Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
180cm 105kg
starting to ride 10km each way to work down hill ther and uphill back
Lost 11kg and want to get to 95 kg (not sure about this pounds stuff)
Just bought a shogun road bike a few years old but better than my Holstar 10yr old hybrid
Looking at doing a 50km ride this weekend
Old 10-11-07, 06:35 PM
Getting Less Chunky

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh SuperCourse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to this forum. I'm 5'10'', and I'm about 265. I'm a college student, and I've been over 200 since I was about 14 years old. I'm sick of being fat and out of shape. I like the whole Tri scene, but my favorite is biking by far. I did a tri this year to give me a good starting point, and now it's all about shaving off the minutes and the pounds.
Old 10-11-07, 06:37 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Welcome aboard, both of you!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 10-12-07, 05:49 PM

Bikes: Giant Sedona DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to this forum as well and might possibly be the biggest guy here. I have not been through all 54 pages in this thread yet to confirm that, but I am 6'1" and am currently 427lbs. I am going to be having Laparoscopic gastric bypass weight loss surgery before the end of the year, but have already started to go out riding as it is so much fun.

I have a 2005 Giant Sedona DX bicycle and so far, it seems to be supporting my weight just fine. I have only been out riding on some local trails and I try to be as gentle as possible as to not damage the bike. Is there anyone else on this forum that is anywhere near my weight? If so, I would like to hear from you
Old 10-12-07, 05:57 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by bill875
I'm new to this forum as well and might possibly be the biggest guy here. I have not been through all 54 pages in this thread yet to confirm that, but I am 6'1" and am currently 427lbs. I am going to be having Laparoscopic gastric bypass weight loss surgery before the end of the year, but have already started to go out riding as it is so much fun.

I have a 2005 Giant Sedona DX bicycle and so far, it seems to be supporting my weight just fine. I have only been out riding on some local trails and I try to be as gentle as possible as to not damage the bike. Is there anyone else on this forum that is anywhere near my weight? If so, I would like to hear from you
I started out in the 450+ range after a Roux-N-Y procedure. Good fortune and it will help change your life for the better Remember though that it's a tool and you have to continue the change as a lifelong thing.

This

to this

Old 10-12-07, 09:15 PM

Bikes: Giant Sedona DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for replying. I am glad to see that you have been so successful with your weight loss. I hope to have similar success too. If everything goes as planned, I should be having my Roux-N-Y surgery by the middle of December. I wish it could happen tomorrow, but I will patiently wait.

Did you previously have any problems with your bicycle(s) or gear due to your weight? If so what did you do to fix or correct the problem(s)? Would you suggest that I upgrade my tires, tubes or rims to help prevent any weight related damage or blowouts?

Thank you for any advice you can offer

-Bill
Old 10-12-07, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by bill875
Thank you so much for replying. I am glad to see that you have been so successful with your weight loss. I hope to have similar success too. If everything goes as planned, I should be having my Roux-N-Y surgery by the middle of December. I wish it could happen tomorrow, but I will patiently wait.

Did you previously have any problems with your bicycle(s) or gear due to your weight? If so what did you do to fix or correct the problem(s)? Would you suggest that I upgrade my tires, tubes or rims to help prevent any weight related damage or blowouts?

Thank you for any advice you can offer

-Bill
Spec heavy and don't worry much about saving weight. High Spoke counts, 40 rear and 36 front. As you lose weight, they can be eventually switched to lower spoke ct and lighter weight wheels. Since the bike is doing well so far,m don't sweat it, but pay attention to your wheels. Watch for broken spokes, etc, and ride "light". Don't drop off curbs and avoid potholes. Other than that, see how the wheels you have do.

Meantime, keep riding !

Old 10-13-07, 09:56 AM

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's great to see all of us Clydes' out there cycling. I figured it's about time I contributed a pic of meself, even if it looks goofy as heck.

Here's one from back in July, on vacay in the South of England, arriving back at the house from a ride up to West Dean, Sussex, on a rented Claude Butler road/rail mix bike.

Aside from the rigid fork (fine for some, but a little rough on my herniated disks at the time), it was perfect for the network of road, trail and dirt road routes that criss-cross the area.

At this point I was in the 196-201 range, down from a high of 219 lbs in 11/06. Goal is having fun getting to 183.

Old 10-15-07, 10:37 AM
It's full of stars...

Bikes: Trek OCLV mt Bike, Diamond Back Sorrento (stolen), Cannondale 4000, KHS fixie, Giant Butte commuter work horse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5'11" 220lbs. is too damn much. I donated a kidney 5 years ago and have gain a few pounds every year since. I stepped on the scales a couple of months back and hit 225! That was it. I started riding to work and now I'm in the gym 3 days a week as well.

