Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 09:27 PM
UberClydesdale

Bikes: Klein,Panasonic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so I think I am going to upgrade to a new bike with a carbon frame (Pedal Force) and I am thinking of selling my 1984 Schwinn Peloton to a guy at a local bike shop. What do you guys think I should ask for her, Columbus tubing, Sun Tour Superbe Pro, paint in very good shape? This is the red bike in the photos of the first post when I started this thread if you want to see it.
Old 03-02-06, 02:53 AM
UBIQUE

Bikes: Avanti Giro, Avanti Barracuda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from NZ!
6ft1, 102kgs, down from 122. Ruined my knees playing rugby union and started cycling to wk for something to keep myself active. Needed to be competitive so started training for a few events last year culminating with the around Lake Taupo ride nov last year (160k) managed a 4.35 and was pretty pleased with that. Hoping to break 4.30 this year as well as do a half Iron in dec.
Ride a Avanti Giro 05, shimano R500 wheels, Have had the rear wheel rebuilt twice now since i purchased it(under guarantee) as I kept poppong spokes climbing hills or accelerating hard.
Probably never gonna get below 92kg but thats the goal for this year just to make it easier to run.
Have converted a dozen friends and wk mates to cyclist due to my results.

Go the Big Men!
Old 03-02-06, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=PartyPat]Greetings from NZ!

Welcome Partypat. I'm a newbie myself (and mostly a lurker). I spent 3 weeks in NZ last year. One of those weeks was fly fishing near lake taupo. Great fishing and just the best people you ever hope to meet.

As for me I hope to decide on my new bike after this weekend to work on my 5' 9", 228 pounds back to my running / soccer weight of 180.
Old 03-02-06, 12:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike update. Was finally able to pick up my new Giant OCR3 last week. Put almost 40 miles on it now and it seems very stable and stout under my 245 lb body. Last time I was into riding (20 years ago now) I was 170 and could ride as long as I wanted wherever I wanted (I was in my late teens). I tried to climb a hill that would have looked like a speedbump to me then and ended up walking up the last half. Ugh. I'd still hop on and pedal like mad anytime a car came by, though. I see people complaining about laboring up hills with an extra 5 or 10 pounds! My extra 80 is really going to be a struggle.
Is it safe to say that a heavy guy will always struggle with numbness/pain issues from all the extra weight pushing down on his "contact points" on a bike? At least until the weight comes off? Or do even the heavy guys get used to it?
Old 03-02-06, 03:41 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingbrad
The bike update. Was finally able to pick up my new Giant OCR3 last week. Put almost 40 miles on it now and it seems very stable and stout under my 245 lb body.
You picked a great bike - I have the OCR Limited..... I went in to buy the OCR 3 but they made me a killer deal on their last Limited, so......

I'm not too far off from you - 230lbs. If you're just getting back into riding (like I was a little over a year ago), just keep chipping away. When I started riding in earnest, a 10 mile out-and-back was a suffer-fest. Then I did 20's, then 25's. One weekend last February, I went to meet an old friend that has been a long time enthusiast, and cracked off 55 miles that Saturday and another 35 the next day.

That gave me the confidence to enter a century ride (the flattest one I could find), and by the end of the year I had completed 9. I did my first one of the year 2 weeks ago, and am planning on 1 a month this year.

You picked a great bike to get you going. Here's a pic of me and mine:

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-02-06, 04:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the inspiration. I can't even comprehend a century ride right now... unless it was all downhill. My secret goal is to complete a century before the end of this year, though. Thank you for helping me feel like that can be a reality.
Old 03-02-06, 05:21 PM

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motophoto
Ok, so I think I am going to upgrade to a new bike with a carbon frame (Pedal Force) and I am thinking of selling my 1984 Schwinn Peloton to a guy at a local bike shop. What do you guys think I should ask for her, Columbus tubing, Sun Tour Superbe Pro, paint in very good shape? This is the red bike in the photos of the first post when I started this thread if you want to see it.
Put the bike up on Ebay and let us all bid on it. There is nothing like determining a bikes value like multiple bidders!
Old 03-02-06, 05:41 PM

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RweHvnFunYet
Hello All... I gotta say I feel better about being big on a bike... I used to think people must think I am nuts! 6'3" 275 down from 320 and still dropping

So I have been pushing a cushy Trek 7100 hybrid around for a year and am thinking about stepping up game. I still like the Trek line (and the dealer I can walk to) I am thinking about Trek 1500 but don’t think the sexy Bontrager Select Wheels will support the load... I can afford Zip's or other Clydesdale designed wheels, does anyone have a recommendation preferable in Bontrager line to simplify dealer negotiations.

