Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

* * * Extreme Advocacy * * *

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 03:45 PM
Βanned.

Bikes: 1976 Dawes Galaxy, 1993 Trek 950 Single Track and Made-to-Measure Reynolds 753 road bike with Campag throughout.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Putting my money where my mouth is. I feel that the best way to advocate for more cycling and more cyclists is to actively encourage others to overcome their fears and apathy. To this end, on Friday this week (I work 4 10’s) I will be scouting out a route (by bike) for a colleague who thinks a particular road is too dangerous. And I will be hooking up later in the afternoon with another colleague that has arranged to borrow a hybrid for a short ride in Portland - NW 20th and Flanders to Waterfront, over the steel bridge and along the Willamette River, past OMSI and along the Spring Water Corridor to the Selwood Bridge and back. Approximately 6 miles round trip, mostly dead flat and almost all off road.

Wait, there is more. Next year we are proposing to assist (a select few) out-of-state people that would like to experience the great NW or relocate to Portland. My wife and I are offering free accommodation and pick up / drop off at the airport, if flying. Don’t get too excited yet, there are a lot of restrictions. No more than two people at a time (sharing room). Must be non-smokers. No clashes with our own holiday, entertaining etc. And of course you must be bringing (or renting) bicycles. This is intended to be as much a social thing as it is an advocacy thing i.e. we are looking to meet new people who (if circumstances permit) should be prepared to reciprocate.

Any thoughts?

PS. I don’t get a whole lot of time to spend on-line so it may be Monday before any replies are replied to.
Houston.
Old 10-19-05, 04:40 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
What's for dinner?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-19-05, 06:18 PM
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice idea I may be up for it next year my self infact. Would be a great change of pace and scenery. Now i do smoke but only when not riding. And who knows I may not be smoekign by soem time early next season. Corse could always hop on my bike and go down the street to light up. Corse if i pulled more than 4 or 5 miles id not want one any hwo hehe.

I think the whole idea is great corse youll want to be carful. You never know who may show up. So becarefull when you do end up doing this.