Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Buy a cheap road bike ($10.99!) to stay conditioned for MTB?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-05, 10:00 AM

Bikes: 2006 K2 Apache 6.0, 2006(ish) Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,
I usually MTB, but now am on a 9-5 schedule so no more riding during the week.

I saw an old cro-mo Murray 10-speed at a Goodwill store yesterday for $10.99. It needs probably $50 in cables, tires, etc, but the truing, frame and components look good. I'm pretty broke, and just want a road bike for exercise during the week.

Do I scrape up $400 for an entry level road bike from pricepoint.com (or a LBS), struggle to find a decent used one locally, or buy the Murray?

Thanks!
Scott

(this is cross-posted to the roadie forum for a different perspective!)
Old 10-16-05, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A fellow Richmonder!

I'd say check out the Mid-VA trading post. You can find 'em at Ukrops or some convience stores. The other week I spotted a nice Specialized road bike for cheap. $285... Shimano Ultrega components. You might get lucky and spot a similar deal (or for even cheaper).

I'd say stick away from that Murray though, but that's just me. I'll never buy an entry level bike knowing that I'll upgrade everything soon enough.

Even if you're on the 9-5 work week, why not hop by the trails for a quick 1-2 hour ride on the way back? That'd work great if you were near some nice trails in the area... Buttermilk/Forest Hill, Pocahontas, or even Powhite.
Old 10-16-05, 10:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks GW-
Unfortunately, I forgot to change my profile- I'm now living in Birmingham, AL!

I used to do just what you suggested, and lived in the Fan so downtown was close.
The prime spot down here is about as far as Ashland, so by the time I get home and to the park, it's dusk.

I've been looking for a used road bike in that range, but unfortuately, haven't had any luck, and don't really know enough about road bikes to make a wise decision, anyway!

I'm still uncertain what to do, but at least it's a beautiful day and am going for a MTB ride later!
Old 10-16-05, 11:56 AM
wheelin in the years

Bikes: Some Schwinns, a Gary Fisher, some vintage lt wts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know about Alabama but I do know that Murry made pretty low quality stuff. The guys over in Classic & Vintage talk about some custom HUFFY & MURRYS made for racing by other manufactures that were really good but they were only issued to sponserd teams.
As to used road bikes I would sugest going to a LBS that takes in trades. If I was not up to my (wife imposed)limit on bicycles for personal use, I would buy a late '80s Schwinn @ a LBS here. They are asking $60 and it is all CROMO and comes with a tune up and 1 year warranty.
The Classic & Vintage forum is a wealth of information regarding what is desirable in older road bikes.
Old 10-16-05, 12:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks ebr! I'll take a look