Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need to decide fast What Bike To Buy On Sale

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-23-05, 09:03 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts

I am trying to decide which sale bike to buy, it's time to move from my old chro-moly converted front suspension bike to a newer unit. I've narrowed the choice to three, a Trek 6500, a Specialized Rockhopper and an Iron Horse Warrior Trail full suspension. All are on sale at an LBS with a price difference between the lowest price Rockhopper to the highest price Ironhorse of $180. The Trek is $50 more than the Specialized Rockhopper and both are used, rental 2005 models with full warranties. The Ironhorse is a new, not used, 2005. I have to decide quickly between these three since the Trek and Specialized bikes will probably be sold within two or three days.
I'm over 50, and my riding style is not as aggressive as my son's, but I still ride on trails that range from level paths to those rated as Intermediate, with plenty of roots and a few logs, dips and climbs.
I've taken the Trek and the Specialized on a test ride with my son. We both agree, the Specialized felt more comfortable than the Trek mostly due to the handlebar and stem arrangement. The advantage of the Trek is the hubs are disc ready.
I have not ridden the Ironhorse, but find the oportunity to own a full suspension bike intriguing. But I'm not sure about this particular full suspension unit. If anyone has any advice about these three selections, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-05, 09:10 PM

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
I am trying to decide which sale bike to buy, it's time to move from my old chro-moly converted front suspension bike to a newer unit. I've narrowed the choice to three, a Trek 6500, a Specialized Rockhopper and an Iron Horse Warrior Trail full suspension. All are on sale at an LBS with a price difference between the lowest price Rockhopper to the highest price Ironhorse of $180. The Trek is $50 more than the Specialized Rockhopper and both are used, rental 2005 models with full warranties. The Ironhorse is a new, not used, 2005. I have to decide quickly between these three since the Trek and Specialized bikes will probably be sold within two or three days.
I'm over 50, and my riding style is not as aggressive as my son's, but I still ride on trails that range from level paths to those rated as Intermediate, with plenty of roots and a few logs, dips and climbs.
I've taken the Trek and the Specialized on a test ride with my son. We both agree, the Specialized felt more comfortable than the Trek mostly due to the handlebar and stem arrangement. The advantage of the Trek is the hubs are disc ready.
I have not ridden the Ironhorse, but find the oportunity to own a full suspension bike intriguing. But I'm not sure about this particular full suspension unit. If anyone has any advice about these three selections, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Stay away from rentals because most of them have been ridden hard. So in your case, the only new bike is the Iron Horse, and I don't know anything about its compoents, so, more info would be nice.

Ming
Old 10-23-05, 09:11 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Choose which ever one feels the best to you.
Old 10-23-05, 09:54 PM
djentleman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
hey kona you changed a lot of stuff lol.
Old 10-23-05, 10:02 PM

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Kona, Warning was better.

Rocco - What were the rental bikes used for? And what kind of warranty does the shop offer on them? They may not be bad, but I'd be inclined to avoid them. The Iron Horse line looks pretty good. My advice? If you've got the fitness to haul the extra weight of a full suspension bike, get the Iron Horse. You're over 50, you deserve to be able to spend a little extra on yourself.
Old 10-23-05, 10:33 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Expatriate
Kona, Warning was better.

Rocco - What were the rental bikes used for? And what kind of warranty does the shop offer on them? They may not be bad, but I'd be inclined to avoid them. The Iron Horse line looks pretty good. My advice? If you've got the fitness to haul the extra weight of a full suspension bike, get the Iron Horse. You're over 50, you deserve to be able to spend a little extra on yourself.
I prefer Operation Mind Crime, I just like the graphics off of the greatest hits cd and the song empire is probably a favorite of their songs.
Old 10-24-05, 09:47 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, think that whatever bike you buy. Your going to get used to it in a month, and what seemed comfortable at first ride wont matter. Once your used to your bike it feels comfortable to you. I would go with the bike with best components. Meh, I know the 6500 has pretty good lineup of components, because I bought that one too.
Old 10-24-05, 08:21 PM
Bike Junkie

