Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

>>>Give me advice!<<<<

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

>>>Give me advice!<<<<

Old 10-05-05, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>>Give me advice!<<<<

I'd like to get into semi-serious cycling, and right now I'm considering mainly $400/$500 hybrids, as I'd like something that can move pretty well. I love speed. I also want something that isn't too delicate for around town riding; it will be my only bike for now. Shocks aren't a must, but a plus.

However, I've also seen some good deals on used bikes, mostly through Ebay and Craigslist, but mostly road bikes (it seems people like to hold on to hybrids), which also interest me, but are generally too expensive new.

I want something that's relatively inexpensive, has good speed on average city road conditions as well as on trails and maybe a little light off-road, has good components (gears/shifters are a priority), and doesn't look too shabby.

So far I've ridden a Marin Larkspur and Muirwoods, a Trek 7300fx, and a Specialized Sirrus and Crossroads Elite. I didn't like the feeling of the ride on the Trek as much as the two Marins, but I liked its drivetrain/shifting/gearing system the best, as it felt more solid and less likely to need maintanence.
The extra cost ($500 range vs. $400) was apparent in the ride of the specialized bikes, plus the fact that they had shocks, which may or may not be prefferable. Overall, the Specialized bikes seemed to climb better and coast faster. I loved those bikes, but I'd rather not spend that much, I'm on a budget.

Sooo, my question is, how do I find an affordable bike with all of these qualities? The less I spend the better, and I'd really like tips on specific models or methods of buying/researching, plus suggestions for which type of bike I should get. Is there any kind of all-encompassing database of bike models/reviews out there?

If you have any particularly useful piece of advice or know someone who does, you can email it to jkh_bomb@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Julian
Old 10-05-05, 01:33 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out the Jamis Coda Sport. You might be able to find a 2005 or 2004 model on sale this time of year.

https://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_codasport.html
Old 10-05-05, 07:54 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Your needs had "Kona Dew" written all over them. Find a Kona dealer - don't wait!
Old 10-28-05, 07:54 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by elcyciB
So far I've ridden a Marin Larkspur and Muirwoods, a Trek 7300fx, and a Specialized Sirrus and Crossroads Elite. I didn't like the feeling of the ride on the Trek as much as the two Marins, but I liked its drivetrain/shifting/gearing system the best, as it felt more solid and less likely to need maintanence.
The extra cost ($500 range vs. $400) was apparent in the ride of the specialized bikes, plus the fact that they had shocks, which may or may not be prefferable. Overall, the Specialized bikes seemed to climb better and coast faster. I loved those bikes, but I'd rather not spend that much, I'm on a budget.

If you like the Specialized and it fits that's all that matters. A $100 more once you get the bike isn't going to matter. If you go cheaper you'll always be thinking if the other bike really was better. Spend the money.
Old 10-28-05, 10:13 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't use Greater Than and Lessor Than characters in subject line. The forum members respond well without making the subject line listing hard to read.

You may think you're a semi-serious cycling, but by your price point limit you're just barely at the 1/3 the average cost of a road bike.

Either:
A- face the fact you're not into semi-serious biking yet, or
B- up your purchase budget.

Code:
Specialty Bicycle Sales By Year, Dollars, 2002-2004

Category 	2002[%] 2003 $ 	2004 $ 	2004 Avg. Price
Mountain 
Full Susp. 	9.67 	8.87 	9.57 	$1,319.97

Road/700C 	16.40 	20.79 	28.32 	$1,152.68

Mountain 
Front Susp. 	26.56 	26.24 	25.61 	$391.31

Hybrid/Cross 	9.89 	12.87 	10.95 	$386.48

Comfort 	18.03 	14.44 	11.70 	$332.23

Freestyle 	5.56 	4.42 	3.78 	$226.36

Mountain 
No Susp. 	3.12 	1.64 	0.41 	$220.21

Youth 24" 	2.51 	2.75 	2.23 	$242.72

Youth 20" 	2.60 	2.41 	2.24 	$171.04
https://nbda.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=34
Old 10-28-05, 10:35 AM
The Rabbi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
You may think you're a semi-serious cycling, but by your price point limit you're just barely at the 1/3 the average cost of a road bike.

Either:
A- face the fact you're not into semi-serious biking yet, or
B- up your purchase budget.
So let me get this straight... if I put hundreds of hours on my $400 P.1, and 1,000's of miles on my $20 singlespeed commuter and my $600 roadbike, I'm not a serious cyclist because my bicycle didn't cost enough? You do realize people have budgets and need to make compromises sometimes, right? Why don't you saddle up Silver and ride on out of here with your elitest attitude.
Old 10-28-05, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Heh, heh... I've gotten plenty of fun and tonnes of training-time on my MTB. Bought for $35 from campus-police auction. Looked like it was dredged from the bottom of the lagoon and it even had a nice big dent in the top-tube.
Old 10-28-05, 12:14 PM
Mmmm...Hardtails

Bikes: '01 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a list of bikes and reviews on them go to www.mtbr.com and go to the product review section.