Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Mountain Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Started Racing...Need New Bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Bike Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-05, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am about to finished my first season of racing in Florida and did reasonably well in my class. Right now I have a 2004 Trek 6700 which I beat the sh*t out of constantly. It is a good bike ( a tad on the heavy side) but I'm not sure if it is worth upgradings. I changed some components (cranks to LX and rear derail. to XT) but nothing else. I'm only 17 and am very interested in racing... I'm not sure if a new bike is needed and if one is, what it should be. Lately I have been looking at the Kona Kula Primo...and I'd like to stay under $2000. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-05, 08:03 AM

Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are racing, and plan on continuing racing talk you LBS's in your area about getting grassroots racing sponsorship. My lbs does 5 Kona grassroots deals every year which for Kona is apx 35% off a new bike plus a Kona jersey. My lbs quoted my $2600 for a Kula SUPREME, so I assume it would be the same in USD as the retail prices are the same.

Go with whatever bike you can get on a sponsorship deal, if you can get deals from a variety of companies, then post which bikes and I'm sure we can help you out. Good luck!
Old 11-20-05, 10:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for the all around sponsorship/racing experience, find sponsors.
Old 01-01-06, 12:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had my LBS order the Kula Primo. In the end I'll save quite a bit of money off the original price (between traded bikes, swapped parts, and the grassroots thing)....somthing like $1700 from $2000 with a thompson elite seat post and a king headset, for free. Thanks again for your help. MY LBS offered me the Grassroots sponsorship program, but it is still a bit vague to me. I know that I get a jersey, riding shorts, and discounts but what do I have to do for them?
Old 01-04-06, 11:49 AM
Caustic Soccer Mom

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you have to represent each and every sponsor in a sportsmanlike manner, and, of course, winning is helpful!
Old 01-04-06, 12:23 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by apclassic9
you have to represent each and every sponsor in a sportsmanlike manner, and, of course, winning is helpful!
What she said plus make sure you remember to tell people how great the shop is. On top of that if you see someone with a flat offer to help them out, if you have a tube give it to them and then tell them it was courtesy of the shop you represent.

Also, don't bad mouth other shops or other riders. I know that seems pretty logical but it happens way too often. Attitude is far more important than winning.