Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

"Fixing" a Shimano 3-speed...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-05, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was told that converting a 3-speed to a fixed gear was real easy and that the best place to obtain information on doing so was the internet. Well I've spent the last 3 hours searching this site and the In-tire-net (bad play on words sry) and have found ZIP on converting my Shimano 3-speed into a fixed gear hub. I have a .pdf on how to convert a SRAM Torpedo 3-speed to a 2 speed fix. but that's all that I've found.

If anyone has any helpfull links or knows how to do this and information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. Moderators: Sorry for such a N00bish question and I DID search for a long time. Just in case this has been discussed before and I missed it.
Old 11-06-05, 10:26 PM
meet the mets

Bikes: Raleigh conversion (hours spent making it look like a Pista); Porter Track, Samson Track, Leto Roadie.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there.

Uh, who told you that? I think they must have meant that it's fairly easy to convert a three-speed bike to a fixed gear by swapping out the three-speed wheel for a wheel with a track or flip/flop hub.

The only three-speed fixed hub that I'm aware of is the Sturmey-Archer ASC, a museum piece that no one has.

Sheldon Brown has instructions for turning a standard SA three-speed hub to a two-speed fixed, but even he cautions that it's very tricky.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/awfixed.html
Old 11-06-05, 10:40 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Real Eyes
I was told that converting a 3-speed to a fixed gear was real easy and that the best place to obtain information on doing so was the internet. Well I've spent the last 3 hours searching this site and the In-tire-net (bad play on words sry) and have found ZIP on converting my Shimano 3-speed into a fixed gear hub.
I tried to do that years ago by filling the hub up with epoxy, but it didn't hold up.

I do currently have a Shimano cassette hub (7-speed, I think, but I've only got two sprockets and a bunch of spacers on it) that I "fixed" by brazing the Freehub body together.

It's pretty cool, gives me an on-road and off-road fixed gear, and I never have to pull the wheel out of the stoopid backwards fork ends, since both sprockets are on the same side.

https://sheldonbrown.org/bass

Sheldon "Good Luck" Brown
Code:
+-----------------------------------+
|   The gains in life come slowly,  | 
|   but the losses come suddenly.   |
|              -- Garrison Keillor  |
+-----------------------------------+