Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wind Trainers.....how do we all cope???

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wind Trainers.....how do we all cope???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 01:26 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DF's gone to his windtrainer--or begun to consider it at least. What do people do to stay sane while hard-riding in their personal Tours de Garage, Tour de Basement, etc. Maybe TV, cd's, thoughts of AnnMargaret back when we were younger (her, too), the depradations of ex-wives......what keeps you going, spinning, sweating??? [I used to play with the idea that I'd broken away from Death and he was trying to bridge the gap, swinging his sickle on a rusty old Schwinn Varsity.....spin faster David!!!]

More importantly....what kind of regimen, program, training plan do we follow, if any, to maximize those boring hours until spring?
david.

Can't complain....after a few tries on rollers where I almost broke my neck and gouged the drywall--things could be worse.
Old 10-10-05, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
The thought of going into Spring with legs like overcooked spaghetti
keeps me going. I got some Spinervals, gonna try those this year.
But my standard thing is to spin watching old Start Trek shows.

After I posted, I notice you were from Cal. You're twenty degrees warmer,
prob more than that in the winter. Get some tights and a jacket.

Last edited by late; 10-10-05 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-10-05, 02:00 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
More importantly....what kind of regimen, program, training plan do we follow, if any, to maximize those boring hours until spring?
Linda and I have setup a spare bedroom as an exercise room. We have a stationary bike and a bowflex in there. Last winter, we were we wpuld use it 6 days a week and we'd alternate between the two machines. When one person was on the bike, the other would be on the bowflex. We'd push each other to make sure that kept slacking off to a minimum. For entertainment, we put a TV and a stereo in there. BUT - we never miss a chance for an outside ride if it warms up enough and the roads are clear of snow, slush and ice.

I consider myself lucky that I have an exercise partner that just happens to be my wife. We keep each other motivated

Take care,

Steve
Old 10-10-05, 02:43 PM
Stv

Bikes: 05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After three laps around the table saw, I've had enough ! ........ ;>)"

Good question. I just returned a borrowed trainer that I used some in the early spring. I have since purchased a Minoura HyperRimAlu and it is ready to go ............. groan !

https://www.minoura.jp/index-et.html

What I did late last winter to make this bearable was to purchase an MP3 player and load in my favourite tunes. The trainer is in my workshop, so I turn off the lights so only the light from small windows entered, very dimly. For ventilation I turned on a fan from across the room. At this time I have my reliable but very ancient 2x6 speed Miele setup on the trainer, while resting the Roubaix. I guess I just shut-out all external stimulation and go Zen with bike and trainer ...... LOL
Works for me!

Because I do not have a Cycle Computer on the Miele I placed a clock in view and I cycle 5 minutes per gear. That gives me a good warm up, a decent middle workout and a stiff but cooling down period. Works out to 60 minutes which is the equivalent of TWO hours road time as I understand.

However, I am now thinking of purchasing a "book holder" for mounting to the bars and catching up on my reading "Bicycle Maintenance & Repair" by Todd Downs. That means I gotta turn ON the lights and turn OFF the tunes ! .......... groan !

Also, I have been contemplating these DVD fitness cycle programs. Anyone have an opinion and or a DVD title or two that they would recommend ?

Lots of different ways to go. I'm gonna experiment with each anti-boring technique I guess and see which works best for me.

PS: I also picked up a very inexpensive Weider Weight Training Bench-Rig at the local Wal-Mart and cross weight train. I only use very low weights with multiple reps & sets to failure.
Old 10-10-05, 04:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a lifecycle, which I've used so much over 15 or so years that I can't really stand it anymore. So, I'm thinking pretty hard about getting a Lamond RevMaster spin bike. I tried one out this weekend and it really gives you a workout.

Other than that, we have a Total Gym, which is why my wife and I look exactly like Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley.
Old 10-10-05, 05:08 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When there is snow, I cross country ski. Otherwise, if I can't ride, a 3 mile or so walk with the dog is fine.
Old 10-11-05, 08:52 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Try calisthenics, especially lunges. And jump rope a lot. I also combine the above with light weight workouts, walking, cross country skiing and, best of all telemark skiing, but you need to be in the mtns. for the latter. I stay pretty fit throughout the winter, but there is nothing like getting back on the bike on a warm winter day.
Old 10-11-05, 09:07 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithA

Other than that, we have a Total Gym, which is why my wife and I look exactly like Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley.
Woohoo!