My commute is pretty short so I built a fixie to ride to commute with. I figure that not being able to coast has to have some benefits. Besides I wanted to prove that you don't have to be a 130lbs vegan scenester to ride fixie!

I'm trying to drop to 200lbs by next July and ride the Creampuff 100. I'll probably be the only guy over 200 to try it. Here is my daily ride. I have fenders and risers on it for winter.

Old 10-18-07, 07:54 PM
Don't ban me, bro!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm Deamer and I've been lurking around for a while, but figured I should go ahead and introduce myself.
I'm not always over 200, but at 6'2" - with the shoulders and chest I inherited from my grandfather, I still consider myself a clyde.
I've been riding pretty much since I got my first bike for my 5th birthday, a 20 inch huffy with blue tires, that must have weighed 50 pounds. When I was about 7 I took it apart to figure out how it worked and the "wrench bug" I found inside bit me. Twenty some odd years later, I ride a Fisher Marlin named Daisy that hasn't been in a bike shop since I bought her. (Okay, once but that was when I was working in one)
Anything else you want to know just ask.

Last edited by Deamer; 10-18-07 at 07:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-18-07, 08:11 PM

Welcome aboard, Deamer! At 6'2", guess what......

You're a Clyde
Originally Posted by Deamer
Hi, I'm Deamer and I've been lurking around for a while, but figured I should go ahead and introduce myself.
I'm not always over 200, but at 6'2" - with the shoulders and chest I inherited from my grandfather, I still consider myself a clyde.
I've been riding pretty much since I got my first bike for my 5th birthday, a 20 inch huffy with blue tires, that must have weighed 50 pounds. When I was about 7 I took it apart to figure out how it worked and the "wrench bug" I found inside bit me. Twenty some odd years later, I ride a Fisher Marlin named Daisy that hasn't been in a bike shop since I bought her. (Okay, once but that was when I was working in one)
Anything else you want to know just ask.

Old 10-19-07, 03:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone. I have been surfing the forums for awhile, soaking up all the great info and riding experience, but this is my first time posting. It's really great to see all us bigger guys getting out there and turning those cranks, so I just had to post. I am 24 years old, 6' 4", and 225lbs currently and I started riding seriously about 8 months ago. I am really new to the bike world, but for the most part I find it to be a very supportive, fun-loving group of people. I always like the smile, nod, and wave you get from other riders as you they ride the other direction down the trail or road.
I rode mountain bikes when I was in high school briefly, but as all my friends were twigs they shot way ahead and I quickly lost interest. I got back into cycling almost by accident or fate if you believe in it. I had to get a bike for getting back and forth to school and work so I went down to one of the many great bike stores we have here in Chico California. I promptly bought what I thought to be the coolest looking cruiser and rode it out a couple days later. The first time I rode the bike the tire POPPED, blew some of the sidewall with it. I brought it back, they put a new tire on, and again, pop! It happened three times in a row, and it's never fun walking your bike home. So I decided to return the bike and look elsewhere. The number one thing I remember from the cruiser is that I hated how slow I was on it. So I looked at the complete opposite side of the spectrum, road bikes.
I really love riding and it has completely changed my life in the last year. I started working out routinely 4-5 days a week and riding as much as I can between classes. I have lost almost 60 lbs. at this point with just far better nutrition and a lot of great exercise. I am hoping to get down to about 190 in the end, but I am in no hurry. I have also jumped back into mountain biking as of a couple months ago. My commuter is a Klein Quantum from the early 90's, my fun roadie is a 08' Bianchi 1885, and my mountain bike is 08' Trek Fuel EX 9.
It's great to read everyones stories of success on two wheels. Keep riding towards your goals.
Old 10-19-07, 05:38 PM

Welcome aboard 2wheel! Glad to have ya here!

Old 10-19-07, 09:06 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,013 Posts
Welcome to all the new folks. We are a pretty friendly group.

Old 10-23-07, 02:55 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoops, been here since June 2007 and forgot to introduce myself. My name is Mark, I go by the nickname of Trolley guy because I drive the vintage trolleys on McKinney Avenue in Dallas TX.

I began reading this forum after reading that bicycling was a great form of exercise (which I already knew), and that an hour of biking could equal 500 or more calories. I had ridden a Schwinn Super Sport in the very early 70's and had used it to go everywhere. Well, life, marriage, career, etc managed to get in the way and I eventually worked my way up from 155 to 273. After a second heart attack and subsequent quadruple bypass surgery, something had to change. I had dropped to about 260 but wasn't getting any further with it. I was beginning to have chest tightness AGAIN and realized that If I don't do something NOW, there won't be a later. I had thought of swimming since I had gotten a scholarship for it in college, but even here in Dallas, the options for lap swimming year round were limited or very expensive.

