Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Finally Commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Finally Commuting

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-01, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This weekend, I bought a messenger bag to get me by. That was the last piece of equipment I needed before I could start commuting.

This morning, I made the 5 mile trek from my house in Overland Park, KS to my work in Kansas City, MO. I felt a little top heavy with my coat on - it was only 35 degrees - and with my computer on my back. This was mainly a problem because of my pedals. I haven't biked much the past few years, but I'm still accustomed to being able to spin. I miss clipless pedals or straps. Having my center of gravity so high and having to work a little harder on the "push" combined to make me feel a little awkward.

Anyway, this made me hasten my order for a pair of PowerGrip pedals this morning. I paid the extra $3 to get them "second day".

I also got a rear rack at a bike shop in Lawrence, KS this weekend. That, with my "milk crate"/bungee/Rube Goldberg contraption, and I'm set for grocery shopping now, as well.

I used to ride 10-20 miles per day on my road bike until about 4 years ago. My life got a little hectic, and someone made me an offer on it that I couldn't refuse. I've been without a bike since. In February, I decided to start bike commuting, and bought an old Trek 700 (year unknown, though I'd like to know), at an MS Society Bike Sale for $50. I checked it out, cleaned and greased it up. I just needed a way to carry my computer.

Thanks for all the great advice and support I've seen here.

By the way, I got my "messenger" bag at the Gap for $12.99.

Jonathan
Old 04-16-01, 11:24 AM
TriBob

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Sounds great! Welcome back to cycling.

Old 04-16-01, 01:01 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
:cool:
Old 04-23-01, 11:27 AM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's great you're doing this! Congratulations.

I'm puzzled as to why you prefer Power Grips. I found them hard to get into and somewhat hard to get out of, and not suitable for me in heavy traffic where I had to stop so often. My favorite system is Shimano SPD's, but unless you want to carry extra shoes or make do with walkable but not-so-great-for-walking (or working!) SPD equipped shoes, they're not as practical as clips and straps.

Why can't you still use clips and straps?
Old 04-23-01, 02:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by JonR
I'm puzzled as to why you prefer Power Grips. I found them hard to get into and somewhat hard to get out of, and not suitable for me in heavy traffic where I had to stop so often. My favorite system is Shimano SPD's, but unless you want to carry extra shoes or make do with walkable but not-so-great-for-walking (or working!) SPD equipped shoes, they're not as practical as clips and straps.

Why can't you still use clips and straps?

This is my first exposure to PowerGrip use. I've only been using them for 4 days, but I love them. I can get in them pretty quickly, without having to use my hands to tighten, or leaving them loose. Getting out hasn't been a problem either. Sometimes, I'm a little slow getting one foot in completely. A slight wiggle, though, once I get going, and straighten the foot out, and I'm in. I wear Skechers, and I think the toebox is a little high, making it a little harder than it would be with sneakers or other non-work shoes.

I may, someday, start using an SPD-style shoe with recessed cleats. I may be able to work without carrying extra shoes, or I might decide that I don't mind carrying a pair. For now, though, I like wearing my street shoes and using the PowerGrips.

Thanks.

Jonathan