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. I reviewed every comment and they were very helpful. I purchased the RockHopper. Please let me explain how your comments helped me make this decision. NoF3ar made a comment about the excellent components on the Trek 6500, but the ex-rental bike I tried out did not have the Deore XT rear and Deore front deraileurs as stated on the Trek web site and I think the fork may have been a downgraded unit. I decided to stay away from this bike.
I considered the Ironhorse Warrior DS, but Expatriate's comment about weight caused me to ask, how much the Warrior DS weighs. A LOB weighed a floor unit at over 36 lbs. My upper body strength is not what it used to be and I'm trying to reduce my bike weight to allow me to maneuver better. I decided to pass on the Warrior.
I chose the Rockhopper, the bike that felt the most comfortable, as per Konarider24's comment. I also considered Sparks 219 comment about component abuse. I asked the LOB to check the chain for stretch. The LOB did and sure enough, it was just outside of spec. The LOB provided new replacement SRAM chain and Shimano cassette. Additionally, I received a full, Specialized new bike warranty and deraileur tune-ups from the LOB for as long as I own the bike. I guess I could have done better, but after looking for 3 months on ebay and constantly being out-bid, I decided to buy a one year old bike I could see and ride before buying for 30% off MSRP with full new warranty.
Thanks again to everyone who responded.
Old 10-24-05, 08:31 PM

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. I reviewed every comment and they were very helpful. I purchased the RockHopper. Please let me explain how your comments helped me make this decision. NoF3ar made a comment about the excellent components on the Trek 6500, but the ex-rental bike I tried out did not have the Deore XT rear and Deore front deraileurs as stated on the Trek web site and I think the fork may have been a downgraded unit. I decided to stay away from this bike.
I considered the Ironhorse Warrior DS, but Expatriate's comment about weight caused me to ask, how much the Warrior DS weighs. A LOB weighed a floor unit at over 36 lbs. My upper body strength is not what it used to be and I'm trying to reduce my bike weight to allow me to maneuver better. I decided to pass on the Warrior.
I chose the Rockhopper, the bike that felt the most comfortable, as per Konarider24's comment. I also considered Sparks 219 comment about component abuse. I asked the LOB to check the chain for stretch. The LOB did and sure enough, it was just outside of spec. The LOB provided new replacement SRAM chain and Shimano cassette. Additionally, I received a full, Specialized new bike warranty and deraileur tune-ups from the LOB for as long as I own the bike. I guess I could have done better, but after looking for 3 months on ebay and constantly being out-bid, I decided to buy a one year old bike I could see and ride before buying for 30% off MSRP with full new warranty.
Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Well, congrats on the purchase, and you made the best out of the situation. Now enjoy your ride and try to have fun out there!
Old 10-24-05, 08:36 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest with you, If I had a place around where I live that sold specialized I would have gone with a rockhopper too. But all they carry at performance and other lbs' are giant, trek, iron horse. =/
Old 10-24-05, 09:23 PM
Bike Junkie

Originally Posted by NoF3ar
To be honest with you, If I had a place around where I live that sold specialized I would have gone with a rockhopper too. But all they carry at performance and other lbs' are giant, trek, iron horse. =/
Actually, my choice was the rental Trek 6500. But your comment made me stop and think about the components on this bike and realize, they were not the components advertised by Trek. I don't think those downgrades would have seriously affected the bikes performance, but it just turned me off.
When your looking at a new bike, it's hard to see the flaws through the stars in your eyes. That's why I posted here. The responses caused me to focus.
Old 10-25-05, 05:16 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, my choice was the rental Trek 6500. But your comment made me stop and think about the components on this bike and realize, they were not the components advertised by Trek. I don't think those downgrades would have seriously affected the bikes performance, but it just turned me off.
When your looking at a new bike, it's hard to see the flaws through the stars in your eyes. That's why I posted here. The responses caused me to focus.
Well when you rented the 6500 was it an 06? It might not have been an 06 6500. I would think if you had your lbs order a 6500 it would come with the advertised components.
Old 10-25-05, 05:23 PM
THIS BIKE'S 4 U !!!!

Bikes: HARO Xtreme X2, K2 Lithium 3.0, K2 Beast, K2 Flyin' Monkey, DiamondBack Accent EX, DiamondBack Axis TR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would buy the Haro, oops that wasn't one of your choices, huh?