I then went over to an LBS and test rode a Trek 7100. The salesman teased me about the 11 year old boy look that had spread over my face. I knew what I was going to do. I started saving up to buy a bike, but something always came along that required the funds. Then my wife suggested we look at a pawn shop. We went there and I found mostly old dirty xmart junkers. But one was clean. It was a Mongoose Sahara hybrid that looked like it had never been ridden, ie. the tires still had those rubber things that stick out. My wife talked the guy down to $100 and it was mine.
I started out slow, but my endurance rapidly increased. Most surprising was the way I felt. I felt like I was in my 20's instead of 53, rolling back the clock! No more chest tightness, pulse of about 50-55 per minute and endurance like I didn't think possible. I'm seriously hooked on this stuff now. Saved up and got a Trek 1000 Discovery road bike and even got my wife a Specialized Expedition since she has shown an interest. Now she is working up her endurance on our stationary bike and doing short rides with me.

Sorry about the length of this, but I wanted to express my gratitude for this forum and for the difference bike riding is making in my life.

Mark Whigham

Last edited by Trolley Guy; 10-23-07 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-23-07, 06:01 PM
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm back after a hiatus of a few months. I fell off the wagon and lost hope for a while.

Two months ago, I decided I'd had about enough procrastination and began the South Beach Diet. I was concerned at first that my cycling would suffer at least temporarily during the strictest introductory phase. You see I do two endurance MTB races each year but up untill now, I've just concentrated on finishing but not really been serious about weight loss. I'm 5'7" and had ballooned to 243 lbs as of two months ago. I could still ride well enough. In fact, I log 2000+miles in an average season.

The good news is that the pounds have started to come off. I'm now at 226 lbs and have improved my time at my favorite trails by about 10%. My goal is 175 by the end of next season. I'll probably need to refine it from there but I have not weighted 175 since the sophomore year of college.

The better news is that after the first two weeks or so, my energy on the bike is improved. I'm very much in touch with my blood sugar and the best way to fuel the rides without wrecking a decent eating plan. I have my season ending race in two and a half weeks and will probable beat my time and average speed goals by a few percent.

By the way, I got a bit tired of wheel problems and learned the skill. I now build my own wheels and help friends and family with theirs. It's really not that hard once you get into it. I just put a new one together for the mountain bike two weeks ago and the wheels on my road bike have been good for 4500 miles.

Here's to saying goodbye to the 230s for ever for me. Next goal - 218 by new years.
Old 10-25-07, 08:53 PM
Everybody relax, I'm here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK just found this forum, I am definitely a clydesdale started working out in February after hitting the scales at almost 300, I am 6'2" now around 235 lifting, running and now biking and rowing round out my fitness activities.... want to train to ride the hottern'hell hundred next year......
Old 10-26-07, 09:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys. First post. I'm 6'9" around 290 so I guess I qualify. I ride a 70cm C-T-C Serotta Colorado I had made around 1987? I also have a 25" Giant Yukon MTB. Looking forward to poking around.
Antelope 70cm
Old 11-06-07, 09:15 AM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Langster Comp, 2005 Schwinn DBX Super Sport, 2004 Trek 5900 Superlight

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
I started out in the 450+ range after a Roux-N-Y procedure.
Good on you, mate! You're an inspiration.

I'm checking in. 5-11, 214. I've been breaking spokes like mad ever since I started cycling again a few years ago. I went from 291 in 2003 to 209 in 2005. Right now, I'm just trying to keep my commuter bike rolling. It's amazing how much power you develop when you're heavy. I was talking to a Cat 1 guy I know the other day who regularly wins pro races and my peak power is higher than his. I didn't tell him, of course! I'm sure 99% of you are the same way. I just wish I could just get back under 180 like I was in college. Oh, well, I eat too much Mexican food and ice cream, I guess.
Old 11-06-07, 12:05 PM
Bike Shop Geek

Bikes: I don't own the bicyle... It owns me!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been a long time since I posted here... It's good to know this thread turned into a Sticky, then turned into a Sub-Forum. "BIG PEOPLE RIDE... AND RIDE A LOT!"

I just started a Bicycle & Coffee shop just west of Madison, WI in the Village of Cross Plains. It's a labor of love that takes me off the bicycle too much But, I get to do 2 things I love... fix bikes and make great coffee. If you're in the area stop in, or ask where I'm located.

I'm hovering around 225 right now and want to keep it no greater than that through the winter. I'm going to ride every nice day through the winter (that I'm not in the shop). I need excuses to ride, so anyone who wants to ride in the area look me up. uphillgrind.net
Old 11-09-07, 09:23 AM
JRA.

