Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Touring Track Bikes?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Touring Track Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 06:27 PM
Dismount Run Remount etc.

Bikes: A couple customs and some beaters.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring Track Bikes?

I just got back from a little jaunt down to Cincinnati (I live in Oxford, OH) and through the countryside back to school. All told, I would guess we traveled ~120 miles, got some camping in, and got our asses whupped by the rolling terrain and steep declines/inclines of Cincinnati and the surrounding area. My knees are killing me, my skin's a little hot from all of the sun exposure, and I smell awful, but damn was it fun. Here's my set-up; have any of you done any touring on your track bikes (obviously it's not a true track bike due to the rack braze on)?

Old 10-15-05, 06:41 PM
roll'em high

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
come to columbus next weekend.. blood bowl 2005.. the 22nd.
Old 10-15-05, 06:56 PM
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do a search for Bang Boston.

edit: or visit bangboston.blogspot.com

Last edited by bostontrevor; 10-15-05 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-16-05, 04:26 PM
De-Couriered

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks like an awesome trip. Some of us Bostonians should go in the opposite direction next spring. I can't head that trip up though. Stickyfoot Rob knows how great I am at following through with bike touring plans.

Rob: "So when we going to the cape?"
Me: "Well...my foot kinda hurts...and I think I have something in my eye. Soon though...I mean it..."

I doubt I'd have time for a trip like this during this part of the year...what with classes and all, but that would be a lot of fun next spring.
Old 10-16-05, 04:52 PM
i chew straws

Bikes: scattante road bike, raleigh rush hour, khs flite, schwinn stingray

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
the so called khs track bike has a rack braze on as well. it always threw me off.

did you have any problem riding with the track drops because i usually switch my bars out to bullhorns if i am doing longish rides on my fixed. i like the position better and now with riser bars, i like sitting upright even more. i can't wait until the old man (some old schwinn) fixie is finished.
Old 10-17-05, 05:47 AM
Spawn of Satan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For touring I would put on a road bar with fakey brake hoods (stoker hoods, Chuck's Bike has some). This set up gives you many extra hand positions to move around. I find it more comfortable to change hand positions often on long rides

Get a flip/flop hub. Use your favorite gear on one side then either go two cogs bigger or smaller depending on where you ride.

I really like Speedplay pedals. On some hilly terrrain you can be spinning up to 180 rpm's. For happy knees lot's of float is important.