Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Strength Of 28 Hole Front Mtn Wheel?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-31-05, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm planning on having a front wheel built up for the mountain bike (rigid fork). I weigh about 195# and the rear wheel is 32 spokes. I won't be hucking or launching over anything but it will see some offroad use. Will this wheel (it will be built by a competent wheelsmith) buckle under my fata$$?
The rim is Mavic 117 CD, hub Phil Wood 28 hole, spokes DT Competition DB 14/15, 3X lacing.
'84 Trek 850--spinbackle-built, '85 Trek 670 Campy Nuovo Record--project, '87 Trek 560 SS/Fixed--project, '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp w/ Deore XT--Specialized-built, '87 Rossin Record, '03 LeMond Wayzata--commuter,
'?? TST Mtn Bike frame--project, '07 Tsunami Tandem--home-built
Old 10-31-05, 03:16 PM
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I run a 24-spoke front wheel, radial laced, deep aero rim, suspended fork, weigh more than you, and have no issues.

Old 10-31-05, 03:56 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=monogodo]I run a 24-spoke front wheel, radial laced, deep aero rim, suspended fork, weigh more than you, and have no issues.

You also have a shock up front, not to mention one in the rear also. My ride is a full rigid, or a mountain bike as they used to be called. I'm a little leery that a 28-spoked wheel may have some problems under my muscled (table muscle ) body. Seems like you're doing okay with a 24 radially-spoked up front though. Thanks for answering.
'84 Trek 850--spinbackle-built, '85 Trek 670 Campy Nuovo Record--project, '87 Trek 560 SS/Fixed--project, '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp w/ Deore XT--Specialized-built, '87 Rossin Record, '03 LeMond Wayzata--commuter,
Old 10-31-05, 04:32 PM
53 miles per burrito

Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It should be ok, but may I ask, if you are having a wheel built, why not go ahead and make it a 32 spoke wheel instead?
Old 10-31-05, 06:00 PM
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by spinbackle
Originally Posted by monogodo
I run a 24-spoke front wheel, radial laced, deep aero rim, suspended fork, weigh more than you, and have no issues.
You also have a shock up front, not to mention one in the rear also. My ride is a full rigid, or a mountain bike as they used to be called. I'm a little leery that a 28-spoked wheel may have some problems under my muscled (table muscle ) body. Seems like you're doing okay with a 24 radially-spoked up front though. Thanks for answering.
I used the same set of wheels on my un-suspended, fully rigid 1990 Bianchi Grizzly with no problems. I take that back, I had one problem: I hit a root that was diagonally across the trail, and it taco'd the original (Bontrager box-section) rim. Rebuilt with the deep aero rims and no problems since. That root would have f'd up any wheel that hit it the way I did.
Old 11-01-05, 08:01 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by urban_assault
It should be ok, but may I ask, if you are having a wheel built, why not go ahead and make it a 32 spoke wheel instead?
I'm getting a really sweet deal on a 28 hole hub and rim .
Old 11-01-05, 08:16 AM
53 miles per burrito

Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's what I thought. Good Luck.
Old 11-01-05, 08:45 AM
The Rabbi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would never trade reliability for a sweet deal, myself. I'm 150lbs and won't run anything less than a 32h. I did have a 28h wheelset for a short time but got rid of them pretty quickly since they steered like a wet noodle, to the point where into a hard turn I could hear the rim scrape my brake pads.
Old 11-01-05, 11:13 AM
bum bike

Bikes: '85 Woodrup Giro-Touring, 87 Centurion LeMans RS (2), 78 Centurion LeMans, 77 Centurion Super LeMans, 2001 Jamis Quest, 1970 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seely
I would never trade reliability for a sweet deal, myself. I'm 150lbs and won't run anything less than a 32h. I did have a 28h wheelset for a short time but got rid of them pretty quickly since they steered like a wet noodle, to the point where into a hard turn I could hear the rim scrape my brake pads.
Was that with a rigid fork or front suspension? I rarely experience brake rub on my rigid forks and always on suspended ones set up for XC. And I'm chubby.
Old 11-01-05, 02:31 PM
Ouch!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chajmahal
I rarely experience brake rub on my rigid forks and always on suspended ones set up for XC.
Right. Chances are it's his fork/frame that is flexing - not the rim.
Old 11-01-05, 02:43 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
A good deal on a Phil Wood 28h hub? you're luckier than I. Got a killer deal on that same rim, but had to search high and low to find a pair of hubs (front and rear) with 28h that weren't $90+ each. Haven't built my wheels yet, but my plans are much the same as you for them. light single track / XC and some road/trail use. Of course I'm a few pounds lighter than you so I can't say anything about the possiblity of weight issues.
Old 11-01-05, 06:36 PM
The Rabbi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chajmahal
Was that with a rigid fork or front suspension? I rarely experience brake rub on my rigid forks and always on suspended ones set up for XC. And I'm chubby.
Rigid and suspended... w/ an overised Stout axle too I may add, on a Fox fork and a Surly 1x1 fork. Not much stiffer of a setup available either way.
Old 11-01-05, 06:49 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well I lost the auction for the Phil 28 hole hub (I think I reconsidered actually) after reading several accounts of tacoed front wheels. Good thing anyway, the hub was not one of the newer FSA ones, rather an older, but NOS one. The ending price was somewhere in the neighborhood of $70. I'll settle for a brand new FSA front hub 32 holes for $85 at Lickton's. Gonna forego the 28 hole rim too and just stick with a Mavic F519 (I have several other wheels built with this outstanding rim) in a 32 hole. Thanks to all who contributed. I do have a bada$$ rear wheel to match with an FSA 32 hole w/a NOS 600 EX freewheel and F519 rim. My old skool Stumpjumper is gonna be stoked.
Old 11-02-05, 11:32 AM
The Rabbi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The 519 is an awesome choice for someone who wants strenght + durability without it being stupid-heavy. Last I heard they didn't still make them though? I haven't seen a new one for years unfortunately.
Old 11-02-05, 08:55 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=17314
Old 11-03-05, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seely
The 519 is an awesome choice for someone who wants strenght + durability without it being stupid-heavy. Last I heard they didn't still make them though? I haven't seen a new one for years unfortunately.
They don't make that rim any more, Seely's right. I've just bought some 36h Mavic 717s though and if you read the reviews of them on any site you'd care to shake a stick at they are all glowing. I think they replaced the 519s anyway, didn't they? I got them for 25 quid each. What's that, like $40-50?