Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 06:53 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by oj411
So I'm 6'3'' and at about 225lbs and I'm looking for a lite road bike that can last. Reading through out the forum on the wieght weenie models I know most of those models would not work with people in the clydesdale category so basically I'm looking for a weight weenie version for clydesdale...hahaha Im looking for the lightest setup that can still stop on a dime with my weight. I'm looking to spend around
$3k on one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I'm 230 lbs, and am riding a Giant OCR Limited CF bike. I ride many centuries, and have found it to be a good, solid, comfortable performer. I found the stock wheels to be a bit flexy for me, so I upgraded them. But the frame and componentry are just fine for a heavier rider.

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-05-06, 03:42 PM
www.onecycles.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are any of your guys using Dura Ace pedals, how much do you weigh, how many miles on the pedals, how is the bearing durability?
tell me what you think, I am thinking of getting a pair.
If not, what pedal are you using and what do you think according to the same questions?
Old 05-05-06, 07:06 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ******bagonwhlz
Are any of your guys using Dura Ace pedals, how much do you weigh, how many miles on the pedals, how is the bearing durability?
If not, what pedal are you using and what do you think according to the same questions?
5'8, 240 on Ultegra pedals. No problems but only 400 miles.
Old 05-06-06, 06:52 PM

Bikes: C'dale tandem, Specialized Roubaix,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using the Dura-Ace pedals for about a year, and I'm 300+. (I wouldn't have gone for something this nice but I bought them on clearance at the same price as the Ultegra.) No problems with the pedals themselves. I would like to move the pedals out a bit using spacers, but the Knee-Savers spacers don't work with this model. I'm thinking of replacing the spindle to one that would let me use the Knee-Savers. But the bearings are in good shape, and I like the wide platform. I have fewer hot spots with these pedals. I'd say I've put about 2,500-3,000 miles on them so far.
Old 05-07-06, 03:00 PM

Bikes: 06 Giant OCR Limited, 05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Redard
I'm looking for Clydesdales near Boston, MA. Any out there want to come and ride?

Peace.
Eric
Why not? I am in Bedford... Riding the lake in Wakefield every morning...
Old 05-07-06, 04:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to biking

I am 6'2" 225llbs.

Looking for a great all around bike. Never thought weight was an issue in cycling.

I am currently looking at a Specialized Tri Cross or Sport.

I want to be able to do some road biking some small off road stuff (dirt paths easy mountain trails).
and bang around with the Family.

Any good suggestions. I am still trying to stomach the price of the Tri Cross sport. I am afraid to go to cheap and spend on upgrading later like my golf clubs
Old 05-07-06, 04:18 PM

Bikes: 06 Giant OCR Limited, 05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ******bagonwhlz
6'4" 240lb - ultegra pedals. 1350 miles - no problems.
Old 05-09-06, 01:39 AM
Roadie

Bikes: 2006 Orbea Vuelta, 2003 Trek 4300, 1999 Trek 2100. 1987 Centurion Lemans RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm 6'3'' and at about 225lbs and I'm looking for a lite road bike that can last. Reading through out the forum on the wieght weenie models I know most of those models would not work with people in the clydesdale category so basically I'm looking for a weight weenie version for clydesdale...hahaha Im looking for the lightest setup that can still stop on a dime with my weight. I'm looking to spend around
$3k on one.

I would suggest a hybrid frame. I'm 6'1" 260 pounds. I ride a 1999 Trek 2100. This bike has Alpha AL frame with carbon seat stays and front fork. I have close to 8000 miles in last three seasons. You get the strengh of the Alpha AL but the cushion from the carbon. I ride this bike hard and I can attest to its dependablity and durability. I use Time Cyclo peddles. They are easy in/out cleat. Plenty of float for the person concerned about knee issues. With the 2100 listing at about 1600. That gives you alot of cash for goodie which are just as important. Heres a pic of my Trek I took last week. It is a work horse.

Last edited by bluyak; 05-10-06 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 11:24 AM
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bluyak, I like your setup there, what kind of rack is that?
Old 05-09-06, 12:18 PM
Lovin' it!

Bikes: ROAD: 2005 Giant OCR Composite Limited MTN: 1998 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
I'm 230 lbs, and am riding a Giant OCR Limited CF bike. I ride many centuries, and have found it to be a good, solid, comfortable performer. I found the stock wheels to be a bit flexy for me, so I upgraded them. But the frame and componentry are just fine for a heavier rider.
I second this motion. I'm 235lbs and 6'4" riding a '05 Giant OCR Limited carbon fiber bike. I have a little over 2000 miles on the bike, all stock components, and so far it's been excellent. I agree with Bigbossman that the stock wheels are a bit flexy, but so far mine have stayed in true, even with 2000 miles and lots of powerful hill climbs. When the wheels start going, or I break some spokes, I'll look at upgrading the wheelset.
Old 05-09-06, 07:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greets all - This is my first post on this board, so here is a little about me - I'm 23 yrs old, 6'6" and 220lbs. I live in Philly, PA, and I graduated UPenn last year.

