839 Pearl; Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl, (303) 440-3535, just to name a few. Do a Dex search, print the list and go ride to all of them. If the shop is too clean, smells bad, doesn't offer you coffee, laugh's at your bike or any of a number of other things, go to the next one. It should be a fun thing to do on a Saturday.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-30-05, 01:45 PM
angry young clown

Bikes: bianchi rollo, trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've alwaysd liked the folks down at Turin- but for me its a bit less about what they stock and more about their attitude and friendliness. I like the "knowledgeable and every bicyclist that comes in is worthy of assistance" approach; even the ones who have inexpensive bikes and might've neglected them for awhile (is that me I'm talking 'bout?)
Old 09-30-05, 01:52 PM
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard really, really good things about Wheatridge Cyclery... but they were closed the only day I went by.
Old 09-30-05, 03:05 PM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by brokenrobot
I've heard really, really good things about Wheatridge Cyclery... but they were closed the only day I went by.
To Rollo, I'm beginning to like Turin a bit more than I used to. Got a Fuji Touring for my daughter there. To brokenrobot: Wheatridge isn't as friendly as it used to be. I've had some run ins with snotty teenage mechanics that tell me that what I've been doing for ages can't be done. I'm not real happy when someone tells me that especially when I know that they don't have a clue!

My favorite shop is Westside Cycling and Fitness on Wadsworth and Colfax. Doug and his guys are a great crew. I get a lot of my bikes and gear there.

But Mile High lives in Boulder so I thought I'd concentrate on there for him.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-30-05, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bicycle village in aurora has a huge selection of bikes and accessories. Trek, bianchi, merline, lightspeed, guru, nirve, lemond, etc.

they seem nice overall, but some stuff is pricey. You can get deals if your patient and keep checking out the closeout bins though.

Kind of bored with performance, supergo, BV and all the big shops. They are all great for the closeouts, but mediocre for anything else.

I've had good experiences in the past with Wheat ridge(8 years ago) and green mtn (5 years ago, and would like to try salvagetti next. (Not sure if the latter two will meet your needs as they are a bit smaller though.)
Old 09-30-05, 07:10 PM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
But Mile High lives in Boulder so I thought I'd concentrate on there for him.
No, just have to go to Boulder a lot. Live between Boulder & Denver.
Old 09-30-05, 07:11 PM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MMPC
If you like Pearl Izumi gear, there's a great place at the Flatirons Crossing Mall in Broomfield - Cutting Edge Sports. It's a Pearl concept store and carries nearly everything PI.
I like some of the Pearl stuff, but cutting edge tends to be pricey.
Old 10-03-05, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
No, just have to go to Boulder a lot. Live between Boulder & Denver.
Just figured that I'd stick to the north side shops. Arvada Bicycles at 64th and Wadsworth is okay. I've heard good things about Front Range Schwinn at Ralston Rd. and Kipling, too.

Old 10-04-05, 09:34 AM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Appreciate the info. I don't have any pressing needs now, but will refer to this thread when I have a new want. I've seen the arvada bike shop many times, but usually after hours so haven't stopped there yet.
Old 10-04-05, 01:27 PM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
In Boulder:

Bicycle Village
2100 28th St.
Boulder 80301

Cutting Edge
2626 Baseline Road
Boulder 80305

Performance Bicycle
2450 Arapahoe Ave.
Boulder

University Bicycles
839 Pearl Street
Boulder 80302

If you go to Longmont:

Blue Sky Cycles.... (My Choice)
600 S. Airport Rd. (Airport and Nelson)
Longmont.

Old 10-05-06, 02:44 PM
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Highly recommend Vecchio's for service and parts. No attitude, extremely knowledgeable, friendly. Small shop so not as much selection on clothing but their parts selection is no-nonsense. Even have Berthoud fenders, last time I was there. And yes they are usually sipping a microbrew in the late afternoon. It's only two guys (Sean and Peter) so you know who is working on your bike. If it is a small repair then it's done quickly and often freely. What more could I ask for in a shop?

A co-worker recommends Pro Peloton. They have high-end stuff, Merlin, Waterford, Lightspeed, etc. I have never used them but the folks were very friendly when I just needed to patch my tube and use their air.

University Cycles has a large selection of bikes but it's hit or miss as far as sales/service. I think they have some fairly high turnover with their college kids. They replaced a broken frame for me twice and I didn't even buy the bike from them.

Excel Sports is okay for parts if you know what you want but I always feel a little inadequate when I walk in there. I have had a few bad experiences there even after buying a frame (they tried to convince me that I needed to buy new crank$$ instead of swapping out the bb) from them but they are convenient and their prices are fair enough.

Full Cycle has lots of bikes/bags/clothing but looks just like University Bicycles to me. Lots of college kids on the floor. Not a knock against college kids but I tend to trust mechanics older than my rides.
1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE
Old 10-05-06, 08:57 PM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks again. agree about excel sports. got my new saddle there, but had to know what I wanted. no display area to browse and dream
Old 10-05-06, 09:13 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts
+ 3 on Vecchios. They are awesome!! I rate them number one!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.