Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

"double" derailleur, "tripple" cranckset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 12:30 AM
100 kW :)

Bikes: '08 Specialized Tarmac SL2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry for newbie question but can "double" derailleur be used on "tripple" crankset?
Old 11-01-05, 02:07 AM

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no- the cage will be too short

(edit - good point retro grouch- I jumped to conclusions and assumed the rear derailleur)

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)

Last edited by royalflash; 11-01-05 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 05:02 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
You asking about the front or rear?

A double front derailleur won't lift the chain as well from the granny to the middle ring. If you're using STI shifters, many people have a hard time getting the front derailleur to shift to their satisfaction anyway so I'd definitely recommend using the right front derailleur for a triple.

On the rear I'd use a short cage double derailleur on a personal bike but I'd prefer to install the correct long cage derailleur on a customer bike. Generally, with a triple, you only use the granny gear with the largest two or three cogs in back. Since you're never getting even close to using the little/little combination, you can live without having enough chain slack take up capability to handle it.

I wouldn't like to put a short cage on a customer triple because 1. I don't know for sure how they ride. and 2. I'd like to give the impression that I pay proper attention to the details.