Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

My New Downtube Commuter

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

My New Downtube Commuter

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-05, 11:14 PM

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My New Downtube Commuter

Here are a few pics of my new-ish Downtube VIII commuter.

I bought the bike for a couple reasons:
1) space between the wheel and rack for a battery for my homegrown lighting system;
2) foldability for the occasions when I leave town on a bus and need to get somewhere from the bus stop;
3) I read pretty positive reviews on this forum;
4) needed an inexpensive commuter to replace my $80 Jamis Mt. Bike (craigslist purchase) that was better, but not so dear that when (if?) it's stolen I cry.

Turns out my $16 20w halogen headlight screwed right into the front fork bridge. I've got the xenon flasher on the child seat for greater visibility, though I don't ride at night with the baby - just mornings getting her to daycare.

the only mod so far is the stem - I sliced an inch of the stock stem to leave in the post, removed the clamp (I needed to file off the welded bits) and screwed on a 1 1/8" threadless stem which fit perfect. I still want to change out the crappy SunRace twist shifter, but that will have to wait since it works reasonably well.

Prices:
Downtube VIII - EBay - $244 including shipping.
Battery - 6Ah 12v battery with fuse wiring harness and protective case $27 including shipping.
Lamp casing and 20w mra6 lamp - $22
saddle and stem - leftover parts.

My general impression of this bike is very positive. It actually seems to have a stiffer front end than my dahon speed8, but with a weight penalty. Overall, i think the al frame is superior to the Dahon's, but the folding machanisms are dorky and inelegant and it is equipped with pretty bottom-tier components. Probably a bike worth buying just for the frame. I am psyched.

I am considering building a wheel on a shimano 8spd internal hub to make this the ultimate winter commuter. but then I begin to fear damage/theft, etc.
Old 10-26-05, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks

I am considering building a wheel on a shimano 8spd internal hub to make this the ultimate winter commuter. but then I begin to fear damage/theft, etc.
Cool!!...that is exactly what I envision building this weekend on my Downtube FS model as I'm planning to use it more on trails and worsening weather and want to lose the derailleur.

Bruce
Old 10-26-05, 09:10 PM

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
Cool!!...that is exactly what I envision building this weekend on my Downtube FS model as I'm planning to use it more on trails and worsening weather and want to lose the derailleur.

Bruce
I think I will wait til I see one on EBay or Craigslist. at $200 for the hub, 25 for the shifter and more to have a wheel built on it, I am disinclined at the moment. just saw a $10 Sach Spectro 3-spd for about $20 i almost bit on.
Old 02-15-06, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Mr_Super_Socks]Here are a few pics of my new-ish Downtube VIII commuter.

the only mod so far is the stem - I sliced an inch of the stock stem to leave in the post, removed the clamp (I needed to file off the welded bits) and screwed on a 1 1/8" threadless stem which fit perfect. I still want to change out the crappy SunRace twist shifter, but that will have to wait since it works reasonably well.

I am trying to picture how you did the stem modification. If I buy an adjustable stem, the kind that would clamp onto the top of a tube that would still make use of the quick disconnect, how would you recommend I proceed. It sounds like you replaced the vertical stem post altogether, using a quill stem. I would
prefer to keep the adjustment and folding ability of the bike.

Any chance for a picture?
Thanks,
Hbob
Old 02-15-06, 04:04 PM
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks
Here are a few pics of my new-ish Downtube VIII commuter.
Where?