Bikes: '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just joined the forums a couple of days ago, thought I should make my introductions here. 6'2" 235lbs. I've been amazingly lucky about not breaking most of my equipment although I've done in my fair share of frames. Just bought an IRO Mark V for my commuter which is the bike I ride the most. Used to mountain bike quite a bit (2000 Cannondale Jekyll 3000) but since I moved to Boston in 2000 I haven't done so much of that. I have a mental twitch about driving places to ride my bike.
Old 11-12-07, 03:01 AM

Bikes: Old one... don't recall at the moment :(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'6" 240ish pounds *lower end of the ish* I started biking to try to start lessening my dependence on my car, the lease is up next year and I'm hoping to stop using it all together soon. I'm an Athena, and married to a non Clydesdale... lol I just got my bike and he's gotten interested in it now too, so by spring he'll be out cycling with me. I ride a 06 Fuji Nevada 4.0 MTB Hardtail. I hope to get a road bike or a hybrid once I'm down a bit.
Old 11-13-07, 11:59 AM

Bikes: schwin.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Everyone, glad to be back online. Had a long summer, went through two knee surgeries, had scopes on both.. Now that im back to work and everything the wife had to have her right knee scoped. Our riding has been nill. Now that winter is coming i doubt i will be riding outside much so its back to the gym and the stationary bikes. welcome to the new members. Tom how did that trip you went on turn out? let me know thanks Peabob.
Old 11-14-07, 04:12 PM
circus bear

Bikes: 97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should have stopped here to introduce myself. Nice to see others like myself out there. Not alot of Clydes in my areas of commuting and general screwing around...
Started out at 330, currently about 290. Started up again in August of this year. Currently putting in about 100 miles a week commuting and fun rolling. Plan on a winter Centruy, not sure Imperial or Metric yet. Depends on weather.
Currently running an 07 Yukon with drop bars, 80' Panasonic DX-2000 (WooHoo for $50 dollar bikes! A skip save I'll have to post else wheres...) and a 77' Schwinn Speedster undergoing a switch to 26" wheels and an 7 speed internal hub. Its what I started out on this summer and I'm really attached to it...

And yes, I already blew out the rear hub on the MTB. What a nightmare that turned out to be! A month without the MTB....

Anyway, nice stories and gives me hope daily that I WILL reach my goals.

Tom~ Thanks for moderating and showing just what someone is capable of doing with determination and perseverance.

Since August I've put on a bit over 1000 miles. Looking to best that up to 3-5000 next year. Parked the car and I've been grinning like a 7 year old ever since...
Old 11-15-07, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a great story. It's easier to keep that kind of thing going if both spouses take part. As long as it does not become too much of a competition. Best of luck!

Originally Posted by Trolley Guy
Whoops, been here since June 2007 and forgot to introduce myself. My name is Mark, I go by the nickname of Trolley guy because I drive the vintage trolleys on McKinney Avenue in Dallas TX.

I began reading this forum after reading that bicycling was a great form of exercise (which I already knew), and that an hour of biking could equal 500 or more calories. I had ridden a Schwinn Super Sport in the very early 70's and had used it to go everywhere. Well, life, marriage, career, etc managed to get in the way and I eventually worked my way up from 155 to 273. After a second heart attack and subsequent quadruple bypass surgery, something had to change. I had dropped to about 260 but wasn't getting any further with it. I was beginning to have chest tightness AGAIN and realized that If I don't do something NOW, there won't be a later. I had thought of swimming since I had gotten a scholarship for it in college, but even here in Dallas, the options for lap swimming year round were limited or very expensive.

I then went over to an LBS and test rode a Trek 7100. The salesman teased me about the 11 year old boy look that had spread over my face. I knew what I was going to do. I started saving up to buy a bike, but something always came along that required the funds. Then my wife suggested we look at a pawn shop. We went there and I found mostly old dirty xmart junkers. But one was clean. It was a Mongoose Sahara hybrid that looked like it had never been ridden, ie. the tires still had those rubber things that stick out. My wife talked the guy down to $100 and it was mine.
I started out slow, but my endurance rapidly increased. Most surprising was the way I felt. I felt like I was in my 20's instead of 53, rolling back the clock! No more chest tightness, pulse of about 50-55 per minute and endurance like I didn't think possible. I'm seriously hooked on this stuff now. Saved up and got a Trek 1000 Discovery road bike and even got my wife a Specialized Expedition since she has shown an interest. Now she is working up her endurance on our stationary bike and doing short rides with me.

Sorry about the length of this, but I wanted to express my gratitude for this forum and for the difference bike riding is making in my life.

Mark Whigham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.