My weight is rapidly dropping back to my race weight of about 210lbs (Took some time off from working out this winter). I have never raced on a bike, however. I was a rower in college, and in my last year I developed tendonitis in my back, so I decided to get into road cycling since I can not row until my back issues are worked out. I bought a Raleigh Grand Prix for $300, built sometime around the early 90's I believe, and is in decent condition. The steel frame has no dents or cracks, just a little chipped paint. I've had to replace the rear wheel due to cracking the hub, and the chain and cassette due to regular wear. It's a 61cm frame size and it is a little small for me. I am getting much faster on the bike and have been looking into getting a much better, faster ride. The owner of my local store, Bicycle Therapy, tells me I should look at nothing smaller than 63cm or a fully custom frame. The fully custom job is more than I want to spend. I am very interested in either the Bianchi Giro (Ally/Carbon, $1599, Shimano 105 set) or the Felt F55 (Ally/carbon $2100, Dura-ace), or the Felt F65 (Ally/carbon, $1699, Ultegra). Both these bikes are made in a 63cm size. I think I am limited in my exposure to different brands because this store only carries Bianchi, Felt, Litespeed (don't make a 63 at all), and Ridley, and I haven't looked much farther. I do not have a car, so it is hard for me to get to other stores. I am starting to do some research on the web, which is why I'm here

My questions are - would any of these be a good choice for a very tall, heavy rider? Are there other options out there for a 63cm frame that I should look at? Will I crack a carbon crank?

I am a pretty muscular/skinny guy at my racing weight, but I am well over 200 lbs, so I am hoping this thread is the right place to ask these questions. I hope I'm not asking anyone to repeat themselves... there have been a lot of bikes reccomended in this thread, but mostly for weight issues, and my biggest issue is the size.

Thanks for your help.

James
Old 05-09-06, 08:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was mistaken... Litespeed's Ultimate comes in 63, and actually has a 65cm seat tube. This is probably a good size for me but is way more than I can afford, so no matter anyway.
Old 05-09-06, 08:42 PM
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$3k on one.

I priced you out a sweet custom steel bike that is 3300$ with a 600$ wheelset.
pinch a couple of pennies on components and you are set up with a frame that will last forever
https://www.zinncycles.com/RoadPrice3.aspx
Old 05-09-06, 08:47 PM
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That link didn't show the components
I used a custom steel road frame, with a 105 group (no custom cranks), and a velomax orion wheelset (600).
I just realized that you probably would want to fly in and get fitted, and then the shipping cost, and the delivery cost, and the wait time....
Old 05-09-06, 09:49 PM
Roadie

Bikes: 2006 Orbea Vuelta, 2003 Trek 4300, 1999 Trek 2100. 1987 Centurion Lemans RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shakeNbake
Bluyak, I like your setup there, what kind of rack is that?
Its a Topeak RX Beamrack with the panniers and Topeak RX trunk bag with exspandable side pannier bags. Goto Topeaks website for more info. I also have the smaller bag that doesnt have the panniers. Whats nice about these bags. Is they slide on and off with a quick release. I carry all my tools, spare parts, and rain gear. They are waterproof and insolated. Both will hold a six pack. The larger one exspands. Here's a pic with the panniers open.

One thing I do pack in the bag is the Topeak Flash Stand. That is the stand holding the bike up. It weighs 1.4 pounds. Quite handy to do driveline tweeks on the road or just to stand the bike up when off of it.
Old 05-10-06, 12:19 AM
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thx, bluyak. That's def. gonna go on my list for my next bike.

Good idea on packing the stand too.
Old 05-10-06, 02:41 AM
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shakeNbake
Thx, bluyak. That's def. gonna go on my list for my next bike.

Good idea on packing the stand too.
Your welcome. I've spent alot of time researching and setting up the bike. It is very functional for solo endurance riding. When your 50 miles from home and no sag to depend on. You had better be able to fix it to get yourself home. i keep the bike tuned and go over it before every ride. I dont want any suprizes. But if something happens I can fix it.
Old 05-10-06, 08:40 AM
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
While contemplating buying a geared road bike for my 24 mile commute, I will pitch in with my data.

I am 6f 1' and 205 pounds.

