Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Advice wanted--entry level mt. bike

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-15-05, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm trying to decide which mt bike to get. I wan to stay at or under 1000. I like the Raleighs I've looked at. But I just some comps between raleigh and specialized that made me think specialized would be better. I don't like trek much. Any advice? suggestions?

Gratefully yours, Wrythren
Old 10-15-05, 09:24 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
You can get a very nice, better than entry level bike at $1000. If you're just looking for a good entry level bike, something to ride and gain experience while finding out what type of riding you most enjoy or are best at, check out the Giant Iguana. Try to test ride as many brands as you can, to see which feels like it has the best fit for you (most shops will let you swap out stems and help get the adjustments right for you). If you are going to have the LBS do repairs and maintenance, check out their reputation. Nothing worse than needing service and finding out the LBS doesn't have decent mechanics! (one more reason to learn to do your own!)
Old 10-15-05, 10:18 PM
Rider

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you live in us, sooo... under 1000... 05 Specialized p.2.... That bike will last you so long. and once your dont they sell good too... And just dont base you choice on your local shop(s). Another one may be a Kona Scrap, or Norco 125 (not sure how much in americanie dollars)
Old 10-16-05, 01:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're into dirt jumping and such, throw in another $100 and get a Rocky Mountain Flow FS.
Old 10-16-05, 06:13 AM
enjoy the ride

Bikes: The Ship of Theseus - the only bicycle that I own or have ever owned. It is a bike that I built, with a constantly shifting constellation of parts & frames.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the better Rockhopper models (like a comp disc). They have a decent component set, a kick-ass frame, and an excellent feel. I also like Giant Rainier's quite a bit (even though I ride an '05 Rockhopper Comp). They both are spec'd pretty nice.

Of course, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to trail ride, get a Rockhopper (they are an excellent learning HT). If you want to dirt jump or huck, get a p2.

One other thing to note: if the store you are ordering from doesn't have the particular model you want and have to order it in, they will generally give you a discount on the bike (since you can't back out of the sale if they order it for you). You could try riding a base Rockhopper and if you like the feel of the bike, have them order in a Comp disc for you. Good luck.
Old 10-16-05, 09:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Someone in one of the reviews I read of Raleigh dual suspension bikes said one shouldn't get one because dual suspension is not good in that price range. Is that true? Should I stick to ones to begin with that just have the front shocks?

At what point or price do dual suspension get good? Are there any that people recognize pretty unanimously that are really good just over 1000? Say up to 1500?

One last thing: I'm fourteen; I want to get a bike that's a little big for me, say a 20 or a 22; so that I can grow into it and keep it for many years. Right now, I ride my dad's 22.5 Trek. Is that a good idea or should I stick with a bike size more appropriate for my height. That would be an 18.

I'm new to all this, as you can see.

Thanks again, Wrythren
Old 10-16-05, 09:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I didn't see all these messages when I wrote my first reply--only the first message.

Thanks a lot for taking the time. Appreciate it much.

You dudes rule.

W.
Old 10-16-05, 12:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want a somewhat cheaper hardtail, I'll second the Giant Iguana suggestion. Find a shop that's clearing out last year's models to make space for '06 stuff, and you should be able to get it for around $500. Essentially, same price as a base '06 Rockhopper, but equipped like a Comp Disc.