Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

First Trip For Folder-Suggestions?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 12:36 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Well, I am a bit ashamed to admit that I never fully explored my native region of Southern California. I am planning to visit a off shore island about 20 miles off the coast of California named Catalina. I have never been there. It is advertised as a cyclist's paradise since large motor vehicles are extremely restricted. I am going between November 20-January 30 weekdays only (off season).

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to expect when I arrive? Is my 2003 Dahon Boardwalk S1 now a modified three speed a good choice to take with me or should I rent a bike there? If you went to an island for a visit (even if it is not Catalina), what did you do there and did you ride a bike? I am staying within the city limits. I will be using all public transit from my house to the island.

Even though I know that this forum is not a travel agency, I felt that this trip still helps to illustrate several important bicycle issues. I always felt bad about leaving my Boardwalk behind when I had a nagging feeling that maybe this is the time to really enjoy the bike beyond just for commuting or utility use. Thank you for all your ideas on this subject.
Old 11-05-05, 05:42 PM
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My personal opinion: Take it.

First, you will have a chance to re-establish your needs and evaluate your bike as adequate/below your expectations/way better than you thought/etc.

Second, if you have the bike with you and you really don't enjoy it, you will always have the option to rent another bike while there.

Third and last, it may be a turning point in your life. You may realize that the trouble to take the bike with you is not worthed, or you can develop the habit of taking it everywhere!

I'm not sure about your budget, but a folding bike, a simple digital camera and a Camelbak can change your life.

Rafael Guerra

PS: Since you have time, I would consider playing more often with your bike before the trip. You may realize it needs some work (or even replacement) before you carry a 25pounds useless paperweight.
Old 11-06-05, 07:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rafael Guerra

Third and last, it may be a turning point in your life. You may realize that the trouble to take the bike with you is not worthed, or you can develop the habit of taking it everywhere!

I'm not sure about your budget, but a folding bike, a simple digital camera and a Camelbak can change your life.
How true is that? Exploring by bicycle is an excellent way to see the world
Old 11-06-05, 09:26 AM
Explorer

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP, Merlin Road Ti, Fisher Mt. Tam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi FF,

I have spent plenty of time in Avalon, and my opinion is that if you intend to stay within the city limits your bike might be more trouble than it's worth. Everything in Avalon is within easy walking distance.

May I suggest an alternate destination? Santa Barbara has enough ground to cover that a bike is well justified, and it's a beautiful train ride up the coast. Plenty of Bed and Breakfast opportunities, galleries, and restaurants that are of a higher caliber than what you would find on Catalina.

If you do go to Catalina, and intend to ride outside of Avalon, make sure your flat-fixin' kit is well stocked. It's been years since I've been there, but as I recall, you can't go very far in any direction before pavement turns to dirt. Lots of burrs.
Strida 5.0
Twenty project

— or not . . .
Fisher Mt. Tam (c.1988)
Merlin Road flat bar project
Schwinn Twinn Deluxe
Old 11-06-05, 08:16 PM

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sort of agree with the last statement. Downtown Avalon is pretty small but I think a bike would still come in handy. Outside of town is petty hilly, you will need your lower gears. Santa Barbara, and my hometime of Ventura are beautiful, can be easily reached by train and are bike friendly.