So, I take it you recommend the Total Gym. Which model do you have? I had the old 1000 but didn't see much benefit; I sold it on Craigslist for a little more than I paid for it from Craigslist.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-11-05, 09:19 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Okay, the demand is overwhelming.

First, I did my first full session on the Mag trainer this morning. 45 minutes to the Spinerval video "Clydesdales," a good beginning video.

I defy anyone to do the full routine and not be in a good sweat. My heart rate went to 143 - the highest since my ablation. The time goes REALLY fast with the interval training.

And, if you really want a challenge, do one of the more advanced videos. Whew! I use "No Slackers Allowed." Try keeping up with those folks. Lots of intense interval training.

2. Okay, you asked for it. Here are some pics of my setup, including my home gym.

You will see my bike with my HRM, variable tension control for my trainer, remote controls for the VCR, the VCR TV, my regular basement TV (I keep the spinervals low and also watch the regular TV), my water bottle, sweat band, and my fan, etc.
Old 10-11-05, 09:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DF....compared to my drafty garage with clumps of dog hair.....your workoutcrib looks like a cross between Hugh Hefner, NASA control center, and a bit of Donald Trump. I'd gladly winter there.
Old 10-11-05, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
" especially lunges"????

You must have amazing knees. Lunges are not for the middleaged.
There are plenty of ways to exercise the legs without putting that kind of stress on the knees.
Old 10-11-05, 10:36 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by late
" especially lunges"????

You must have amazing knees. Lunges are not for the middleaged.
There are plenty of ways to exercise the legs without putting that kind of stress on the knees.
Agree. No lunges for my knees. Contraindicated for me, at least, and I have no knee problems.
Old 10-11-05, 10:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Woohoo!

So, I take it you recommend the Total Gym. Which model do you have? I had the old 1000 but didn't see much benefit; I sold it on Craigslist for a little more than I paid for it from Craigslist.
It doesn't have a model number that I can see. It's old and was a bit sturdier than the ones I see now, but also cost twice as much. I use it 3-4 times a week and have it at its steepest incline. I do only eight exercises with it at anywhere from 25 to 40 total repetitions.

What I like about it is that it is easy to set up and doesn't take up much space. It will never be a world class weight machine, but I still like it as it keeps those muscles I have pretty firm.
Old 10-11-05, 10:37 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by GrannyGear
DF....compared to my drafty garage with clumps of dog hair.....your workoutcrib looks like a cross between Hugh Hefner, NASA control center, and a bit of Donald Trump. I'd gladly winter there.
I missed out on the Hugh Hefner part. Where were the beautiful babes? Sure your glasses are ok? Perhaps a bit steamy?
Old 10-11-05, 10:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I just looked it up. Both Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley are 50+ers, respectively 65 and 51. They should join our forum.

I personally volunteer to teach Christie the ins and outs of cycling.
Old 10-11-05, 11:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Following such comments as above, hard to imagine our libidos have been shriveled by age or pounded to mush by hard saddles. Keith....you take care of the ins and outs of cycling with Christie, I'll deal with the ups and downs. Cycling is so exhausting, but fulfilling, too. DF, you're chronically married, so there'll be no talk of steaminess.
Old 10-11-05, 12:07 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ctyler
When there is snow, I cross country ski. Otherwise, if I can't ride, a 3 mile or so walk with the dog is fine.

Now if you were a hardened, seasoned Mountain Biker----------

We have just invested in lights for the offroad Tandem, and these are now up to a standard that means we can see where we are going, and not just what we are about to hit. Riding the bike is the best exercise for the bike, so it is our intention to get at least one midweek ride in off road for about 3 to 4 hours. Our rain clothing works, The tandem works, The lights work. All we have to do now is utilise what we have got and see if we work.