Or any perspectives on another Trek frame that might be a better choice, I understand the Giant Line has gotten some pretty good reviews, but haven’t found a dealer that is close to home.
The trek looks like a great bike. It is amazing how much technology has trickled down over the past decade.
As far as wheels are concerned, ask your trek dealer if the Bontager select wheels will hold up to a rider your size. Trek spec's the same wheels on their Portland(commuter) and their cyclocross bike, so they may be the perfect wheelset for you.
Old 03-02-06, 06:45 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingbrad
Wow! Thanks for the inspiration. I can't even comprehend a century ride right now... unless it was all downhill. My secret goal is to complete a century before the end of this year, though. Thank you for helping me feel like that can be a reality.
No problem. Just start riding frequent short trips, and you'll get your body used to it faster than you think. One sunny day you'll go out for a short loop and cover 20-30 miles cuz you're feeling good and the weather's nice, and it'll seem like you've only been out for 10 minutes.

When that happens, you've got it made, my friend......

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-03-06, 03:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess I found my home here as a Clydesdale, also a newbie to these forums. I have been lurking, reading/learing the new technologies before I spoke.

I used to ride a Raleigh 440 technium back in the 90's. Just recently got motivated to get back into riding so I picked up a 06 Raleigh Supercourse as my recovery ride. I went out for my first ride today, did 7.88 miles, "around the block". Avg speed according to computer was 13.2. Immensely slower than I used to be. But I ran into a few friendly roadies that said hi as they passed me. Feels natural being back on the saddle again though.

Just feels bad being ~93lbs heavier than I used to be. Currently I weighed in at 303.5 @ 6',1" today after my ride. Hope to be in below 300 in the next few weeks.
Old 03-03-06, 10:12 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'1 and stepped on the scale at work today and it was at 263, end of season last year I was at 226. Have some work to do it get back in shape. Starting my training program Monday have a 400 mile ride coming up in three months.
Old 03-04-06, 06:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its been a month since my gall bladder got yanked out. Today is the first that my surgeon said I can get back on a spinner. 7:30AM, I'll be there. This has put my Spring training way off schedule.
Old 03-04-06, 09:45 PM

Bikes: Borrowed Specialized Secteur

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hi All:

First post here, just found this forum tonight and it really spoke to me.

Looks like I too have found a new home here with the Clydesdales. I'm currently 269, down from 274.... a week and a half ago. I have a back ground in weight lifting and... well, eating. It's really cold here in Boston so I'm training inside on a lifecycle to get ready for spring.

I love cycling and am into the charity rides. Have ridden in 5 Boston to New York rides, the Pan Mass challenge and am riding in the MS Ride this June. My biggest claim to fame is I rode up Alpe d'Huez two years ago... in only 2:25... yes that was hours. I currently ride a Cannondale T700 with Mavic Classic Elite wheels.

This year is my year to drop some pounds so I can ride this years' centuries a little easier. As a reward for losing weight... I am going to get a new bike. I'm looking at the Giant OCR1 with some upgrades to the components, but looking at this thread has given me some more ideas.

Hope to visit and contribute often.

Peace.
Eric
Old 03-04-06, 10:27 PM
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
2 more pounds and Im outta the clydesdales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 03-05-06, 01:47 PM