I admire you all heavier clyde's for the discipline and changing lifelong habits in such radical manner. My respects to you all.
Old 05-12-06, 04:21 PM

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Well, I'm 23 6'2'' and 220. I hit my max weight this winter and had just about enough of my laziness. I started running in January and ran 1.5 miles 3 times a week until mid Feb when it started raining. It rained pretty much straight through till mid April. Being a mild asthmatic, long distance running at any reasonable pace gets difficult around the 2 mile marker. With rising gas prices, I figured I could do two things at once; get in shape and save some money. I've been riding around 60 miles a week since mid April and so far I've lost 10 lbs. I have to get in shape for the police academy. I currently ride a Specialized Hardrock with some Armadillos on it, but I'm in the process of building a custom roadie from the ground up this summer. The ultimate goals are to be down to 200 and ride a century in September.
Old 05-13-06, 10:50 PM

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works SL2, Redline Conquest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roubaix comp triple

JamesDL

I am 6'6" 235 and just got back into cycling. I had been riding an older steel frame bike with upgraded wheels (campy hubs and mavic wheels). I looked at several bikes including the Felt, Trek Pilot, Specialized Allez and Specialized Roubaix Comp. I ended up liking the Roubaix the best and bought it for around 2k - for me there really was no comparison. This is a very nice riding bike being that it's full carbon fibre. The biggest improvement I noticed was that hills seemed to have gotten easier (although that could be a function of getting my legs back.) So far I've put about 500 miles on it and it's taken everything I've been able to dish out so far (wheels are still true, frame is nice and tight, no cracks etc...). I purchased the largest size available which was a 61 cm. However, the frame has a sloping top tube, so the effective size I believe is closer to a 63cm. If you have any chance at all of shopping for a specialized, I would definately take on of these on a test ride. For the price you get full carbon fibre, ultegra fd and rd and 105 brakes (which were the best of all I tested.) Also, this model has upgraded bottom bracket with the outbaord bearings which make the crank nice and stiff.

Good luck on your search.
Old 05-14-06, 05:50 PM
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6 foot 4 and weigh about a deuce and a quarter and have been into cycling since I was a kid recently got back into it to raise money and awareness for brain cancer research plus life in a metro without a car rocks

1970's kobe cobra (was my dads and one of the most advanced japanese bikes of the time)
early 60's sears freespirit ted williams (one of the austrian made puch frames) single speed convert
soon a windsor track bike
and a custom made rex (local frame maker)

good luck watch out for that car door and have fun
Old 05-14-06, 08:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never ridden anything but mtn bikes till today. I just got a Felt F80. I figured when you already tip the scale over 200, there's not much sense spending the extra grand or so to shave a few pounds off the ride. I can easily enough just skip breakfast. lol. Anyways, riding has always been very enjoyable to me and has become my way of commuting nowadays too. I also can't see the point to aid in inflating gas prices when I can just as easily pedal to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike2.JPG (83.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 05-16-06, 09:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds more like a Shetland pony link to me!

Are you ready for this? I am 6'2" at 316 lbs! I was 230 before being parralyzed in 91.I've gained 1 lb in the last 3 months but at the same time went from a XXL in waist to a XL, go figure! I ride a Giant FCR4 flatbar road bike. Just can't seem to get onto a drop bar bike! Have been told that mine is a fitness bike, but I think it is a roadie! Seems to have the same gears and stuff that everyone else has. On slight downhill slope in town have seen 28.8MPH so far and 31.5 on an overpass we have. 15.6 mile rides are very little problem.Can barely walk, can't run and biking is my only exercise! It did cut my blood sugar in half tho, am diabetic! If you guys are Clydedales at 210, what am I at 316?? Scarey, huh?
Old 05-17-06, 08:00 AM
Float. Hammer. Jog.

Bikes: Trek: Pilot 2.1, 6500 Peugeot: Corbier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scubajim49
what am I at 316?? Scarey, huh?
Here is what I think you are: An inspiration. Imagine how the health of America would improve if they knew what you know. Keep hammering, scubajim.
Old 05-17-06, 03:51 PM

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is next up from Clydesdale? Yeti?

Well, training for my first century (this Sunday) finally got me under the 300# mark. 60# down and another 80 to go.

I'm 6'1" and of German farmer stock so 210-220 is about as light as I'll ever be.

I ride an alumnium GT Edge Aero I built when I moved to NYC. 36 spoke triple cross non butted mavic wheels with Ultegra hubs -- that is how I ride through NY's cobblestones and potholes without rebuilding the wheels every week.

I average about 150-200 miles per week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.