Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Which MTB to buy?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Which MTB to buy?

Old 09-22-02, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which MTB to buy?

I found two MTB's #1 is a Schwinn Paramount for $165.00,#2 is a Gary Fisher cant remember which model for $150.00. There is Shimano Deore LX Components on both if I remember right. Both just Seem to need tires. And maybe a seat for the Fisher. They both fit me. So which one is the better value. from what I have read here in the forums Gary fisher is a great brand. But I have also read very good things about The paramount. So sound off let me know what you think. thanx.

King Ajo
Old 09-23-02, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are these new or used? If used, you realize that there are no warranties to 2nd user, only original purchasers. With that said, they're both decent bikes for the money. Which one is the most comfortable to ride? Buy that one!

Just so you know, Schwinn is now owned by Pacific Cycles and is beginning to sell them at mass merchant type stores (i.e. Costco, Wal-Mart...etc.) The quality of the new ones is very low, and along with this drop in quality, the reputation soon follows. Gary Fisher is owned by Trek, and barring any catastrophic business endeavor, should be around for awhile. I'd stick with the better name brand recognition (current and future) and choose the Gary Fisher.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 09-23-02, 10:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah the Gary Fisher is the one that I was leaning towards. And yes I have seen Schwinn's being sold at Wally World. But I did not know that Trek owned Gary fisher. Thanx for the info.

King Ajo
Old 09-24-02, 06:15 AM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, Specialized Stump Jumper, Soon to be Litespeed Solano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you are looking at Wally World these must be used. Schwinn hasn't made a Paramount MTB bike for quite some time. The only two MTB they sell in bike shops now are the MOAB and the MESA.
Old 09-24-02, 07:52 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duh, I knew that! It must've been a brain dead Monday thing going on.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 09-26-02, 08:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I didnt mention that they were used beause I figured that the Prices would give that away. Anyway thanx for the info.
Old 09-26-02, 08:07 PM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If both bikes fit properly and you like the components then figure which one will need more work and get the other. If they are about even then go by which one is more appealing to you and if that does not work, flip a coin.

Slainte
Old 09-26-02, 10:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by a2psyklnut
Just so you know, Schwinn is now owned by Pacific Cycles and is beginning to sell them at mass merchant type stores (i.e. Costco, Wal-Mart...etc.) The quality of the new ones is very low, and along with this drop in quality, the reputation soon follows.

L8R
On this note does anyone know if Pacific is going to cover Schwinn's warranties and if so needed, replace parts or bikes with comparable parts. Or are they going to replace it with the crap that they try to pass off as Schwinns. I bought a Schwinn Mesa GSX right before they went under, I haven't had any big problems with the bike, but I was just wondering what would happen if it did. My lbs has done some work for me, but that was covered by their one year free adjustment policy which has just expired I think.
Old 09-27-02, 04:18 AM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, Specialized Stump Jumper, Soon to be Litespeed Solano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you bought it from a good lbs it will be covered. I wouldn't worry about it though, because you shouldn't have any problems.