Bikes: 2005 caad4 cannondale r600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi guys just signed up a few days ago i guess i "fit in" here..i started out at 331 on dec. 17 2005 i joined the fitness center at my local hospital as of this morning i was 267 i would like to get down to 175- 180 im just at 6' tall ive been riding for about 1 week today was my 4th day out on the road with my bike im going about 7 to 7.7 mile should i be going more? at this pace how long til i wil be going like 40 miles at a time? the first 60 lbs went fairly easy the last few lbs have been really really hard i guess its been from riding then getting home and being hungry and eating alittle more than i should....but i guess this is my new home tilo i get under 200lbs .................SO HELLO
Old 03-05-06, 08:18 PM
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rede2cycle
hi guys just signed up a few days ago i guess i "fit in" here..i started out at 331 on dec. 17 2005 i joined the fitness center at my local hospital as of this morning i was 267 i would like to get down to 175- 180 im just at 6' tall ive been riding for about 1 week today was my 4th day out on the road with my bike im going about 7 to 7.7 mile should i be going more? at this pace how long til i wil be going like 40 miles at a time? the first 60 lbs went fairly easy the last few lbs have been really really hard i guess its been from riding then getting home and being hungry and eating alittle more than i should....but i guess this is my new home tilo i get under 200lbs .................SO HELLO
Welcome to the bike forums, a wealth of info on anything in here. Im 27 miles up 52 from ya in Mount airy.

Cya around

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 03-05-06, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This thread made me realize it'd be really cool to have 4-5 Clydesdales near me that I could ride regularly with.
Old 03-06-06, 07:01 AM

Bikes: Trek 4300 converted into SS, Mongoose Cannan Elite, GT Pro Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rede2cycle
Welcome!!!
You have another neighbor over here in Greensboro!!!
Buying some parts for the bike today! New FSA bars, Salsa stem, Campag cables, and FSA cranks. Time to update the S-Works!
Old 03-06-06, 06:39 PM

Bikes: 2005 caad4 cannondale r600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well this afternoon i signed up for my first tour it is the Celebration of Life Bicycle Ride in virginia beach va on may 13. this is my very first ride looking forward to it im at 265 on the scale this morning i would love to be around the 200 lb mark by the race i signed up for the 25 mile may change to the 50 mile by ride day....hope to see and meet a few of my fellow clydesdales there ......
Old 03-07-06, 12:34 AM
UBIQUE

Bikes: Avanti Giro, Avanti Barracuda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beldar77
I spent 3 weeks in NZ last year. One of those weeks was fly fishing near lake taupo. Great fishing and just the best people you ever hope to meet.
Yeah it's agreat part of NZ, Great fishing and hunting, plenty of rides both on and off the road and a lot of good events run out of there.I'm 3hrs south of there from in a place called Palmerston North. Have been a lurker my self for a while but finally go onto posting myself. Glad U enjoyed NZ, It's a great place to travel and the further south U go the nicer the people get.
Old 03-07-06, 10:08 AM
Big Clydesdale Bob

Bikes: Trek 7100 looking for a Rodie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any other clydes in the south west Chicago burbs Plainfield area?
I have been eyeing up the Joliet Bicycle Club's weekly rides
https://www.jolietbicycleclub.org/
Old 03-07-06, 12:17 PM

Bikes: Borrowed Specialized Secteur

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm looking for Clydesdales near Boston, MA. Any out there want to come and ride?

Peace.
Eric
Old 03-07-06, 03:13 PM
dmaclaren

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
5'8" 206 as of this morning. I don't think I look as bad as that sounds. I am hoping that next friday will be my last post on this thread. Of course there is a weekend of food that could proong my stay here but I hope not.

I ride a 2003 Davinci and seem to be just trashing chain as I ride outer front iner back.

Old 03-07-06, 04:30 PM

Bikes: none yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Entering as a Clydesdale.... 6'1" and 240 lbs age 34.

Looking to attempt my 1st sprint triathlon in June so I should weigh less by then. I was reading this thread and the under $700 thread at the same time...

I'm attempting to find a cheap bike to train and run my tri race with. Current goals 1) FINISHING the race , 2) keeping within the front 2/3 for my age & size + novice level.

Wondering if I could run more of a comfort bike that would put up with my size and be more comfortable than a true TRI bike. I was looking at a "K2 Astral 4.0 Flat Bar" or a "IBEX Corrida CT 3.3". Any thoughts?
Old 03-07-06, 06:48 PM

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eric Redard
I'm looking for Clydesdales near Boston, MA. Any out there want to come and ride?

Peace.
Eric
I think I'm doing a CRW (Charles River Wheelman) fitness ride this Saturday in Nedham. I'm not a Clydesdale, 170 was my heaviest, but that's where I'm riding this weekend. Had a great CRW ride last year with a guy who would be classified as such.

Keep up the great work guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.