Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike Stand. Mechanics I need your help.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-05, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been doing work on my bike on the floor, most of the time flipping the bike upside down so it stands on its handle bar and seat. I am looking for a stand to make it easier on me to work on the bike. I don't know much about stands, but for those out there that have them please share your experience. The one I see that is reasonable priced is this link below

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...ategory_ID=4216

I can get it for $129 with tax at the local store. Is the operation and feasability the same as the Park Tool? or Pedro's Stand?

Any help will be appreciated. I need to make my decision by October 2nd.
Old 10-01-05, 12:42 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
A decent work stand makes bike maintainance much easier and allows some jobs you can't do without one.

Any of the Parks are good to excellent. I also expect the Performance stand will do fine and is fairly well priced.
Old 10-01-05, 03:03 PM
Tail End Charlie

Bikes: Fuji Nevada MTB, Giant OCR1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My bike stand consists of 2 pieces of rope attached to one of the beams in my garage with a carabiner on each end. I loop one around the saddle & one around the handlebars. Took a little experimentation to figure out the best rope length.

Works for me.
Old 10-01-05, 03:54 PM
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I like the ropes from the ceiling beams...

I use my trailer hitch rack. Back the van up to the garage, put the bike on the outside position, and voila.

Az
Old 10-01-05, 04:32 PM
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You may also want to search the forum. This topic comes up pretty frequently.
Old 10-01-05, 04:48 PM

Bikes: See sig.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
A decent work stand makes bike maintainance much easier and allows some jobs you can't do without one.

Any of the Parks are good to excellent. I also expect the Performance stand will do fine and is fairly well priced.
Like?

I built up a bike without a stand. I've replaced rims without a truing stand.

Just a little more difficult.
Old 10-01-05, 05:36 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by ivan_yulaev
I built up a bike without a stand. I've replaced rims without a truing stand. Just a little more difficult.
OK, I stand corrected, you can do nearly any repair on a bike without a repair stand. You can jury rig almost any job. However, "just a little more difficult" understates it. Surgery has been done with a pocket knife on a kitchen table but the right tools make it a lot easier.
Old 10-01-05, 05:54 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Ultimate consumer model. It's a quality unit, and I've never read a bad worde about Ultimate products. I even service my C'Dale tandem on it. It's a great, strong work stand.
Old 10-01-05, 06:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response guys. Wow so you guys just tie up 2 ropes to do maintainence. That's smart.

Old Hammer Boy.. I was just at supergo/performance bike and I looked at the Ultimate Stands they are pretty good, but they are $200+ as the Spin Doctor is $129 out the door.

I am going to have to make my purchase tomorrow, Sunday october 2nd.

Anyone have this Spin Doctor stand or know if it is worth $129. I was trying out the park tool stand. I wasn't sure which model it was but it felt like it would tip over easily.
Old 10-01-05, 09:36 PM
TMX
Motorist Apologist

Bikes: 1998 Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustBikeNow
Thanks for the response guys. Wow so you guys just tie up 2 ropes to do maintainence. That's smart.

Old Hammer Boy.. I was just at supergo/performance bike and I looked at the Ultimate Stands they are pretty good, but they are $200+ as the Spin Doctor is $129 out the door.
Just an FYI - blue sky cycling has the Ultimate BRS-70B for $95.00 ($112.00 total inc. shipping from CA to NC). The catch is that it is back ordered, but they're expected to ship again by the 14th of October.

https://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...pair-Stand.htm

-Bob
Old 10-01-05, 09:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, if you're talking about the "Spindoctor Essential" it's unstable crappola. I can barely turn the cranks without the bike trying to topple over sideways. The 'Team' design looks better but can't speak from experience. Ask the LBS if you can take it out of the box and set it up, put your bike on it. Or if you can return it if not happy. I think mine's going back to Performance.
Old 10-02-05, 02:26 AM

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ultimate. Just search the forums, there's plenty to be said about them. And yes, I work on a tandem with mine too.
Old 10-02-05, 05:21 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R-1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use to use a vairation of the rope and ceiling method. Insted of rope I used two motorcycle tiedown straps suspended from 2 eyehooks. The advantage of the tiedown straps is that you can adjust the hight. You can work on a seat clamp, then pull on the adjusting end of the strap and then go to work on the drivetrain without have to bend over. I now use a Topeak work stand.
Old 10-02-05, 07:41 AM

Bikes: 2007 Salsa El Santo / 2004 Salsa La Raza / 1998 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMX
Just an FYI - blue sky cycling has the Ultimate BRS-70B for $95.00 ($112.00 total inc. shipping from CA to NC). The catch is that it is back ordered, but they're expected to ship again by the 14th of October.

-Bob
I bought this stand from MEC in Toronto last winter, and it's great. The only complaint I have is with the plastic clamps, which have cracked (but still hold nice and tight). I paid more then (CDN $169) but I still think it was worth it -- much better than the low-end Park stands, which were all wobbly and unstable.

Jason
Old 10-02-05, 08:09 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Az B
I like the ropes from the ceiling beams...

I use my trailer hitch rack. Back the van up to the garage, put the bike on the outside position, and voila.

Az
- ditto on the hitch rack... works great!

- but in the end, due to wanting to work during stormy conditions, i popped for the $144 Ultimate Stand from REI's Outlet. The stand is a BRS-80.

- disclaimer: i don't work for REI (although i've been a member since late '70s)
Old 10-02-05, 11:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linux_author
- ditto on the hitch rack... works great!

- but in the end, due to wanting to work during stormy conditions, i popped for the $144 Ultimate Stand from REI's Outlet. The stand is a BRS-80.

- disclaimer: i don't work for REI (although i've been a member since late '70s)

Oh that's a nice price.. $144. But if I am going with utlimate I would want the ELITE version. That one touch clamp design is very nice.

BTW for those who are going to get it on REI-outlet. Here is the 20% coupon GMCP9.
Old 10-02-05, 11:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMX

-Bob

Bob.... Great and AWESOME price. I am not far from Huntington Park. About 20min away. But I haven't done much research on the ultimate. What do reviews say about this one. It's a $30 difference from this one and the PRO G3 from Performance
Old 10-02-05, 02:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/sea...=i-srch-search
Should provide an idea for the best Ultimate price/s.
I am very satisfird with my BRS-80. Good Luck!
Old 10-02-05, 03:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Justbikenow, if this is the strand you are talking about, I bought one a few days ago.....great stand and I also got the 20% off plus the $12 in free merchandise....great stand!! I was also looking at the ultimate and this is the same stand but under the performance brand....this one just a better deal at this point

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=4216
Old 10-02-05, 03:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoops wrong link

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4216
Old 10-02-05, 09:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doco

Yea. That the exact same one. I just picked mine up today. I mind as well buy it for $129 with tax instead of buying it tomorrow which will be $161. They have a good return policy as well so better to be safe and save a few more bucks.. I haven't opened mine yet but I played with the demo in-store. So far it looks great and it has that tool compartment built-in it. Good Choice Doco!